Share This Page:

Advice needed

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
sterion66

Advice needed

Post by sterion66 »

Hey,

For those who remember i used to post a long time ago on this forum, first off a big thanks to those who helped me with my training you know who you are.

Last year after nearly 2 years training i went for selection to join the parachute regiment and failed the runtime by 6 seconds. With my heart set on joining the paras i deferred myself. In the following 6 weeks i trained harder but succeeded in getting shin pains which meant i couldn't keep the programme up and had to ease back to my previous training levels. My 2nd selection came and i failed the runtime again by the same 6 seconds. During my interview i had the same WO as the first time. He noted down in my records that he felt i was eligible for the parachute regiment and some other glowing mentions in my report. Of course he couldn't let me in as rules are rules which i accept.

My second job choice was my local infantry reg. At the time i felt this was still something i would enjoy. The time got nearer to doing my oath but a few days before i decided against it. Failing selection twice i had let myself down and i had put so much effort in over those 2 years i didn't feel like i could accept what was handed to me. Now im back to a similar situation although i am unsure of my fitness. I have kept fit but in comparison i don't know what my run times would be like.

I won't go through the whole process again to have the change of heart. I have to be definitely sure i will go through with it as i'm wasting not just my own time and money here. I am a sensible person and fairly well educated. I guess my question is guys what shall i do next? Is there a one week course i can go on to see whether it really is for me? I have a very well paid job and its a big risk if i leave and don't enjoy what i'm doing.

More experienced thoughts are welcome. If i remember rightly also there's plenty of ribbing on this forum but i'm expecting it.

Thanks
Mike
bataz

Re: Advice needed

Post by bataz »

sterion66 wrote: Is there a one week course i can go on to see whether it really is for me?
There are insight courses for most if not all Infantry Regiments, out of interest which is your local reg?

Also have you thought about joining line infantry then applying to transfer to the para's at a later date?
Application - Done.
BARB - Passed.
Basic Skills - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - Passed.
ADSC - 19/05/09 - Passed.
Chosen Man - 08/06/09.

ITC Catterick - 23rd August.

Chosen Regiment - The Rifles.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Well my local infantry at the time was 2 R Anglians. I've moved so it would be mercians now. At the time it didn't occur to me to transfer at the time. I have been on the paras insight weekend. I thought it was awesome i loved every minute of it although i'm sure it was a lot softer than the reality of training. I mean you can go on a holiday for a weekend somewhere a think it's great but stopping there any longer you might realise it's not for you. This is why i was trying to see if there was a weeks course or something.

I did hear in certain circumstances if you don't make it through selection they can choose to send you away for a couple of weeks for training with a regiment as I have a friend that did this. After all the things that were said to me it confused me as to why this wasn't the case with me.

Mike
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

If at first you dont suceed, try, try and try again. Im thinking the key here is in your preparation, as by the sounds of it with your attitude you have it cracked. To get that timing down you are gonna have to make a big change in your life style. Exercise, diet and rest will become your life. Forget going out with your mates or stuffing your face with the odd takeaway. Your goal now is to shave off that 6 seconds and then some. If I personally was in your boat I would take the positives from the scenario and use them to plough on and get it cracked. You wouldnt be getting good vibes from the staff if they thought you were a lost cause, so dont get too downhearted. I found a good way to get a 9min or sub 9min 1.5miler was to break it down into stages and build on it. Therefore half mile in 3 mins (slightly easier as your full of beans over lesser a distance) building up to 1mile in 6mins (harder) building up to 1.5mile in 9mins eventually (this is where you do the graft). Of course you build up over a period of weeks gradually easing into each stage but i found it worked when i done it and i was 28 at the time. Im now nearly 34 and im cranking out around 9.45 to 10 min mile and halfs so not doing too bad.
'Every man an Emperor'
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I never thought of doing it that way gunner. Training was my life though mate as you stated. Did so much research into foods aswell as training and asking very competent people to give me ideas for my training. The only issue i really had was maybe i didn't eat enough and the other was shift work made things a bit harder.

A cracking idea on splitting the 1.5 mile though. I think if i did that all the way up until 3 miles it would work wonders. Surrounded by hills here which is a different scenario to the flatlands i used to live in makes it all the more challenging. If i can crack the time over undulations then i should be able to acheive the time on a selection.

Thanks, all advice is still welcome

Mike
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

'The only issue i really had was maybe i didn't eat enough and the other was shift work made things a bit harder.'
that explains it. both them two make any form of progress a non starter so build on that. eat MORE (good stuff for sport) rest MORE (rest to let your body adapt to the punishment your giving it).
ill happily tell you now that if you didnt eat enough as a recruit and if it was very apparent, you would be given the choice - eat or face a charge.
i think you need to get the carbs and stodgy food down you mate and stop stressing. that way you will be like a finely tuned vulcan bomber swoopin in for t kill. my favourite weapon of choice to give me super human powers on a (civvy) 1.5miler was either irish stew or a plate of bacon butties bout 2 hour beforehand. (No i dont mean that was my staple diet).
'Every man an Emperor'
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Ok thanks, sound advice i shall get cracking this week and see where i'm at.

Thanks again

Mike
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

If you want to join the Para’s then I can understand why. They are a great Regiment. But daily life in another Infantry Regiment will be very similar.

i didn't feel like i could accept what was handed to me.

What was that as I am not sure what you mean? They were hardly offering you a chance to join Dads Army.

have a very well paid job and its a big risk if i leave and don't enjoy what i'm doing.

Then join the TA
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.