Share This Page:

Reapplying

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

sterion66 wrote:Gives the wrong impression or makes you look less stupid should you not make the time (for the 3rd time)
I do know what your saying mate, but don't be put off by the fact that you have tried before.... 3rd time lucky? :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

its taken me and a lot of other lads on this forum a hell of a time and dedication to get acceptance just for training with the paras, my friend gpw2009 is right, it is NOT second choice no matter what anyone says!
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

gpw2009 wrote:Para Reg is not a secind choice, people work hard to pass for this, don't ever call it a second choice!!!! :evil:
Get a grip, if its down as someone's second choice then its a second choice no matter what you think!

I know all about how hard you have to work to get to Para Depot, I've been there, more than once, having to battle back after a medical discharge to get back in only to end up getting kicked out again over the same injury and I LOVE the Parachute Regiment as much as anyone so don't go lecturing me!

He has a valid reason for not putting Para Reg as his first option, those of you saying it gives a bad impression and he shouldn't do it etc... are just too blinded by your own ambition to see it any other way (which is commendable and is exactly the attitude potential Para Recruits need to have)

Sterion66 on the other hand has to look at his options realistically. He's missed the run time twice and says he's not as fit now as he was so in all honestly that makes his chances of passing the run time even smaller (no offence Sterion) no matter what encouragement he gets on here. Therefore he really needs to make sure that he impresses for the job he's most likely to get.

Look at it this way, if he doesn't pass the run time and has to go with his second choice that's not going to be great for him, yes he'll still be in the Army but no one likes to have to take their second choice. And don't forget the competition for places now is tougher than ever with most jobs being oversubscribed, there's a possibility you may not even get your second choice at all and could end up simply being given what's available.

However, if he were to complete the run within the time limit for Paras then it leaves him in a much better position to then say to the interviewing Officer that since he made the grade for Para he'd like to take that option.

All I'm saying is that he should do what's right for him, encouragement is a good thing but you can't just take into account your own feelings on the situation and what you would do rather than what's best for someone else.

Sterion, good luck and I wish you all the best mate, I really hope you manage to pass ADSC for whichever Cap Badge you decide on.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

bored_stupid wrote:Sterion, good luck and I wish you all the best mate, I really hope you manage to pass ADSC for whichever Cap Badge you decide on.
Agreed mucker! Good luck.

Had a feeling that you had been in training before bored_stupid, so you know the score and I agree with some of what you say. Sorry to hear about the MD mate, any chance of you re-applying?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Cheers, nice that you can see it from my perspective. I have managed a 3 mile run through the forest up and down hills in under 22 minutes. The process of reapplying is a long one anyway so I have plenty of time to get fit and also to re-jig my job choices if i feel i could clear the runtime.

Thanks for the advice and help. I will be getting my new application under way very soon so i would expect an ADSC date either around xmas or start of new year unless things are taking a little longer. I shall keep all of you updated when i know the ADSC date.

Mike
adamb

Post by adamb »

Do yourself a favour and do not rejoin, I left April 24th best decision i ever made. Its not just about running anyways, the running is easy. But running at cattericks abit harder, they arent normal roads or hills there steep horrible hills lol, and loaded march is harder than the runs.

"" ignore my above statement just a tad angry i got a bill through from the Army saying i owe them money "" thanks :D
Last edited by adamb on Tue 14 Jul, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I think it's a bit harsh to say do yourself a favour and don't rejoin. If the army wasn't for everyone then we would have no soldiers at all. Military life obviously just didn't suit you Adam. Good luck in the future pal
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

gpw2009 wrote:Had a feeling that you had been in training before bored_stupid, so you know the score and I agree with some of what you say. Sorry to hear about the MD mate, any chance of you re-applying?
No not really, no Regiment or either of the other Services would accept me now cause of the injuries I've had.
adamb wrote:Do yourself a favour and do not rejoin, I left April 24th best decision i ever made. Its not just about running anyways, the running is easy. But running at cattericks abit harder, they arent normal roads or hills there steep horrible hills lol, and loaded march is harder than the runs.
That's not good advice, all that says is that you're too weak in the mind for the military and give up when the training gets tough it has no bearing on what anyone else would or wouldn't do if they joined the Army.

It's good to hear that you believe you made the right decision, the Army is certainly not for everyone, but please remember before you try and put off others from joining up that it was only the right decision for YOU.

I've no problem with people who join up and then leave cause it's not for them but don't become one of those people who slag the Army off to try and make themselves feel better about their decision I've met enough knobheads like that while in Hook Coy and quite frankly it's just pathetic.

I'm not trying to say you can't voice your opinion, but if you want to help out, just let them know what sort of things you do up there, don't just try to put them off simply because you didn't like it.

I re-joined and I don't regret it for one second as at least I know I gave it my best shot(s).
adamb

Post by adamb »

Im not trying to put anybody off but you have to think "why did i leave in the first place". It may be just a shock at first going from all that discipline and routine to normal and you might not be thinking straight. Joining the army is a tough decision to make, it takes commitment and determination. I left purely out of decision, i got to catterick gave it my best shot for the first 6 weeks, got the beret and the long weekend and thought hard about being there. Its a big big decision, especially if your younger like me. I had some good times and some bad times whilst at catterick, dont get me wrong its good for the people who like it,you meet people you do things you normally wouldnt do and you get given a lot of responsibility no matter your age. But I just think its a decision that needs a lot of thinking about when it comes to re-joining, you also have to remember your there for 4 years no ifs or buts. Its a good life for those who enjoy it i guess. Just think long and hard.