Share This Page:

Fighting Fit for SAS,Commando and Para Selection

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
tgc225

Post by tgc225 »

It is available from www.play.com

tgc225
adamb

Post by adamb »

I know this topic is pretty old now but the book 'Fighting Fit the complete SAS fitness training guide' is a really good book. Im not one for reading but i thought id get the book and give it a go, its got all kinds of excercises, food facts, night navigation anything you can think of its a good buy for 5.99 from play.com or amazon.
Baron Greenback

Post by Baron Greenback »

AdamB wrote:I know this topic is pretty old now but the book 'Fighting Fit the complete SAS fitness training guide' is a really good book...
Yeah, I've got a copy. It's a pretty good read for anyone wanting to get fit really (not just those dreaming of the SAS!) - with sensible advice in a nice easy to use format, i.e. weekly schedules etc.

Another one I've read about SAS selection is "The Quiet Soldier" by Adam Ballinger. It details his pathway through selection. He quits after passing selection, which seems to be a bit of a waste of our (tax payers) money IMO!
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Yeah, that Adam Ballinger book put me off ever thinking about joining SAS(R)! You'd have to really really want it after reading that!
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
Baron Greenback

Boxingmad wrote:Yeah, that Adam Ballinger book put me off ever thinking about joining SAS(R)! You'd have to really really want it after reading that!
Dunno. Well, obviously you are going to have to want it - it's special forces after all! I remember reading that SF is 'bloody hard soldiering' somewhere - it's not James Bond! It really sunk in when I read that - i.e. it's like being a normal infantry soldier and then some..

Cheers,
Neil.
803troop

Re: Fighting Fit for SAS,Commando and Para Selection

Post by 803troop »

[quote="eroo"]well,this is my first post here..so here goes nothing!!i thought id try and help those who ask questions about fitness levels for SAS,SBS,Commandos or Para Selection.Rather than give a complicated answer,i will tell you this:
the book 'Fighting Fit:Fitness Training Guide For SAS Selection' by Adrian Weale will get you fit,then even fitter.there is a 'Fighting Fit' programme lasting four months which will have you unbelievably fit,then individual Selection Training programmes for SAS,Commandos and Paras.this could also be used as a guide for Irish Army Ranger Wing selection.
Basically,if you are military and are looking for a career in Special Forces,then this is essential for you.With instructions on running,swimming,weightlifting,cycling,bergan workouts,mountain training,survival kit,first-aid kit and more!Even if you are a civvie(like me!) the fighting fit programme will get you to a peak level of fitness.
if you have any other suggestions for those interested in SF careers,why not post them here to help those in preparation for SF selection!?

*i dont claim to be an expert on SF selection but i have seen fitness plans for Irish ARW selection and this book gives same guidelines and then some!

-eroo[/quote]

How can a book get you fit? If someone is willing to put the time an effort in following a decent program, they will get fit. Merely reading a book , however, will not.

Baz
Baron Greenback

Re: Fighting Fit for SAS,Commando and Para Selection

[..]How can a book get you fit? If someone is willing to put the time an effort in following a decent program, they will get fit. Merely reading a book , however, will not.

Baz
Just thinking, if you want to join 'special forces' then you probably need to know how to get fit without a book :). It's a bit silly no? These days everyone needs a guide or a book to do owt. I don't think Captain Cook had a guidebook.
ofens

Post by ofens »

That's a fair point, well made, but having read this particular book I think it's fair to say
it's aimed partly at civis who want to get fit (either from beginner or already very fit),
and partly at serving people who want a structured plan and some guidance from someone who knows about it.

Even the most fit person will benefit from reading someone else's ideas and training methods.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Baron Greenback

ofens wrote:That's a fair point, well made, but having read this particular book I think it's fair to say
it's aimed partly at civis who want to get fit (either from beginner or already very fit),
and partly at serving people who want a structured plan and some guidance from someone who knows about it.

Even the most fit person will benefit from reading someone else's ideas and training methods.
Cheers, Yeah you're quite right.. I spend a fair bit of time looking at training stuff and I consider myself quite fit :) On a side note mtn athlete (bit like crossfit) have some good stuff and are currently looking at military training see http://www.mtnathlete.com/

Got to say I love this old school training (crossfit, mtb athlete, etc.) but it's not for everyone. You need a good cardio base before you attempt it.

Neil.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Cheers Neil, that looks really interesting... there's some good exercises on there!
Will check it out. Best call A&E to book my appointment...
ofens 8)
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]