Share This Page:

Para application Mark II....

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
gpw2009

Para application Mark II....

Post by gpw2009 »

Well after waiting '2 Years' because of a medical discharge, my application process has started again. Same old sh@t from the civi doctors side about filling in my medical forms (think they must have a problem with people who want to join up!?). The worst thing is they get paid £65 for doing it! :evil:

Passed all the initial interviews and passed the BARB test so well on the way. My recruiter is a sound bloke (Para Colour Sargent), so I think the process will be as quick as possible.

Looking forward to getting down to ADSC, but forgot how quick a 9.20 minute mile and half is! :D

Have been to Depot before (might have noticed from some of my posts), so will be happy to help with any questions about Phase 1 CIC PARA, and I might be throwing a few around myself for any changes that have gone on.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Mate, i go to Catterick on the 31st May, ive just got 2 questions about phase 1.
What exercises will i be doing in the first 6 weeks?
In the swim test do you wear your boots aswell as your kit?

Thx Rick.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

The programme has changed a bit, this is the new one I think:

http://www.army.mod.uk/training_educati ... 11743.aspx

But in the first 6 weeks I went on a few exercises. The first is just an intro into living in the field. Setting up your basher, cooking and some lessons on camouflage that sort of thing. They get progressively harder, more tactical, and you take your weapon. They are the best part of training, because you havent got to worry about ironing, cleaning (except yourself and your weapon, obviously) and you learn all the stuff you joined up for!

My swim test was just done in my PT shorts, really early on in training, may have changed though!

Bet your well up for it now?! 8)
_Mark_

Re: Para application Mark II....

Post by _Mark_ »

gpw2009 wrote:Well after waiting '2 Years' because of a medical discharge, my application process has started again. Same old sh@t from the civi doctors side about filling in my medical forms (think they must have a problem with people who want to join up!?). The worst thing is they get paid £65 for doing it! :evil:

Passed all the initial interviews and passed the BARB test so well on the way. My recruiter is a sound bloke (Para Colour Sargent), so I think the process will be as quick as possible.

Looking forward to getting down to ADSC, but forgot how quick a 9.20 minute mile and half is! :D

Have been to Depot before (might have noticed from some of my posts), so will be happy to help with any questions about Phase 1 CIC PARA, and I might be throwing a few around myself for any changes that have gone on.
Same story here... kind of... was 2 years ago but mine was daor though.
I didn't have to do an interview or BARB this time, just med forms and now just waiting for adsc date :evil: STILL!! :evil:
It's been around 2 months since i handed my medical doc's back to the recruiting sgt, :roll: i've lost count of the weeks.
Did a fitness assesment on Saturday though, got a 1.5m run time of 8.40, did the jerry cans, and got 12 heaves.

My goal is to get my time to under 8mins, i've had shin splints and i smoke, so i hope by getting rid of both of the nasties i'll get it sorted.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

My goal is to get my time to under 8mins
Bloody hell mate, you'll make the rest of us look bad!! :D

Just want to get to ADSC asap and get into training! Got to cut down on the fags too mate. Shin splints are a nightmare, so many of the lads in training go down with that!
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

gpw2009 wrote:Just want to get to ADSC asap and get into training
Same here mate,

I had to go to see the recruiting sgt today to sort out an opticians report, he said he's off next week and want to get my app squared away before he goes, so I'm hoping i'll finally get my adsc date before then.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Went back to my doctors today and they said to go back tomorrow! What a load of s**t! Explained nicely (yeah right!) that this was holding up my application, so I need it ASAP!

Is your recruiter PARA Reg, or another cap badge?
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

No, I think he's R.A.
The fitness assesment was run by a Para Reg Pti, Was odd because he was a private, he was built like a train though, mahoosive.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Was odd because he was a private, he was built like a train though, mahoosive.
Standard Para Reg isn't it? :D

Not only are the doctors doing my head in, getting a bit of grief off the girlfriend now! She knew when we met that this is what I wanted to do, but as it's getting a bit more real, she isn't liking it one bit. I've tried to explain about things i.e training and where the Parachute Regiment are at the minute, just so she feels involved.

Think the main problem is she asked what sort of things I would be doing after training, so I showed her a few videos off 'You Tube'....... big mistake! Needless to say I'm now banned form looking at them on her laptop! :D

Any ideas to win the chicks round?? :-?
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Get down on one knee and ask her to marry you? ha
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

partymarty1987 wrote:Get down on one knee and ask her to marry you? ha
You must be joking, i'm not that worried! :D
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

You wont be able to give 100% to the course if your worrying about her, unless you're one of these people thats got a solid relationship, the kind where she finds out you picture her sister when you're making love cakes, but she forgives you anyway because you're her little care bear! :lol:
Even still you will be away for long periods of time an she might get lonely, if you know what i mean....

In my opinion girlfriends are a problem during training.
You either miss eachother too much and end up leaving, or you dont trust them fully and dont concentrate on the task at hand.

I should be a marrige councillor i know, £80 per hour?
Call me on 0800 28 29 30 :wink:
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I agree with Mark. They can be a mind f*ck when your doing the graft down there and they aint happy. with hindsight I wished Id of binned the ex either before or during training so I could of gave it 110% and no additional unwanted stress and been one of the lads more.
'Every man an Emperor'
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

_Mark_ wrote: I should be a marrige councillor i know, £80 per hour?
Call me on 0800 28 29 30 :wink:
Tried this number, but they only talked about my bum alot, think you gave me the wrong one off your speed dial mucker! :D :D

Know what you lads are saying though. She knew the crack when we met, so it may have to be curtains for us when (if the civi doctors hurry up) I go away!
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Tried this number, but they only talked about my bum alot, think you gave me the wrong one off your speed dial mucker!
lol

:lol: :lol:

I'm not interested but have you got anymore numbers, you know..........where they talk about.........their bums. It's not for me like but me mate was just asking. :lol:
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.