Share This Page:

Eyesight

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Brummielad

Eyesight

Post by Brummielad »

Im interested in joining the parachute regiment, but as the title says i think eyesight may be a big problem for me.

Is there any way i can check if i have good enough eyesight before going through all the application proccess? Beucase i heard you get your eyesight test on selection day.

May sound stupid but its hard to motivate myself fitness wise for a selection day knowing that my eyesight may very fail, i just want it out the way so then i can crack on train so to speak.
just_me

Post by just_me »

If you wear glasses or have any problems with your eyes you will given an eyesight form for your optician to fill out.
Wike

Post by Wike »

Yeah so just go see a optician. I went last week dont take long and only costs 20 quid.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Your eye test at ADSC requires you to be able to read letters on a board as if you were in an optitions, if you can read the second line from the bottom without a problem i think you will be fine.
When they tell you to cover one of your eyes dont press it, you will have a blur vision when you do it with your other..
Good luck anyway mate!

Rick.
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

I dont mind paying for an eye test. So should i go to the carearrs office and ask for an eyesight form?
just_me

Post by just_me »

They will give you the form when needed.
Wike

Post by Wike »

Brummielad wrote:I dont mind paying for an eye test. So should i go to the carearrs office and ask for an eyesight form?
I would do it mate. I went in and got my med forms and eye test done pre maturely If I was you I would do the same and get them done ASAP pal.
drummerja

Post by drummerja »

i have the same problem man. however, when you had your eyes tested for your glasses, you should ask them what the requirements are for eye sight in the army. you dont need better eye sight to be a para, than to be reg soldier. apperently, my eyes were far off from being anywhere close to their minimum requirements, just hope i can read the lines then. Good luck!
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

its a nightmare i just want it out the way. I havent even handed in an application form yet so should i do that, then say im worried about my eyes can i have a optician form?

Sounds stupid i know but i havent got a clue how to go about it becuase my mate whose in 2Para had his eyes tested only on his selection day.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Go to your local AFCO and apply, you'll be given the Opticians forms either with your application pack or your medical forms. Then make an apointment at Specsavers or wherever and ask them to fill out the form for you. They'll give you a standard eyetest, fill out the form and then you are on your way.
Attach the Opticians forms to your medical forms and they will sent away together. If there are any problems you will be contacted.

Good luck mate, you are probaly just worrying for the sake of worrying (I do that aswell :wink: )
Brummielad

Post by Brummielad »

cheers mate. Fingers crossed i havent got anything to worry about. If i have well looks like im selling the big issue up town ( only joking) 8)

Out of interest on the chart whats the minimum you have to be able to read with both eyes? Is it secound biggest line?

A

BC< that line for e.g
Doc

Post by Doc »

Strange question to post in a forums about pet ardvarks brummie?
just_me

Post by just_me »

Brummielad wrote:cheers mate. Fingers crossed i havent got anything to worry about. If i have well looks like im selling the big issue up town ( only joking) 8)

Out of interest on the chart whats the minimum you have to be able to read with both eyes? Is it secound biggest line?

A

BC< that line for e.g
No idea, I just read what I was told to read out.
Tab

Post by Tab »

When you go for your interview it might be best to leave your guide dog and white stick outside.
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

Mate dont worry about it. I've just passed selection for the paras but failed the eye test. I've never wore specs in my life. All ive got to do is get my eyes tested get some glasses and go beck to glencorse and do the eye test again. They told me itsnothing to worry about