Share This Page:

SAS Selection and Training?

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Coxy14011993

SAS Selection and Training?

Post by Coxy14011993 »

How long is the SAS training? Do you learn hand-to-hand-combat? What does the training involve?
GunnerBhoy

Post by GunnerBhoy »

Mong
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Thank you for that insightful contribution... :roll:

Coxy, you don't seem to have much idea about what it is you actually want to do, maybe you should go back to the AFCO and talk to the recruiters a bit more.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
agapito

Post by agapito »

Its seems like you want to join the armed forces to learn MMA(mixed martial arts, and the other arts) get a life kid, i actually replied to your artillery post what a waste.
GunnerBhoy

Post by GunnerBhoy »

Apologies for the less than helpfull first post, Coxy im sure if your good enough you could practise your chosen martial art in any regiment of the army, if thats why your so intrested in handto hand combat that is.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Made me larf at least, especially as the question was so bone that it inspired you to sign up just to express your discontent! :P
Coxy, to quote our beloved Artist, "ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE OPENING MOUTH/PRESSING KEYS", or summat like that... :D
As you have handed in an application you must be serious about joining the military but as said you don't seem to know what you want to do (as highlighted by your sig).
Coxy14011993 wrote:Chosen Regiment = Not decided yet, but definetley either in the Infantry, Royal Artillery or Royal Armoured Corps.
I assume you have got the relevant info on those units from the AFCO but do some decent research on them using the net and ask on here if anybody has any experience with them to help you make a decision. If you haven't already look at other roles in the Forces as well, something you hadn't considered might end up catching your eye.
Note that the following words are banned from use at your AFCO meeting:
-SAS
-SBS
-Ninja
Back in my corner/hole then. :oops:
druadan

Post by druadan »

Coxy, sorry mate, but you opened yourself up for that.

It seems you are particularly interested in hand-to-hand combat. To the best of my knowledge no-one does extensive work on this, although certain jobs will teach you a little more. However, there are many opportunities in all jobs to pursue your chosen style with like-minded people.

I'll humour you with a very brief answer to the rest of your question. Bear in mind that even once you're in you'll only get limited answers as a lot of the detail is classified; if you ever get as far as applying for SF you have to sign a confidentiality contract before the briefing course, where you will be filled in on what Selection entails. Broadly, it's a little over six months long, and includes Aptitude (the Hills), infantry skills (including the Jungle - many say this IS Selection), SERE (escape and evasion, not as seen in Ultimate Farce), parachuting, and various other smaller phases. But then you knew all that from reading Immediate Action didn't you? :roll:
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

I love this place :lol:

Why did I ever leave...
Roll off...?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

This is what the SF forum is all about...having a bit of a laugh.

Seriously though, i can kill a man with my bare feet....do i stand a chance of getting into the special forces? Mummy thinks i will make it. :-?
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Well I was in the Forces and my mum thinks I'm special. Does that count?
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Mike90 wrote:Made me larf at least, especially as the question was so bone that it inspired you to sign up just to express your discontent! :P
Coxy, to quote our beloved Artist, "ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE OPENING MOUTH/PRESSING KEYS", or summat like that... :D
As you have handed in an application you must be serious about joining the military but as said you don't seem to know what you want to do (as highlighted by your sig).
Coxy14011993 wrote:Chosen Regiment = Not decided yet, but definetley either in the Infantry, Royal Artillery or Royal Armoured Corps.
I assume you have got the relevant info on those units from the AFCO but do some decent research on them using the net and ask on here if anybody has any experience with them to help you make a decision. If you haven't already look at other roles in the Forces as well, something you hadn't considered might end up catching your eye.
Note that the following words are banned from use at your AFCO meeting:
-SAS
-SBS
-Ninja
Back in my corner/hole then. :oops:
Mike long time no see, hows the phys coming along?

Have to come down for a session again sometime

Stokey
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Paratrooper01 wrote:Seriously though, i can kill a man with my bare feet....
The smell? :wink:
lewkey

Post by lewkey »

this made me chuckle, personally i cant take anyone seriously who shows concern for sf online. you wouldent beleive the amount of people (usually minors) ive caught out saying they are sas or they are training ect, and besides a true sas soldier or a soldier interested in joining sf wouldent talk about it.. some one serious and expsierienced anyway..

thats my thoughts.
Doc

Post by Doc »

SO thats why you posted a link to SF pics and asked why they are so scruffy and use M4's?

How many kids in Port Talbot say they are SAS anyway? I can probably see your house from mine ffs? Man the fark up and stop making our neck of the words see like a place for plebs.
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

I'm in the SAS and to be honest I found the hardest thing to adapt to was learning to soldier with a black cardboard rectangle glued to my face.

* I'm not in the SAS
** My dad is though, and he's well hard

Ok no, my dad's a vicar...
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???