Share This Page:

Army Infantry & RAF Regiment.

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
adambatley

Army Infantry & RAF Regiment.

Post by adambatley »

I've noticed on this forum lately there seem to be more and more candidates emerging for the RAF Regiment. I've been having a read about and i'm just wondering what the differences are between the Army Infantry and the RAF Reg?

From the outset it looks like the RAF Reg are primarily in place to adopt a Force Protection role but I know that II squadron RAF Reg are para capable, are they now taking a more agressive approach? or have they been for some time?

I would like opinions from both sides of the coin please. What are your thoughts?
Application - Done.
BARB Test - Passed.
Basic Skills Test - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - ??
ADSC - ??
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

iv been in both army (ableit TA 4para) infantry and RAF Regt. not much in it although will say this from my experiences:
Training wise -
although a TA unit 4 para wins hands down on the phys side of things, perhaps due to the nature of it being a airborne unit. 4para take no prisoners when it comes to the fitness of its recruits after all the end goal is two weeks of being put through the paces by regular staff at catterick so they have their pride at stake. RAF Regt yeah some fit lads in as recruits but when I went in I was classed as an old recruit at 28 and I was pushing myself harder than a lot of the guys there. There is not much 'aggressive' encouragement from the pti's but I hear that is changing now.
The instructors however at honington are second to none. very strict,on the ball, sharp and to the point. there was a flight made up of airborne NCOs which in my time I noticed got thrashed and pushed harder, but then I think its the airborne ethos coming through. I think its all heading that way now.
cant say what its like to serve with RAf Regt as my eye injury cut it all short. but from what my mates who got in and im still in contact with say its a different role to what an infantry unit does but not too disimilar. if you were to believe all the hecklers you would think all they done is walk up and down the perimeter of an 'airport'.
'Every man an Emperor'
green boil

Post by green boil »

There is a very big difference between rock apes (raf reg) and infantry Im not trying to bait anyone its just my thoughts, firstly as u may no the raf main role is to protect airfields and surrounding area and that means lots of stagging on, but infantry go and do what they are trained to do and that's the key to looking at either one of them and there roles, Ive worked with the raf reg for a small time at bastion and so no a little bit, But the conditions that the Raf reg work in are far better loads of spanking new kit and decent accommodation when on tour and back in the UK, if i could do it all again i would join Raf reg for the conditions they have to endure :D
adambatley

Post by adambatley »

So the Army infantry are more likely to experience contact?
Application - Done.
BARB Test - Passed.
Interview - ??
ADSC - ??
green boil

Post by green boil »

adambatley wrote:So the Army infantry are more likely to experience contact?
U need to get one thing sorted from the start there is only one infantry and that comes from the army, what ever the rock apes want to call themselves they are definitely not infantry, and yes the infantry will get more contacts, but also have a lot more deaths and injuries, but there has been a number of raf reg KIA so its not safe by along shot, again if i could do it all again i would join the raf reg
adambatley

Post by adambatley »

ok well thats cleared up a bit of confusion. I`m going for Army infantry myself but was just curious.
Application - Done.
BARB Test - Passed.
Interview - ??
ADSC - ??
druadan

Post by druadan »

there is only one infantry and that comes from the army
Last time I checked the Corps is classed as a light infantry formation, and is often referred to as amphibious infantry (though I stand by to be corrected if this is no longer the case). Although I take your point that if you are referring to the Infantry as a group (as opposed to a role) you'd be talking about the Army. And would generally follow the sentence with 'Effin Pongos' or similar :wink:
green boil

Post by green boil »

druadan wrote:
there is only one infantry and that comes from the army
Last time I checked the Corps is classed as a light infantry formation, and is often referred to as amphibious infantry (though I stand by to be corrected if this is no longer the case). Although I take your point that if you are referring to the Infantry as a group (as opposed to a role) you'd be talking about the Army. And would generally follow the sentence with 'Effin Pongos' or similar :wink:
You do have a point there, but any Royal that ive worked with have never referred to themselves as plain old infantry, I stand by to be corrected though
Artist

Post by Artist »

Just join the Royal Marines if you want to be a soldier.

I will say now more.

Artst
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Good to see you still checking in Artist, however briefly. :D
I looked into the RAF Regiment a while ago and although the RAF seem to take decent care of them the role just didn't appeal to me that much. Shame! :P
druadan

Post by druadan »

plain old infantry
Course not, no glamour in that :wink:
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

artist, how is the saying 'now' coming along?
I used to say 'breasts' quite often in the hope r lasses would grow a bit bigger.
ps how the devil ?
'Every man an Emperor'
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Plenty are great Infantry Regiments to chose from mate. Rich tradition and history. The world in your lobster and all that. :wink:
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.