Share This Page:

Why dont Paras get mentioned?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Well said HCR there alot more infantry regiments than just paras or Royal, a little known fact is the fusiliers at nowzad had more contacts than 3 para did on herrick 4,but as usual that got forgotten about

You carry on green boil, I like your style. :wink:
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Once you're in you'll realise that about 50% of what the press print about the military is wrong.
It's actually quite useful that way, and can be really amusing...

You'll understand why I can't give any examples...
8)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
fodd

Post by fodd »

Hyperlithe wrote:Once you're in you'll realise that about 50% of what the press print about the military is wrong.
It's actually quite useful that way, and can be really amusing...

You'll understand why I can't give any examples...
8)
Yeah it wasn't actually Royal that got caught by the iranians its was parra reg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Yes, they just didn't want certain people finding out that they've already let women into the Paras...
:o
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

[/quote] Well said HCR there alot more infantry regiments than just paras or Royal, a little known fact is the fusiliers at nowzad had more contacts than 3 para did on herrick 4,but as usual that got forgotten about[/quote]

Wait, so the Fusiliers had more contacts in there time in NowZad than 3 Para did in the whole 6 months of the tour in ALL the other FOBs in Helmand??? I hardly think so.

Besides, everyone knows NowZad was MUCH more dangerous when the Gurkhas were there.... 8)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
HCR

Post by HCR »

Paratrooper01 I never claimed the Fusiliers had more contacts than the rest of the Battle group put together. But you must admit they were sh*t on alittle by 3Para. Within a few days of being told they were going to Afghan they were out living in the Trenches of NOWZAD and stayed there for over 4 months. We spent alot of time there and life on that hill was crap. And that is not including the constants TICs that were going off there. I think it was the longest stay in one position in a wartime situation in British Army history. And they never got a mention. Noone even knew they were out there. People might say so what, its your job get on with it. But its nice to have recognition. And its not nice when you see all the press and books being written aimed just at 3Para and everyone else is f*cked off. The same must be for the Rifles who are out there now. They only get a mention when one is sadly killed.
Apart from that I enjoyed it out there with 3Para. Very chilled and never really gave it the big HAT attitude even though its never bothered me anyway.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
fodd

Post by fodd »

Alright paratrooper01 hows things? mate I can't resist im heading back to asia end of the year after australia for more adventures tubing in vang vien :lol: :lol:
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

HCR wrote:Paratrooper01 I never claimed the Fusiliers had more contacts than the rest of the Battle group put together. But you must admit they were sh*t on alittle by 3Para. Within a few days of being told they were going to Afghan they were out living in the Trenches of NOWZAD and stayed there for over 4 months. We spent alot of time there and life on that hill was crap. And that is not including the constants TICs that were going off there. I think it was the longest stay in one position in a wartime situation in British Army history. And they never got a mention. Noone even knew they were out there. People might say so what, its your job get on with it. But its nice to have recognition. And its not nice when you see all the press and books being written aimed just at 3Para and everyone else is f*cked off. The same must be for the Rifles who are out there now. They only get a mention when one is sadly killed.
Apart from that I enjoyed it out there with 3Para. Very chilled and never really gave it the big HAT attitude even though its never bothered me anyway.
With reference to the book thing, it would be better if someone from the Regiment wrote a book instead of waiting for an author to write one, like that bloke from the Army Air Corps did, Apache i think the name of his book was. 3 Para was the main focus of that tour, like 2 Para was last summer. Thats the way it is, and its wrong that they are seen as the only units out there. But when a book is entitled "3 Para" its not going to be about the Fusiliers...
Tab

Post by Tab »

During Malaysian Emergency it was a three year out there with no flights home. A National Serviceman would be shipped out to strange places around the globe and stay there until he two years was up. I did around eleven months in Cyprus during that emergency then I was on the Suez invasion then came back to Cyprus and carried on with the Cyprus Emergency. During WW2 my father was recalled in 1938 and he did not get home until the start of 1947.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

In 2006, A Company Group 2RRF fought the longest defensive battle British troops have been involved since Korea, with 107 days spent in contact with the Taliban in Now Zad, Helmand Province Afghanistan.

The Lord Mayor said; "We in the City of Birmingham would like to thank the fusiliers who were the first regiment into Iraq in 2003, fought the longest battle in Afghanistan and who had more service in Northern Ireland than any other regiment. Welcome home."

The Freedom of the City of Birmingham celebrates The Second Fusiliers return home after two deployments to Iraq and four to Afghanistan in two and a half years, from their base in Cyprus.

Come get some!
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Fusilier wrote:The Lord Mayor said; "We in the City of Birmingham would like to thank the fusiliers who were the first regiment into Iraq in 2003, fought the longest battle in Afghanistan and who had more service in Northern Ireland than any other regiment. Welcome home."

The Freedom of the City of Birmingham celebrates The Second Fusiliers return home after two deployments to Iraq and four to Afghanistan in two and a half years, from their base in Cyprus.

Come get some!
As i said previously, get one of your old sweats to write a book about it, then maybe people might be interested.

And the Lord Mayor forgot to mention the Iraqi prisoner abuse in 2003 which gave you such praise in our national newspapers. Another reason to celebrate im sure.

Come get some? I would love to, but im in Southern California parachuting for 4 weeks.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

And the Lord Mayor forgot to mention the Iraqi prisoner abuse in 2003 which gave you such praise in our national newspapers. Another reason to celebrate im sure.

Is being proud of ones Regiment some sort of crime now?

The Lord Mayor did not mention Bloody Sunday either. You can praise Lee Clegg if you want. Both of these were in more than just the nationals. Want to celebrate them pal.

See it's a silly game we all can play. :-?
Come get some? I would love to, but im in Southern California parachuting for 4 weeks.

You can poke that, I'm not slumming it. It's the Maldives for me.........again. :wink:

Come get some.
Last edited by Fusilier on Fri 06 Mar, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Yawn...

I should be back from where I'm going on about the 25th - please can you two have sorted this out by then?

Mind you, I don't intend to try and read all the new posts when I do log in again, there were over 500 last time and I'd only been gone 5 days!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Fusilier wrote: You can poke that, I'm not slumming it. It's the Maldives for me.........again. :wink:
Too bad you never made it to a decent unit where you get to do this shit for free eh. :roll:

Come and tell me all about your silly games at about 11 tonight mate when im asleep. Cheers. :wink:
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Too bad you never made it to a decent unit where you get to do this shit for free eh.
Wake up silly boy. We all get free holidays in the Army. Canada and skiing in Germany were two of the best. That said Cyprus is one big holiday. Not to mention all the travelling with the Army team, if you was any good at sport and did not spend all your time in bed you would find out. :roll:

ZZZZZzzZZZ ZZZ zzz ZZZZ

Night night. lol :wink:

Bless.

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.