Share This Page:

Problems with joining the Paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
FuturePara

Problems with joining the Paras

Post by FuturePara »

Basically I have been medical deferred from the Army because I have VSD if you don't know what it is google it. I have done my BARB and everything else but at the medical bit now. I also had asthma when I was young and needed an Inhalor I havent used one or had an asthma attack since 2005 I was wondering if i can still get in.

Also we or if I do get to the stage of ADSC and i get to the medical bit at the ADSC will he already know about my VSD and if so will he tell me to go home. I am just wondering cause I am at the point where I am training hard and I will do what ever it takes to be a Para it will be a dream come true. Please help me out lads.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

I've never heard of this condition so just googled it as you suggested and having read what it is my initial reaction is that I doubt you would be allowed to join the Army having been diagnosed with that condition.

I guess it all depends on the severity of your particular condition, but usually anything like that would be a bar to service, especially for the likes of the Paras as physically you will be getting pushed to the limit.

What did it say on your deferral letter?

Obviously Im only guessing but I'd prepare yourself for the worst as I've seen lads get knocked back for conditions far less serious than what you have.

To be honest though, I dont think anyone on here can give you a propper answer as it really is the sort of thing only a doctor with access to your medical history would be able to comment on. So I think it's best to just wait to see what the medical staff say, I know it's hard having to sit round waiting for others to decide your fate but unfortunately that's the only thing you can do in this type of situation.

Best of luck though mate.
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Basically my deferral said:

The reason for your deferral of your application on medical grounds is due to your past history of VSD (ventriculo-septal-defect)

You may reapply when you meetthe following criteria"
When you are able to provide correspondence from your out-patient departments of follow up of your tiny muslcar VSD which was due to be performed in 2008( I had a appointment in 2005 and had to have one in 2008 but didn't go to it so I got a Cardio appointment next week to see if my VSD is a problem for joining up)
We also require to confirm the date when you last used an Inhaler for treatment of your asthma symtoms. I haven't used an Inhaler since 2005 and I spoke to my Recruiter and he said you have to be 4 years clear of asthma and use of Inhaler... Is this true?
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Excuse me, but why are you questionning the up to date knowledge of the recruiter? He is the one person who knows what is correct on this subject. Why do you think that serving paras would know more than a recruiter regarding up to the minute info?
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Didn't mean to but he told me he doesn't know much about medical and that all the stuff should be done by the medical staff at Pirbright. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Looking it up it means that the wall in heart between the two sections is weak, and with that you wont get in.
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Right I need to be more specific, basically I have a very small VSD when I was born. My doctor told me it heals when you grow up so I think it has cleared now but I got a cardio appoinment next week to clarify this. Also my VSD contributed to my asthma which when I was younger was really bad, I had asthma attacks and needed an Inhaler frequently but I havent had to use it since 2005 and I havent had an asthma attack in years. With this information do you still think they will turn me down even though I am getting fitter and don't suffer from asthma anymore.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

I think there's a very good chance you will still be unable to join up so you need to prepare yourself for that eventuality, that way if you are able to then it's a bonus. Also if you end up having to have an operation that will mean you're unable to apply for at least a year anyway but more than likely any heart surgery will rule you out.

The reason that they're strict on these types of things is that even though you're fit and healthy now, under the stress and strain of training/operations things that may not affect you day to day in your everyday life can become big problems.

The best thing to do is to wait until you see the cardiologist next week as he will be able to tell you whats what as the condition may no longer effect you.

There's no point in trying to second guess things or seek our opinions as none of us are able to really give you an informed opinion other than to state the obvious that if you do have a heart condition it's a given that you won't be able to join.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

[quote="FuturePara"]Didn't mean to but he told me he doesn't know much about medical and that all the stuff should be done by the medical staff at Pirbright. Didn't mean to offend anyone.[/quote]

Ok fair enough, you had your reasons for asking.
Tab

Post by Tab »

With all the very fit young men that want to join the mob, can you explain to me just why they should chose some one with underlying medical problem
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Because I am determined to make a change in my life and do something about it instead of w@#k off tax payers money and siting around all day doing nothing with my life which people do because they are lazy bastards. I have always wanted to join the army since I was a young lad it's my dream to be a Para, I have worked bloody hard dor this oppurtunity and thats my reason. I know the army is strict with medical issues and I respect everyone trying to help me out. I understand that I might get declined to join the army because of the medical problem its just I am so determined to join.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Just sit it out and wait until the experts decide wether you as an individual meet the criteria. You cant do no more than that. Unfortunately you have had this problem and its hindered you , thats life I'm afraid. I dont mean to be harsh with you but its one of those things. I do know what Im talking about too as I had a similar scenario in that I had to LEAVE service before it had even started to go anywhere due to a detached retina! Naturally very gutting but onwards and upwards as they say. There are loads of opportunities out there that give the same buzz/reward but the trick is finding them and earning the right to do them. Keep your chin up as the outcome could swing in your favour, but dont expect the earth or get your hopes up as its easier to put a big 'X' next to a medical report like yours to that of someone who has no conditions!
'Every man an Emperor'
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Well I got my Cardio results back and my VSD is gone, I also have no heart mumurs and my blood pressure is good. So I am just waiting for the army to contact me and see if they will accept me hopefully they will as I have been training very hard.
wannabe-rifleman

Post by wannabe-rifleman »

FuturePara wrote:Well I got my Cardio results back and my VSD is gone, I also have no heart mumurs and my blood pressure is good. So I am just waiting for the army to contact me and see if they will accept me hopefully they will as I have been training very hard.
Give them a ring and let them know the results, don't wait around for them to contact you.
ITC Catterick - 10th January 2010.
Regiment - The Rifles.
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

[quote="wannabe-rifleman Give them a ring and let them know the results, don't wait around for them to contact you.[/quote]

I have but they said they will give me the results by letter like all of the other recruits that has been deferred its how the army works these days.