Share This Page:

Reapplying

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
sterion66

Reapplying

Post by sterion66 »

Hey

As quite a few of you know last year i tried at selection to pass for para reg and missed out on the runtime by 6 seconds. This happened twice unfortunately. My initial test in the AFCO was the BARB test in march which was completed with a score of 82 ending with the last selection in August '08. My question is when i apply to join this time will i have re-take the BARB test etc...I was going to ring the AFCO but figured i'd give it a quick try on here before i do. Also would it affect the application in any major way if i chose a different cap badge as first choice?

Thanks
Mike
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

i doubt very much that you will have to do the barb again, why do you want to change your job choice?
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I don't really feel my physical focus and drive is there like it used to be. It will be a case of going for a different cap badge as i feel i have found something else that i could potentially really enjoy doing. I will have para reg still down as my 2nd choice and maybe partake in the insight course again see if there is still fire in the old belly as it were. Basically as this would be the 3rd selection it's imperative to me to make a good showing. I don't want to be seen to fail a run time again. I love everything the para reg stand for and having had a previous relative take part at Arnhem that will always be there. My brain is more set these days for pushing the working things out side of things more rather than the mental strength of pushing your body to it's limit.

This is probably a really poor explanation but hopefully you get what i mean.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

There is actually a time limit on how long your BARB test is valid for, if your last BARB is outside this time frame then you will have to re-sit the test and all the other relevant stages for re-enlistment.

I think it's valid for a year but I may be wrong and it could be slightly longer.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

sterion66 wrote:I will have para reg still down as my 2nd choice and maybe partake in the insight course again see if there is still fire in the old belly as it were.
Why don't you just put Para Reg down as your first choice, because at the end of the day, if you fail for something else, your not really going to pass for the Para's are you?

Get yourself on the insight course mucker, and I bet you feel differently. I know it must be a kick in the balls missing out by a few seconds, but it won't take too much more effort to get your time down! Going for it again will show your committed and determined to get in!

Sounds like your just going for second best mate, maybe wrong though.... :wink:
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Correct GPW but nothing stops you on the day deciding that maybe you prefer your 2nd choice job should you pass all the requirements for the job. On the chance you don't meet those requirements for para reg it looks less silly having it as your 2nd option. It's my weird way of thinking and would feel less like a kick in the balls.

As for the insight course i did that in '07 and it was brilliant. It's not a case of 2nd best just that there are other jobs that interest me. Having had a shin injury last year and now it reoccuring i feel like my body might not cope with the training. Of course there is no real way of telling without doing it.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Just rang and bored_stupid you are correct. The BARB test is valid for one year after which you have to do a fresh application.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

sterion66 wrote:Having had a shin injury last year and now it reoccuring i feel like my body might not cope with the training. Of course there is no real way of telling without doing it.
Know exactly what you mean there mucker! After being medically discharged last time, and being very, very gutted for a long time, I was worried too. But it was still burning inside me to crack the course, P-Coy and all the rest of it and get to a battalion, so had to go for it again!

See where your coming from about the job choice too mate, it's down to you so whatever you feel is the best option, or way of thinking! :lol: :lol:

sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Indeed lots of brain work to be done GPW i think. The guy from the AFCO did say that they have pretty much filled their quota. It was a sweeping generalisation but did sound like a lot of regiments were full. I guess all i can do is get down there, fill it out and at get the bits and pieces done. Sounds like it will take a while anyway so gives me time for both thinking and fitness.

Cheers for the responses.

Mike
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

sterion66 wrote:Sounds like it will take a while anyway so gives me time for both thinking and fitness.
It will mate! A few of the lads at ADSC with me got what they wanted, but had to wait until next year to get in!! The sooner the better! :o

bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

sterion66 wrote:Just rang and bored_stupid you are correct.
Well it has been known to happen on occasion, but then even a broken clock is right twice a day :lol:

It wont effect your application at all having a different Regiment form last time as you 1st choice as this is a whole new application and you can apply for any job you like.

Also I wouldn't worry about putting Para Reg as your 2nd choice as if you pass the grade and decide to go for it then it will be easy to explain why you'd rather take your 2nd choice as you could simply say you weren't expecting to meet the run time requirements due to your past attempts and no one will really question that as a valid reason for taking your 2nd choice.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

bored_stupid wrote:Also I wouldn't worry about putting Para Reg as your 2nd choice as if you pass the grade and decide to go for it then it will be easy to explain why you'd rather take your 2nd choice.
Para Reg is not a secind choice, people work hard to pass for this, don't ever call it a second choice!!!! :evil:

sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I believe GPW bored was pointing out if it was put down as a 2nd choice for the reasons i stated, when it came to selection it could be explained why you want to take your "2nd choice" job instead of the 1st quite easily.

Mike
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

sterion66 wrote:I believe GPW bored was pointing out if it was put down as a 2nd choice for the reasons i stated, when it came to selection it could be explained why you want to take your "2nd choice" job instead of the 1st quite easily.

Mike
Yes but if you're going to take it if you get the time why not just have it as you're first? Putting it down as a second choice gives the wrong impression. Aim high.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Gives the wrong impression or makes you look less stupid should you not make the time (for the 3rd time)