Share This Page:

Circuit Training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ste Preece

Circuit Training

Post by Ste Preece »

Guys: Whilst I appreciate that most of you have some form of circuits to work against. Here's one that I prepared for a friend of mine. Note: he trains with me in Ninjutsu, so his Monday's are spent in the Dojo:

MONTHLY TRAINING ROUTINE

Week 1

Monday: Ninjutsu

Tuesday: 3 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.
(Timed)

Wednesday: Day Off

Thursday: 3 Mile Run –followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.
(Different run Route) – Timed

Friday: Day Off

Saturday: 3 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.
(Either route – Not Timed)

Sunday: Day Off

Note: If you put a weight-training circuit together then always use a weight that you can do no less that 20 reps with. You may find it hard lifting lighter weights because you are used to heavier weights. It’s all in the mind, just focus on the goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Week 2

Tuesday: 4 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.
(Timed)

Thursday: 3 mile Run with Banks or hills for Sprint Training - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.

(Different Route) – Timed – Sprint up banks and run steadily down them.

Saturday: 4 Mile Run - followed by: 5 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.
(Either route – Not Timed)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 3

Tuesday: 3 Mile Run - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.

Thursday: 5 Mile Run - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.

Saturday: 5 Mile Run only. Timed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 4

Tuesday: 5 Mile Run - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training.

Thursday: 4 Mile Run – with sprints - followed by: 6 Sets of Tonne Ups or weight training circuit.

Saturday: 6 Mile Run only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonne Ups

If possible run between two mats, that are 15 Metres apart. Start by running to the first mat and doing your first set on it. Complete the set and then run to the next mat & do the next set. Then back and forth between the mats, doing the next set of exercises at each one, until complete. If you only have one mat then run to a marker and then back to the mat to do the exercises. Give your self 3 minutes rest at the end of each complete circuit.

If possible, this is best performed by two people. One does the exercise, whilst the other calls out the required exercise as you reach the mat. If you’re training on your own and forget the order of exercise. Write them in large print and keep the list next to the mat so that you can follow it.

Sit Ups x 10

Press Ups x 10

Burpees x 10

Squat Thrusts x 10

Dorsals x 10

Wide Arm Press Ups x 10

Star Jumps x 10

Alternate Leg Situps x 10

Tuck Jumps x 10

V- Sits (Alternate Leg optional) x 10

Note: You can also pyramid this by doing 10 repetitions for the first circuit, then 8 for the second and 6 for the 3rd etc. And, of course, you can increase the number to 12 or 15 and then work through it or down in a pyramid. Or start with low resps and work towards the higher reps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

Rest Days

Always rest on rest days. It’s important to let your body recuperate its energy and for your muscles to repair themselves.

Weight

Don’t run with weight on your back.

Form

Do your exercises correctly, completing each repetition fully, rather than cheating so that you can do them quicker.

Stretching

Always stretch before and after each training session. Stretch each muscle for at least 20 seconds. Never bounce when stretching.

Runs

Try and maintain a steady pace over the distance you are covering. Except for the sprint training days, when you will be thrashing the sprints.

Illness

If you have Flu or are feeling unwell, don’t train. You’ll only run yourself down further!!

Programme

Keep a training diary. Retime your runs on the week stated to monitor progress. Always try to better the last time you made.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This is only one type of training circuit and I'm sure you have many more.

The secret is to make it work for you, in that you do less reps if its above your current level of fitness or you do more if you can.

However, all in all, its shows a route of fitness progression, boosting your fitness levels and tracking it too. Which adds to your preparation.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

I have a lot of time for things like this.

"The secret is to make it work for you, in that you do less reps if its above your current level of fitness or you do more if you can."

Whilst taking that in to account, may I make a small suggestion.

Since you said the guy trains with you (you need someone to shout change) you could use a time limit instead of reps... I find going balls out for however long leaves you absolutely dangleberries. Just for example, 1st set 1min on each exercise, 2nd set 1min and a half, 3rd set 1min.

Let me know what you think if you give it a try. :wink:
Roll off...?
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I first came across tonne ups at boxing... on paper I thought it looked easy, regularly doing sets of exercises with far more than ten reps but after two or three round I was fooked.

Really good conditioner and something I use regularly.

Stokey
803troop

Post by 803troop »

Some decent advice from Mr Preece.

Cheers Steve.
Ste Preece

USMC

Post by Ste Preece »

Your welcome.

Another good idea is the USMC Gym Test. (United States Marine Corps, Fitness Test).

Which is doing as many of the different exercises that you can in one minute. i.e. Most pressups in one minute, most situps in one minute etc etc.

Record your figures and then go at your training regime for a month. Then try the USMC test again and compare the results.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Ste Preece

Good Feedback

Post by Ste Preece »

One of the guys sent this to me on Facebook a few days ago. Its positive.

Hey, I passed my PRMC, and i will start my recruit training on the 11th february, There was a curcuit that i have been doing of yours about 9 days prior to the PRMC, and i can tell you, the curcuit helped me a lot, on recovery time, and working the different muscles, and rolling onto the next workout swiftly helped, with the high speed of PRMC and the little time to recover, it helped me keep up with the fitness demand, so i thank you massivly for it. So, 11th may here i go, Into the deep blue.

I wish him all the very best of luck

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource