Share This Page:

Training advice/help

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
sterion66

Training advice/help

Post by sterion66 »

Previously i've had some great help in preparation but other factors had a great affect to my training schedule. Now i live very close to work and live in a hilly area. Basically before where i lived was pretty much flat and i managed 1.5 mile run in sub 9 minutes. It came to selection and got 9m 46s. I'm hoping the hills will help a lot more than the old flat lands.

At the minute i play powerleague football every sunday. For those who aren't familiar its a very fast paced 5-a-side outdoor football game which will include lots of sprints. Every other monday i play more of a relaxed 7 a side game but try and push myself when it comes to running, using it as more of a fitness practise.

I work shifts 6am-2pm one week and the other week is 2pm-10pm. So with this general outline could someone help me build a fitness programme.

Early shift
Mon - Football 5-6pm
Tue -
Wed -
Thur -
Fri -
Sat -
Sun - Powerleague 40 minute games

Late shift
Mon -
Tue -
Wed -
Thur -
Fri -
Sat -
Sun - Powerleague as above

Those days currently aren't blank i do weight training or body workouts but for the purpose of restructuring my training schedule i have left them blank. My current fitness levels are pretty good i would say 1.5 mile is low 10 minutes and 3 mile is around 22/23 minutes.

In advance,
Thanks

Mike
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Just for further information i have access to a cycle which can be used to goto work. This would be a 2.2 mile journey each way.

Mike
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

sterion66 wrote:Just for further information i have access to a cycle which can be used to goto work. This would be a 2.2 mile journey each way.

Mike

If i was you I'd start of by throwing 3 2-5milers in there and one longer run 6+ miles...
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Early shift

Mon - Football 5-6pm
Tue - Rest
Wed - 3 miler
Thur - Body Workout
Fri - 5 miler
Sat - Rest

Late shift
Mon - 3 miler
Tue - Rest
Wed - 8 miler
Thur - Body workout
Fri - 3 miler
Sat - Rest

Something like that? Football is sprints, 3 milers would be best effort. 5 miler start at 9 minute mile and same for 8 miler.

Any comments on those thoughts? My previous time from training saw me do 5 miles in 37 minutes so 9 minute mile maybe a bit slow but don't want to push too hard too soon and gain an injury after having a bad left shin last time.

Mike
J.Fazza

Post by J.Fazza »

sterion66 wrote:Early shift

Mon - Football 5-6pm
Tue - Rest
Wed - 3 miler
Thur - Body Workout
Fri - 5 miler
Sat - Rest

Late shift
Mon - 3 miler
Tue - Rest
Wed - 8 miler
Thur - Body workout
Fri - 3 miler
Sat - Rest

Something like that? Football is sprints, 3 milers would be best effort. 5 miler start at 9 minute mile and same for 8 miler.

Any comments on those thoughts? My previous time from training saw me do 5 miles in 37 minutes so 9 minute mile maybe a bit slow but don't want to push too hard too soon and gain an injury after having a bad left shin last time.

Mike
Maybe don't bang out an 8 miler after doing 3 and 5 mile runs. Maybe turn the 8 mile run into a 6 mile run then increase it every 2 weeks by a mile.
By doing an 8 miler straight away, you could injure yourself as your body isn't use to it yet. So, work your way up to that 8 miler.
I banged out an 8 miler after only doing 3-4 mile runs a few months back and i gained an injury from it. My advice would be to work your way upto an 8 miler. But, if you think you can do an 8 miler, then go out and do it. You know what your body can handle.
After building up the distance i can now do 10 mile runs. Be patient with your training programme.
Good luck bud
BARB - 71
Medicals - Passed
Interviews - Passed
ADSC- Passed
Chosen regiment - The Parachute Regiment
Start depot - July 12th
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Ok Fazza i suppose distance wise it should be more of a build up so i'll do 5 milers for now and when they hit 8 minute miles i'll put it up a mile maybe?
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

i would also recommend once a week a real lung buster workout, anything from hill sprints and fartlek to intense circuit training session, once per week make sure your gassping for air between 30-45 mins, hopefully this will take you out of your comfort zone and prepare for horrible stuff like the log run and the steeple chase at depot. the key with these workouts is to keep your body on its toes every time your out. best of luck to you mate!
J.Fazza

