Share This Page:

the Parachute Regiment Assessment Course (PRAC)

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
paraprep1

the Parachute Regiment Assessment Course (PRAC)

Post by paraprep1 »

Hey there lads, i got back from PRAC in catterick today having succesfully passed. A few of you requested i do a review on the course after i was done so here it is! :D My course happened to be the very first one, although we did find out PRAC was done in the past and finished in 1999.

Day 1: only nine lads were on my course, on arrival we were shown to our blocks, we were in the same block as regular para recruits although we never got to talk to them as we were kept on a seperate floor, the first day was mostly getting accustom to the daily routine of a normal recruit (although much less intense) we were shown how to make beds, how to iron our clothes and then procceded with the icebreaker. They then measured our feet and issued our boots, boot socks, helmets, coveralls, water bottles and bibs (the boots you recieve are the boots you will use in training), they also taught us to march properly so that we moved around camp respectively. basicaly day one gave us an insight of the basic discipline in catterick during training.

Day 2: up 5:15 immedietly strip the beds for inspection, then a lesson on how to shave by the sergant. 6:00 scoff then time to clean our room, 7:15 room inspection which was very basic. then we had a lesson on the SA80a2 the L110a2 and the bayonet which we would be tested on later, next was the PT. we marched to the gym and did the ususal 2 mins press ups and 2 mins situps then followed by the run, 3.5 miles followed by 1.5 mile best effort, the terrain wasn't severe but the hills did catch me off guard and the 'warm up' did tire me a bit, the 1.5 best effort was the most painful ive ever done thanks to the warm up and the hills. Later on we did the trainasium which we all completed easily and enjoyed doing, i was a bit nervous at first when i looked at it but it was really a peice of piss to complete, the only bits we didn't do were the 60ft shuffle and the run and punch leap. Then we went back to our block and did our life essay which is basically a written icebreaker in detail, plus lots about why you want to join the reg. The rest of the day was similar to day one plus a written test on the weapon systems they showed us earlier. in the evening we went to the NAAFI for a bit, but to be honest it was quite boring there.

Day 3: Again up 5:15 usual routine followed by scoff. then PT, we were supposed to try out the assualt course but the para staff decided to run us round the steeple chase instead (we wore our boots, helmets, and coveralls for this) they took us round once to try each obstacle one at a time, we were all a bit tired from the run the day before so the first go round nackered us all, then we did it best effort. As a heads up for future PRAC candidates i can honestly say ive never hurt so much from PT in my life! the steeple chase knackered me good and proper, after which the PTI got us doing pressups for minor mistakes people made in the event. after a shower back at our block the day ended with hasty interviews telling us how we performed then followed by a lift back to the train station.

Overall the course was tougher than i originally expected, both physically and mentally, however i really enjoyed the course, the staff were all great and approachable. They made it clear the main purpose of the course was to give recruits an idea of what training is like, plus lets them have a look at you, they made it clear that if you arent good enough you can say bye to the reg and join the line infantry somewhere.

Hope this review helps everyone, hopefully i haven't missed anything out, if you have any questions on the course i'll be happy to help :D
Last edited by paraprep1 on Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Cheers for doing the write up paraprep1. You recovered from it now? :D

Best thing I think about that is you get issued some boots to break in, the Marines do it and i'm pretty sure the RAF Reg. lads do too, so it's about time!

What was the new accommodation like?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Yeah cheers for that mate. Sounds good fun. What time was lights off at? did they have you working late?
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

Quick Question, the steeplechase, is it like the olympic ones or some sort of Army variation?

Cheers
wanna_be_sky_god

Post by wanna_be_sky_god »

What time you get on steeplechase?
Barb - Passed
Medical - Passed
First Interview - Passed
Second Interview - Passed
ADSC - Passed
Intake - 11th of January

Parachute Regiment
just_me

Post by just_me »

What time did you get on the 1.5m?

Oh and well done for passing! How many of the 9 passed?
druadan

Post by druadan »

And what is the L1110A2?? :o
wanna_be_sky_god

Last edited by wanna_be_sky_god on Fri 17 Apr, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb - Passed
Medical - Passed
First Interview - Passed
ADSC - Passed
Intake - 11th of January

Parachute Regiment
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

The accomadation is sweet! the rooms are very... well... roomy! :D

We just went to bed when all the jobs were done, about 10:15 i think.

The army steeple chase is alot more arduos than the olympic style one junkbox mainly because of the muddy paths and rocky streams you have to run through as well as the hills.

Wannabeskygod i they didn't tell me my time but i was pretty slow to be honest although they did mark the steeple chase out of 10 i got marked 9/10 i think the emphasis being on the amount of effort you put in rather than how fast you are.

on the 1.5 mile best effort i got 9.42 the para sergearnt said it wasn't to bad considering the warm up. however i came last in the run, all the other lads were seriously super fit getting times like 8.20 etc so competitively i had no chance beating them, they all passed accept one who failed his medical.

druadan the L110a2 lmg was a light machine gun (at least i think it was called the L110a2) plus after the lesson on that they let us play around with the weapons and have a good look at them which was pretty cool :D

im happy to answer any other queries! :D
wanna_be_sky_god

paraprep1 wrote:The accomadation is sweet! the rooms are very... well... roomy! :D

We just went to bed when all the jobs were done, about 10:15 i think.

The army steeple chase is alot more arduos than the olympic style one junkbox mainly because of the muddy paths and rocky streams you have to run through as well as the hills.

Wannabeskygod i they didn't tell me my time but i was pretty slow to be honest although they did mark the steeple chase out of 10 i got marked 9/10 i think the emphasis being on the amount of effort you put in rather than how fast you are.

on the 1.5 mile best effort i got 9.42 the para sergearnt said it wasn't to bad considering the warm up. however i came last in the run, all the other lads were seriously super fit getting times like 8.20 etc so competitively i had no chance beating them, they all passed accept one who failed his medical.

druadan the L110a2 lmg was a light machine gun (at least i think it was called the L110a2) plus after the lesson on that they let us play around with the weapons and have a good look at them which was pretty cool :D

im happy to answer any other queries! :D

Yeah the steeple chase is pretty hard i got it again next week. Week 14 of training.
Barb - Passed
Medical - Passed
First Interview - Passed
ADSC - Passed
Intake - 11th of January

Parachute Regiment
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

wanna_be_sky_god wrote:Yeah the steeple chase is pretty hard i got it again next week. Week 14 of training.
i don't suppose you saw us marching round the barracks did you? We got alot of funny looks from the recruits when we turned up!
wanna_be_sky_god

paraprep1 wrote:
wanna_be_sky_god wrote:Yeah the steeple chase is pretty hard i got it again next week. Week 14 of training.
i don't suppose you saw us marching round the barracks did you? We got alot of funny looks from the recruits when we turned up!

no my platoon is on a weeks leave.
Barb - Passed
Medical - Passed
First Interview - Passed
ADSC - Passed
Intake - 11th of January

Parachute Regiment
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

paraprep1 wrote:they all passed accept one who failed his medical.
What was the medical like mate, a full one like at ADSC?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
J.Fazza

Post by J.Fazza »

So you now have issued boots to break in!? That's a positive about going on that course for sure.

Did they give you a start date?
BARB - 71
Medicals - Passed
Interviews - Passed
ADSC- Passed
Chosen regiment - The Parachute Regiment
Start depot - July 12th
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

J.Fazza wrote:So you now have issued boots to break in!? That's a positive about going on that course for sure.

Did they give you a start date?
Where you at with your app J.Fazza??