Share This Page:

INJURIES!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
gudwin1988

INJURIES!

Post by gudwin1988 »

Hiya

I have just finished a 3 mile run, I do this run everyday and always find it easy, but for some reason toward the end of my run today I started to get an aching pain in my left shin, nothing major just abit uncomfortable.

I have stretched my legs out and cooled down properly but there is still a little pain.

I start my basic training next week and i'm worried if I do anything else the pain is going to get worse.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be or what i could do prevent it from gettin any worse

Thanks
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

I would definatly not run everyday mate. This can lead to overuse injuries. Take a few days off running then go back to it and do your 3mile run everyother day or something like mon-wed-fri.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Gudwin,

As mentioned by dave, it really does sound like an overuse injury, what of course we cant say. Even if it isnt, and its simply a pain that may go away, the advice about NOT running everyday STILL stands. Rest days, especially those that rest 'impact' on your body (such as running), are very important. You need to rest for a number of reasons, one of which is so your body can recover, giving it the optimum ability to make use of the actual physcial training you have done.

It sounds like a couple of days off running in this case would be a good idea. Maybe take a full day off, from any excerise and then the next couple, do something other than running. You can still do cardiovascular phys, such as cycling or your best option would be swimming. Swimming is low impact and is also very good for you. This will also take the pressure of impact off your shins.

Personally i would also mention this to your PTI/Training team when you start basic, if it starts to cause you pain again. DONT make an assesment yourself, thinking that you should just 'carry on' through it. Your body lets you know things through pain, so let the experts decide, wherever it is your going ??? they will have the people there to check it out. Aching muscles and tired bodies are one thing,you can get past that, but actual injuries should not be ignored.
If you leave it, it may get much worse and then be a bigger problem than it may have been had you tackled it earliar.

Best of luck when you start,

dwarfy
gudwin1988

Post by gudwin1988 »

Thanks for that guys :)
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

i run everyday and have been for ages! :-?
adamb

Post by adamb »

Gudwin why not lay off all cardio until phase 1? When i was going through the marine process the wo that interviewed me said dont do any training 1 week prior to RT just stock up on loads of carbs, protein, water & get yourself prepared for RT, i guess same could be said for phase 1? just a thought :D & good luck btw i'll let you know if i pass selection.
jdunc2301

Post by jdunc2301 »

im quite a bulky guy, 6ft something and 15 stone and ive been running everyday, then i started gettting the same pain in my lower leg.

4 days later and lots of deep heat and il be back soon.....
TickTock22

Post by TickTock22 »

Big lad at 6ft and 15 stone your no gazelle, running everyday and you are really raising your chances of getting shin splints. Same for anyone who runs everyday (distance and intesnity depending ofcourse).
Run everyday pior to ADSC or phase one and all you are going to do, is be exercising when your muscles need the time to be repairing themselves. Inbetween run days rest or get some kind of other aerobic work done i.e Swimming or cycling to give your body some chance of recovery and improving!

A simple running plan, if you don't want to run only every other day but still allow for recovery (not including your upper body/ gym work that you can slot in) could be
Sunday-1.5 mile
Monday- Decent farlex session (i.e sprint 200m, jog 200m then sprint 200m and so on)
Tuesday-Rest
Wednesday-Stead run for 40 mins (this should be a comfortable pace in which you can just keep going)
Thrusday- Rest
Friday-1.5 best effort.
Saturday Rest.

You could also throw in some interval training in i.e run best effort for 2mins then rest 1min and so on.
jdunc2301

Post by jdunc2301 »

hey yeah i changed my training regime fairly abruptly so on to a more sensible plan like you said :D

Errrrmm il have you know i glide along like bamby lol

:D