Share This Page:

2 weeks leave from ITC

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
silas

2 weeks leave from ITC

Post by silas »

Hey guys,
just on my 2 weeks leave from catterick. had a really good time so far, mentally and physically demanding but really good.
Any of you have any questions no matter how stupid you think it is, from training to the kitlist anything just PM me or reply on here.

:D

Silas
Poachers, Royal Anglian Regiment
nel

Post by nel »

What's the longest run you've done so far and what week you in? Also what do your pt sessions consist of at the moment? Do you see the Guards about the place aswell by anychance?

Thank you
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

hey mate, i have a couple of random questions!

whats the hardest thing you have done so far?

whats it like in the field doing excersises?
silas

Post by silas »

Hey guys,
right ive just finished week 13. Just completed Tac Ex 1.
the longest run we have done is only 4 miles and the longest weighted march weve done is 5 miles. the most you will do there is a 8 mile weighted march. The PT sessions differ depending on what it is, most of the time if you do just a normal run then either before or after the run you will do circuit training aswell, if its a weighted march(TAB) then you will do battle PT aswell, which could be anything from stretcher races, log races, cannon run, tug of war, casualty evac it goes on and on. Then there is the assault course and the steeple chase, The hardest thing so far for me has been the assault course, when we did it without kit i found it prity easy, but a whole different ball game with webbing and rifle.
Yep the there are some guards in the block next to mine, there are also some on helles barracks.
Being in the field on ex is really good most of the time. the hardest part is probably the weather, if its raining the morale tends to drop dramaticly but its just something you have to get use to, Intro ex are just prity much lessons and learning how to administrate in the field, Tac Exs is when the real fun starts

silas
nel

Post by nel »

Cheers for the answers, also if you don't mind matey, Im running 5 miles comftably at the moment,my best 1.5 mile run time at the moment is 10minutes 28 seconds, I can do 48 press-ups, 60 sit-ups and only 7 heaves at the moment and im told to expect selection at the end of august, im going for the Grenadier Guards. I know it all needs working on but is this average in comparison with some of the chaps in your platoon? Also what is the pace that you run at is it 7minute miles, also (I apologise not taking the piss) when your tabbing how much weight do you carry and do you run and walk during tabbing?

Thank you
silas

Post by silas »

All your fitness levels sound prity good for your initial tests at ITC, you dont do press ups or sit ups at selection. and seven heaves is good for selection a lot of people that were there when I was only managed 2 or 3 and got in still. for selection just keep working on your run time, as you probably know your run time is good enough for what your doing but its always good to do better. With the weight on tabs it starts off low and increases throughout the course, were now tabbing with about 26 pound in our daysack/bergen, then the rifle and webbing aswell, think the final tests are 45 pound but not 100% on that. also yea on the tabs its running and marching, and belive me the training area is prity cheeky, there isnt many flat parts to it. you dont have anything to worry about with your levels of fitness, your levels are better than quite a few of the lads were in my platoon.

silas
nel

Post by nel »

Fair play, cheers for them answers chap. Yeah im increasing the miles I run and the amount of miles I do my interval and fartlek training over. One more question, if you could've trained for anything before you got in what would it have been?
silas

Post by silas »

I personally would have done more on my upper body thats my weakness. running ive always been good at. upper body strength is what its all about

silas.
nel

Post by nel »

Thanks for all the information matey one more, What do you think in terms of fitness e.g. amount of miles to run, 1.5 mile time, press-ups, sit-ups and heaves is a good standard for when I arrive their in order to compete in the competitions that might come up? Also do you get to choose a sport to do or two during the week?
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

I've got a quick question, durning training how offen would you get to make phone calls like to family, and the misses?

Cheers, hope you enjoying your break mate
silas

Post by silas »

If your not on EX, then prity much everynight and weekend you can use your phone. however the signal for phones is very very bad at ITC.

silas
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

silas wrote:the longest run we have done is only 4 miles and the longest weighted march weve done is 5 miles. the most you will do there is a 8 mile weighted march.
If you are going Para Reg it is a lot different too that, infact it will be at least double :wink:
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
nel

Post by nel »

Sandy how much do guards carry on their 8 mile tab in comparison to the parachute regiment?

Thank you
silas

Post by silas »

SandyTheGuvnor wrote:
silas wrote:the longest run we have done is only 4 miles and the longest weighted march weve done is 5 miles. the most you will do there is a 8 mile weighted march.
If you are going Para Reg it is a lot different too that, infact it will be at least double :wink:
Very true lol, ill have to wait till I get to Battalion before I experience the long tabs :)
Damien121

Post by Damien121 »

is it true the first 3 weeks are the hardest getting used to everything. i heard so meny people wanting to drop out on the frist cuple weeks but they stick to it and after about there 5th week they love it. this true?
Going For ADSC 16 SEP 2009