Share This Page:

joining the infantry

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
martin1234

joining the infantry

Post by martin1234 »

im 16, currently left school, since for a while ive wanted to join the british army, to fight for my country that i love, but i also want to try out for the medics but i dont know which would be better, cause i want to get into the army as fast as i can and jooin the lads in Iraq, can someone help me with telling which would be the best approch pleace?
confused_bolton_boy

Post by confused_bolton_boy »

Well for a start you'll probably go to Afghanistan, not Iraq. And I'm not too sure about being a medic, I think you might need to go to college and university so that would obviously take longer. The infantry would be a quicker way to get in but because there's so many applicants it would still probably take about 6 months, possibly longer, even if you're in perfect health. Your Armed Forces Careers Officer (AFCO) might speed you along the process if you're something special. But don't hold your breath.

To be honest, you shouldn't be joining the Army on a whim. If you really want it surely it shouldn't matter how long it takes. Have a really good think about it and go with your heart. Also, you should go down to your Army careers office and talk to the experts.

Hope this has helped in some way.
martin1234

Post by martin1234 »

yeh sorry i meant afganistan, i yeh its helped, thanks, at this moment in time though, i want to join and stay in the army as long as i can,i wanna help the lads currently in operation, and be proud of something ive done in my life for once,
Damien121

Post by Damien121 »

Well sorry to burst your bubble, But you would have to wait 2 years befor you even can get deployed, you should be aiming for getting in the army not about going on ops that comes later on when you and ur team has train right.
Going For ADSC 16 SEP 2009
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

Hi there i have just left school and joining harrogate army foundation college, something that you should look into if you are wanting to join straight after school.
Also there is a job called Para Combat Medical Technition which as far as i know you do not need any GCSE's as i got offered the job but you might have to score a serten amount on the BARB test.

Any question just ask Thanks.
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
ParaLad

Post by ParaLad »

Yeah best bet is looking to join the AFC ( Army foundation collage ) in Harrogate.
Im going there in Jan , para's of course :wink:
You need to be sure tis what you want and not just because you 'forgot' to get a place ment in collage .
You got any idea about what regiment your going for yet or you still not too sure .
Get your self down to your local AFCO . Do a BARB test send your medical off and get to selection , if all goes well you could be joining myself and ''Daggers'' in January 2010 .
Make sures its what you want , don't listen to your friends its all about you from now on mukka . :)
martin1234

Post by martin1234 »

the regiment i was thinking of joining is the rifles
srb23

Post by srb23 »

If i was you I would go to college first or do something that puts an extra qualification on your C.V.
At 16 there is no rush.
Don't go swapping one uniform for another so soon, get some life experience first because at your age I would imagine life in the forces would be a steep learning curve.
If its what you really want then great good for you.
Do remember that you would not be sent on a operational deployment until your 18 so again why not wait until you have grown a bit more.
Also how do your parents feel about this, i think you would need their consent first before being able to join.
martin1234

Post by martin1234 »

my dads happy with me wanting to join, but my mum hates the army but she still will sign the consent. im 17 in a few months anyway so i havnt got long till i turn 18
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

As has been mentioned. You will not go on Operational tour till your 18 anyway,
However you are looking for a job you could potentially be doing for 22 years, so my advice is this.
Look for the job you want to do and you have an interest in and think you could do very well in, do not look for the job that gets you into the Army quickest!!

Everyone gets an Operational tour or two in there career :D
Trust me you wont be short of excitement
martin1234

Post by martin1234 »

thanks alot guys