Post by J.Fazza »

sterion66 wrote:Ok Fazza i suppose distance wise it should be more of a build up so i'll do 5 milers for now and when they hit 8 minute miles i'll put it up a mile maybe?
pretty much mate. Once your doing 5 miles at a good pace, up it by a mile and try and keep that pace going. But, it's all up to you. If you think you can go for longer distances then you might aswell.
BARB - 71
Medicals - Passed
Interviews - Passed
ADSC- Passed
Chosen regiment - The Parachute Regiment
Start depot - July 12th
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Some very good ideas here. With that recommendation paraprep where do you think is the best place to slot that type of training in. Powerleague is fast short sprints with very small gaps resting. Granted this isn't the same as a full out air gasping session but believe me it does push my cardio. Would this be sufficient?

Mike
just_me

Post by just_me »

Sterion66 why not go out running for 40/50 minutes best effort once a week, this way you don't have to choose between 5 miles or more because you will increase the milage as you get fitter automatically.
Plus pychologically it's harder because there isn't really an end in sight.
I don't do this myself yet but I am thinking about trying it out, I just stick to 3-5 milers but I need to re-work my training programme now I have some time on my hands.
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

sterion66 wrote:Some very good ideas here. With that recommendation paraprep where do you think is the best place to slot that type of training in. Powerleague is fast short sprints with very small gaps resting. Granted this isn't the same as a full out air gasping session but believe me it does push my cardio. Would this be sufficient?

Mike
i wouldnt see powereleague as sufficent as a lung buster personally, buts thats your decision to make, ideally a lung buster should be done at the end of your training week the day before a rest day as it takes a lot out of you and reduces the risk of injury such as shin splints.

in my training as a rule i always train 30 plus mins, i never run less than 5 miles unless somethings gone wrong or im doing a PFT, my longest run is 8.6 miles mostly cross country, but i vary with my training in the gym doing cross traing 20 mins bike, 2o mins rower and 20 mins run, thats 1 hour pure cardio, im always f@#k after that workout :o but dont forget your upper body, remember the basics such as pressups pullups and situps.

best of luck in your application the the paras! :D
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

It's a bit of 50/50 really when it comes to it. Theres a timed run where you might not necessarily feel like you've pushed yourself fully or you can bring down the minute per mile for a certain distance which will automatically push you harder to obtain it.

Paraprep, i can see where your coming from when it comes to powerleague, guess this schedule needs a rejig before tomorrow...and thanks for the best wishes. Both Thursdays are body workouts i.e. pressups, situps and that. I can manage 50+ of both in a minute at the moment. Pullups is around 13.

Mike
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

I dont get this i dont do alot of training as i should and didnt do very well in my fitness day but i still managed a 9 mins 52 secs for 1.5m the other day....and i smoke :-?
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

when i was putting in the effort as part of my training back int day, my idea of a 'lung buster' would be to go out with my training partner and do a 3mile fartlek route with plenty of sprints chucked in. Then to finish we got a 200 metre long road that went up hill and done firemans carries halfway up then fast jog to the top and gentle jog back down,then change - was very hard work especially doing sets of 10 or more.
'Every man an Emperor'
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Revised plan

Early shift

Mon - Football 5-6pm
Tue - Rest
Wed - 3 miler best effort
Thur - Body Workout
Fri - 5 miler (7m45s per mile)
Sat - Rest

Late shift
Mon - 3 miler
Tue - Rest
Wed - 5 miler (8mm)
Thur - Body workout
Fri - 3 miler fartlek
Sat - Rest

All runs will include hills and my plan will be to reduce the time down to 7 minute miles. Once acheived i will run an extra mile at 7m 30s a mile for the 5 mile runs. I..e making them 6 miles at 7m 30s until they reduce to 7 minute miles and thus keep increasing distance etc...Starting tomorrow which is a late shift monday i shall note down all times.

EDIT : These will just be guidelines and if i progress faster than expected i shall reduce times or increase distances accordingly and keep you guys posted. The 3 mile route is a 1.5 miler route done twice over undulating terrain all be it smooth ish. So it will be interesting if i can eventually do the 1.5 mile in under 9 minutes as it isn't the easiest of routes.

Thanks for the help!!
Mike