Share This Page:

Warzone

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
just_me

Warzone

Post by just_me »

Was looking in my TV Guide and saw this, a new TV Series on service personell in Afghanistan which might be worth a look if you are up and in on a Monday night:
Monday 5th January, 21:00 - 22:05
"Documentary following the lives of servicemen and women at Kandahar Airbase in Afghanistan. The facility is equipped with fast-food outlets, football pitches, massage parlours and an ice-hockey rink to provide the 10,000 resident troops with a sanctuary from combat, as well as create a familiar environment for the 4,000 civilians who live there. In the first episode, a Harrier jump jet is scrambled to fight the Taliban and a new squadron of recruits arrives from the UK"

*EDITED FOR TIME*
Last edited by just_me on Sun 04 Jan, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tommy237

Post by tommy237 »

cool, i'll be tuning in ... what channel?
just_me

Post by just_me »

Crap, forgot about that! Channel 5 so you can always catch it on their equiv of iPlayer if you don't feel like staying up. Mind you it does say repeat on the TV Guide so I must have missed the first viewing (and I wasn't accurate when I said "a new TV Series"!
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

I'll give that a look, could be interesting. Channel 5 though, hmm...
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Just to clear stuff up the series starts tomorrow (monday nite at 9pm) :).
just_me

Post by just_me »

Tom163 wrote:Just to clear stuff up the series starts tomorrow (monday nite at 9pm) :).
Alright I wasn't too late then, good. I'll edit my post. Monday it is...!
just_me

Post by just_me »

Questionable program, was expecting something a bit more involved with frontline units and thought the Kandahar installment was just the first one not the whole series. It was never going to be a Ross Kemp In Afghan contender but still. I guess that's what you get from Channel 5 then.

It looks quite comfortable there and I think SOME viewers may get the wrong impression of what is going on in Afghanistan because I'm sure it's not all Discos, Burger Kings and Sunbathing.
adamb

Post by adamb »

missed it, may have to watch it on demand 8)
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

i watched it i have to say i did enjoy it as i am looking to go in the army did give me a complete different view of army life though i have to say, but i am takin a guess at its a lot different once your over there lmao i could see this giving off the wrong impression myself altough i am going to watch the next episode just have to see how it goes does anyone know when the next episode is on??

thanks Dawber
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

I haven't seen it yet, looks like I'll have to stay up and see the repeat on thursday when I won't have to compete with my housemate for the TV. From what I've heard though it wasn't much of an insight into what life is really like on tour?
Apparently some Admin Officer going sunbathing and doing paperwork?? Not quite the same as going out on patrol with the RAF Regt or life at a FOB with the infantry!
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Just_Me is right, this relay doesn't give an insight in to half of what army life is like 'Over there'.

Hopefully throughout the program they will progress from Playstation playing RAF boys and girls and move on to some Hard slugging Para/Inf/Marine, it all depends on who's based there i supposed, not sure if Para Marines or INF are actually ''don't know hazy on positions'' lol

But if any one is seriously thinking about doing a combat role or anything BAR /RAF/ Chances are you won't be there so don't expect a happy meal every night.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

dont expect a happy meal everynight haha lmao i enjoyed watching it but theres defenitely no combat in it really just once every 2 weeks at the camp theres like rockets going into the base thats about as much action as you see i think lol but i did myself enjoy watching it because i have never saw that side of the army with whats in that program so i do find it interesting :D
druadan

Post by druadan »

I didn't see it, but the missus said it was absolute shite.

Let's not forget that 42 Cdo Battlegroup along with various other combat formations of various nations are based at KAF. It's great when you get downtime, because there are the facilities (notice I'm on here most nights :wink: ) but the work is done outside of camp, where the fast-food restaurants are few and far between :roll:

Let's also remember that a vast amount of support staff are based at KAF - the Forces wouldn't run without them (I vaguely remember a crazy figure, something like 3 or 4 support staff are required to keep one infantryman battle-ready), but they're not front-line units; why shouldn't they make life as comfortable as possible whilst they're here?

Life on a FOB is much more miserable, living in Hesco shelters with minimal power and one TV for the whole company. Still get some good sunbathing done tho :wink:

Don't forget you don't fight constantly for six months. There are busy periods and quiet periods. You might go out on the ground for a day or a month. If you're unlucky you'll end up in a FOB for three or even six months. But you'll generally get back to somewhere like KAF or Bastion, and you will be grateful for the facilities when you do.
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

i will be watchin next weeks episode just to see what to expect on the camps and camp life just to get the other side rather than just the combat side so i can put them both togeather i mean yes once your out there your not going to be on camp much but just nice to know what to expect when you are there :D
just_me

Post by just_me »

druadan wrote:I didn't see it, but the missus said it was absolute shite.

Let's not forget that 42 Cdo Battlegroup along with various other combat formations of various nations are based at KAF. It's great when you get downtime, because there are the facilities (notice I'm on here most nights :wink: ) but the work is done outside of camp, where the fast-food restaurants are few and far between :roll:

Let's also remember that a vast amount of support staff are based at KAF - the Forces wouldn't run without them (I vaguely remember a crazy figure, something like 3 or 4 support staff are required to keep one infantryman battle-ready), but they're not front-line units; why shouldn't they make life as comfortable as possible whilst they're here?

Life on a FOB is much more miserable, living in Hesco shelters with minimal power and one TV for the whole company. Still get some good sunbathing done tho :wink:

Don't forget you don't fight constantly for six months. There are busy periods and quiet periods. You might go out on the ground for a day or a month. If you're unlucky you'll end up in a FOB for three or even six months. But you'll generally get back to somewhere like KAF or Bastion, and you will be grateful for the facilities when you do.
I take it you are over at KAF now? If so and you have a bit of time could you explain what it's REALLY like, Dutch discos aside!