Share This Page:

1.5mile Newbie need help!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
p2009s

1.5mile Newbie need help!

Post by p2009s »

I have a few questions...first of all when doing the actual 1.5Mile run am I allowed to walk? e.g. when am out of breath or when am suffering from cramps? coz at the moment i can do it in an OKAY time but its like 7 mins run followed by 2 mins walk n then run again.. is this acceptable? I heared that if they see me walking for even abit its an instant fail?

Secondly I am not 2 sure if Im doing the press ups n sit ups excercise propali, am managin 12 press ups n about 15 situps b4 i need 2 rest and start all over again.. I am 5 ft 9 126 pounds.. I dont smoke or anything but i think i am just not fit enough.. i started training recently dont see much of an improvement... I am losing weight even though am eating double the calories i jus dont understand y...

please share your experience wid me thanks :)
liam115

Post by liam115 »

hi im in neer enought the same situation. what is your 1.5mile run time so far because what im doing at the min is about 3 times a week im going on 4mile runs (2mile then 2mile back) but im doing it so i walk 1min run 2min. when i did my last timed run befor i was doing 2min run 30sec walk and i plan on next week doing 3min run 30sec walk for my timed run and keep setting a new target each week untill i can do the 1.5mile in less than 12mins and hopefully without walking.

As for push ups and sit ups i would say try to follow the plan on http://hundredpushups.com and http://www.twohundredsitups.com/ thats what i plan on starting next week because at the min i can do about 5 push ups and 40 situps (i have no strength in my arms or i dont have enough to lift 18st anyway)
application form : done
BARB test : passed
Medical : passed

Training
Fitness : getting better
Run time: 11:02 (needs to be 10)
liam115

Post by liam115 »

lol 2 of you = 1 of me im 259 pounds and 6,10 ft

Training
p2009s

Post by p2009s »

liam115 wrote:hi im in neer enought the same situation. what is your 1.5mile run time so far because what im doing at the min is about 3 times a week im going on 4mile runs (2mile then 2mile back) but im doing it so i walk 1min run 2min. when i did my last timed run befor i was doing 2min run 30sec walk and i plan on next week doing 3min run 30sec walk for my timed run and keep setting a new target each week untill i can do the 1.5mile in less than 12mins and hopefully without walking.

As for push ups and sit ups i would say try to follow the plan on http://hundredpushups.com and http://www.twohundredsitups.com/ thats what i plan on starting next week because at the min i can do about 5 push ups and 40 situps (i have no strength in my arms or i dont have enough to lift 18st anyway)
I am runnin every day i do about 5-6 miles a day.. I dont know my times but i did manage 2 do 8 miles in 2 hours.. i think the best i can do right now ish about 15 mins if i time it...buh da fing iz i cnt run all the way i have to walk in order 4 me 2 rest lol which is bad i heard! btw 2 years ago i woz doing 60 situps in 2 mins n aroun 40 pull ups now i cant do it so am gona start all ova again but da problem is i am not 2 sure if am doing it right u c.
p2009s

Post by p2009s »

liam115 wrote:lol 2 of you = 1 of me im 259 pounds and 6,10 ft
yeh am thin but mayb its a good thing lol
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

where abouts in the south east are you based mate? If your looking for a training partner PM me.
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
Tab

Post by Tab »

The thing is they are looking for people that will be fit enough to do the course..If you can't manage to do the basics then how do you think you will fare in few weeks time if they let you in with a pack on your back and carrying your rifle. There are a lot of people that are coming forward that can do these things with ease, so you tell me who they are going to chose
liam115

Post by liam115 »

im sure if you can do 8 miles then ou will be able to do 1.5 easy i think you should time yourself you might be surprised

Training
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Tab wrote:The thing is they are looking for people that will be fit enough to do the course..If you can't manage to do the basics then how do you think you will fare in few weeks time if they let you in with a pack on your back and carrying your rifle. There are a lot of people that are coming forward that can do these things with ease, so you tell me who they are going to chose
I Agree!!!

I have to just echo what Tab's said here ... if you can't make the basics, then how will you fair when it gets tougher .... :o
The "basics" does what it says on the tin ...
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." - Winston Churchill
p2009s

Post by p2009s »

Tab wrote:The thing is they are looking for people that will be fit enough to do the course..If you can't manage to do the basics then how do you think you will fare in few weeks time if they let you in with a pack on your back and carrying your rifle. There are a lot of people that are coming forward that can do these things with ease, so you tell me who they are going to chose
well come on guys take it easy i am trying you know and ive only just started.. for some of you its easy coz u guys been doing it for months am just a starter.. i'm looking for people to give me advice on how to improve not telling me the army is not going to choose me and btw i've got a good few months b4 i go to the ADSC thanks anyways.
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

p2009s wrote:
well come on guys take it easy i am trying you know and ive only just started.. for some of you its easy coz u guys been doing it for months am just a starter.. i'm looking for people to give me advice on how to improve not telling me the army is not going to choose me and btw i've got a good few months b4 i go to the ADSC thanks anyways.
Don't take it the wrong way ... no one said you won't be chosen,. We're just trying to reinforce the importance of physical fitness and that you should be pushing yourself to absolute maximum capacity now ... cause it ain't going to get easier ...
I've been training for 8 months now, 7 days a week, 3-4 hours a day and have just recently increased my training to twice a day ... 2 hours in the AM, and 3 hours in the PM ...
I have a few months before anything happens, and more time to train ...... but I'm still bricking it :(
HRH

Post by HRH »

SG oh my god dude 3-4 hours a day 7 days a week?!?!?!
x
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

HRH wrote:SG oh my god dude 3-4 hours a day 7 days a week?!?!?!
x
Seriously, I have NO life :lol: .... and really want to get into the Army ...
HRH

Post by HRH »

blimey good going u put me to shame

8)
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
AstonJake

Post by AstonJake »

p2009s wrote: for some of you its easy coz u guys been doing it for months am just a starter.. i'm looking for people to give me advice on how to improve
Answered your own question there p2009s. There's no magical advice we can give you that will have you running like Usain Bolt, it just takes a lot of hard work and time.

Like you, when I started I couldn't run the distance without stopping to walk, but I have no problems now.

Just stick with it, be patient and you'll see improvements.

Good luck.