Share This Page:

Hats, Crap-hats, walts.. What?!

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
MajorRageUK

Hats, Crap-hats, walts.. What?!

Post by MajorRageUK »

Hey guys,
really sorry if there's already a thread on this subject, I did do a quick search but didn't really come up with anything. I've seen these terms being put into play very often throughout these forums. I was wondering if it would be okay for someone to sort of provide a Legend key to all these words.

Maybe this thread could be used as somewhere to post all those terms not nessecarily understood by us mere civvies.

Thanks guys.

Ben.
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf***er in the whole valley." - Staff Sargeant from Jarhead.
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

Hats- Got there Maroon lid
Crap hats- Other regiments other then the para's
Walts - There just general idiots who usually pretend to be something there not .
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
JayBuckley

Post by JayBuckley »

So what do the other regiments call the paras?
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

JayBuckley wrote:So what do the other regiments call the paras?
Hahaha...this could be interesting. :lol: :o
adamb

Post by adamb »

Lol i don't see why there's a big thing about who is a better regiment, there all doing the same thing wich is fighting for there country. Is it all paras that think this then or just the odd few people that make them look bad ?
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Where did the term walter mitty come from?
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
TickTock22

Post by TickTock22 »

From a fictional short story written in the 40's called "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," where "Walter" pretends to be part of something he is not or has never been.

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

Thanks for all your answers guys. Tick Tock, an especially interesting wiki entry there, the sense made out of what I've read these past few months on this forum is rather amusing!
"As I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf***er in the whole valley." - Staff Sargeant from Jarhead.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

JayBuckley wrote:So what do the other regiments call the paras?
Who gives a f@#k!

I dont care what anyone wants to call the reg. But they better have some mates to back them up if they decide to voice their opinions.

AdamB, if you ever make it to Catterick to start Parachute regiment depot you will understand why we are better than alot of other regiments. Everyone is doing the same job, perhaps...but how they go about it and how well they do that job is of course a different matter.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
adamb

Post by adamb »

Im not going for para's mate im going for light role infantry
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

AdamB wrote:Im not going for para's mate im going for light role infantry
Fair enough. Good luck in training.

For me, it was always about joining "the best" and pushing myself to the limit. I would have been cheating myself if had joined another regiment.
MajorRageUK

Post by MajorRageUK »

Paratrooper01 wrote:
AdamB wrote:Im not going for para's mate im going for light role infantry
Fair enough. Good luck in training.

For me, it was always about joining "the best" and pushing myself to the limit. I would have been cheating myself if had joined another regiment.
Hi Paratrooper01, I think that's why I'm hoping to join too. (With the exception of you having already made it, of course)

Sorry to change the subject of this thread, but what's the average day like in the Battalion after training is completed and you've earned the wings. What happens then if not being deployed?

Also, are Paratrooper's or potential Paratrooper's taught anything about hand-to-hand combat? I've just watched a video about the FFL, and the narrator said the FFL, like all elite forces, are taught in hand-to-hand combat.

Thanks guys,

Ben.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

MajorRageUK wrote:Hi Paratrooper01, I think that's why I'm hoping to join too. (With the exception of you having already made it, of course)

Sorry to change the subject of this thread, but what's the average day like in the Battalion after training is completed and you've earned the wings. What happens then if not being deployed?

Also, are Paratrooper's or potential Paratrooper's taught anything about hand-to-hand combat? I've just watched a video about the FFL, and the narrator said the FFL, like all elite forces, are taught in hand-to-hand combat.

Thanks guys,

Ben.
Your average day in battalion will usually be relaxed but disciplined. You will do PT with your platoon and on Friday mornings there is usually a Tab with your Company (company = 3 platoons). There will be jobs to do in the stores with the Quartermaster, there might be weapons training, vehicle training, medical training or anything else that your platoon or company has organised for you. There will be exercises in the pipeline, possibly even abroad. You may also be loaded onto a course of some sort, perhaps Sniper course (if you are in the Sniper platoon) or a promotion course if you are deemed suitable. There are usually alot of guys who go out on the town on thursday nights, so thats usually something to look forward to. Oh and some guard duties are always good fun...especially if its snowing.

In training i was taught some basic self defense techniques, but it was an extra curricular thing and not on the training programme. It was interesting though, and a bit painful! As my platoon Sergeant said "young Joe needs to know how to defend himself on the battlefield and in the pub on a friday night!" Legend. :lol:
Colt

Post by Colt »

Just another quick question Paratrooper01..... what was it like when you first went to battalion. Did it take a while to fit in with the other blokes? I know you must kind of have to prove yourself at first, and I know all new blokes get sh@t and stuff, but was it easy to adjust? Did and of your training platoon go to the same battalion with you?