Share This Page:

HELP! on Royal Green Jackets

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
Daggers

HELP! on Royal Green Jackets

Post by Daggers »

Basiclly i want to join the rifles or paras but i was recently steering for paras but then i saw Royal Green Jackets i cannot find out alot of imformation about them all i saw was that they are a shock tatic fighting force that go's into combat first before anyone else, and that they are sharpshooters, myself i am very good at shooting and im going to bisley to shoot against teams from around the world including the British Army team.

This appeals to me more then anything else if this is open to me im going to go all the way but ive been told they do not exist anymore and they are apart of the rifles (2nd batallion) i need to know which is true and they still do the same job etc.

Im going to selection on wednesday and have to decide like..Now becuase i think i might be deffered if i change my mind so soon before selection.
Im 16 in august and my plan was to go to harrogate.

Any help or advice i will be very gratefull...Please help !
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

There is no Royal Green Jackets anymore as of nov 07 i think it was.

The 1st Battalion Royal Green Jackets became 2nd Battalion, The Rifles
The 2nd Battalion Royal Green Jackets became 4th Battalion, The Rifles
the surviving Territorial Army companies of 4 & 5 RGJ, along with a company of the RGBW became 7th Battalion, The Rifles

The above is taken from wikipedia. From my knowledge weren't they light role infantry? In which case there are plenty of regiments that have a light role battalion.

Mike
timex

Post by timex »

I would suggest that before you rush blindly into something you do a bit of research, your info is both out of date and wrong.
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

yes of corse i need to do more research but i cant find much :/.

And yes so...do you wear the cap badge of the royal green jackets in the 2nd batallion rifles or did they just all move there and become a part of rifles...do the 2nd batallion rifles do the job of the royal green jackets?

My dilema is that i want to join rifles but the closest batallions to me is 6th batallion rifles which is TA and i want to join full time...the next closest one is 1st batallion but i wanted to join them in a later date in my career.

Any awnser's would be grateful
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
kweowusu

Post by kweowusu »

Daggers wrote:yes of corse i need to do more research but i cant find much :/.

And yes so...do you wear the cap badge of the royal green jackets in the 2nd batallion rifles or did they just all move there and become a part of rifles...do the 2nd batallion rifles do the job of the royal green jackets?

My dilema is that i want to join rifles but the closest batallions to me is 6th batallion rifles which is TA and i want to join full time...the next closest one is 1st batallion but i wanted to join them in a later date in my career.

Any awnser's would be grateful
What the previous posters are trying to say is that the Royal Green Jackets are now extinct! Invidual light infantry regiments, of which the Green Jackets were part of, have been amalgamated into what is now called The Rifles!
I'm with 7 Rifles, a TA unit which was previously a Green Jacket unit. The Green Jacket or indeed the current Rifles aren't sharpshooters as you think, they were like any other infantry unit. The sharpshooter affiliation has something to do with their regimental history.
Lastly, if you are intending to join the regs(full time), you don't have to join a unit close to your home. Accomodation will be provided in barracks!

PS. Make sure you consult your AFCO to clarify things with you; sorry mate but you don't come across as knowing exactly what you are letting yourself in for.
bataz

Post by bataz »

You can find plenty of info on the rifles at www.army.mod.uk.
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - Passed.
ADSC - 19/05/09 - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.

ITC Catterick - 23rd August.

Chosen Regiment - The Rifles.
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

Hi all i spoke to the careers office today got the same awsnsers really lol i am going to be changing my chocies to paras and rifles but when i spoke to my careers advisor i asked about where i would be based in the rifles...i wanted somewhere close to home and the closest to me is the commando unit of the rifles.
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Does it matter being close to home really? You don't get any more time off than normal and you won't be nipping home for a mums cooked dinner?
just_me

Post by just_me »

By the very nature of the Army you are going to be away from home.
How are you going to feel being out on tour for 6 months, in a different and dangerous country if you don't want to be based a little way away from home.
I'm sorry but from reading your previous posts you need to have a long chat with your Recruiter because you don't seem to know a lot about the army and what its about, nor do you seem to know a lot about your job choices.
You shouldn't join a Regiment/Corps that you know nothing about, you need to look around and decide what is for you before making your actual choice.
MY opinion anyhow. But good luck anyway.
And just in case you didn't know, the Para intake for September (AFC) is full.
timex

Post by timex »

Where is the Commando Unit of the Rifles going to be based??

First off as someone has already said you won't be near home after you finish training, (I still think you are picking Units for all the wrong reasons). If you want to be near Yeovil join the RN, or join the RM and try for 40 Cdo based at Taunton.
bataz

Post by bataz »

1 Rifles in Chepstow are part of 3 commando brigade.
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Interview - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.

timex

Post by timex »

Bataz, happy that 1 Rifles are in Chepstow and attached to 3 Cdo Bde, just wasn't aware they were going to be the Commando Unit.
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

Thank you for your awnser's all ive wanted to do since 3 is join the army, but i was just thinking of what i actually wanted to do as a part of the infantry i dont mind what i go into be it, rifles or paras because they do the same job and the paras are just gloryfied as they do P coy, i know january for para's is booked up and i dont really want to wait 6 months...i want to go in now lol so the rifles are looking best choice at the time i just wanted to see the pro's and con's of different regiments ive looked into all but i still dont really get the awnsers i want :/.

Basiclly my careers advisor told me that i can pick which batallion i would prefer and i might get to go there that's the only reason i asked, i dont mind being away from home and the army is deffinatly for me.
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
just_me

Post by just_me »

Daggers have you been on the Rifles 5 day Chosen Man insight course as I think you may find it usefull?
bataz

Post by bataz »

timex wrote:Bataz, happy that 1 Rifles are in Chepstow and attached to 3 Cdo Bde, just wasn't aware they were going to be the Commando Unit.
Sorry, misunderstood the post, my bad.
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Interview - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.