Share This Page:

Jogging with backpack

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Damien121

Jogging with backpack

Post by Damien121 »

Hey, i've been getting fit by jogging nearly every day and i was wounderin if i start jogging with weights in a bag would that help me get fitter and a better run time.
i jog for about a hour, i do stop now and again but that just to have a drink of water then i keep pushing myself.

thanks
Going For ADSC 16 SEP 2009
timex

Post by timex »

No, is the simple answer. Try and do various distances over different terrain. Try and increase your speed and build up your cardiovascular system. Don't wear boots either, just good quality running shoes.
Damien121

Post by Damien121 »

thats what i've been doing running in a woody terrain uphills and downhills. Also got some running shoes.
Going For ADSC 16 SEP 2009
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Dont start doing weighted runs. There is a time and a place for that, and its once you begin basic training under the watchful eye of instrucutors and PTI's NOT before. They have built up progressive training programs aimed at developing the body over a period of time so that it can deal with the added weight and stresses placed upon it, and its a tough buisness even for the experts not to break recruits so dont try it on your own. Cardiovascular fitness is what you need when you turn up on day one, and with the right frame of mind the rest will come. You want to be fit but fresh rather than fit but carrying niggles and injuries that may catch up with you later on during training.