Share This Page:

Infantry - Royal Anglian; The Poachers

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Was u guys aloud to take your mobile phones with you to ring your familys at the end of ADSC? or was you told not to? I read somewhere that it says mobile phones are strictly prohibited & there are bt payphones available or something?
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Bump, i'd like to know this also.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
mozza

Post by mozza »

well while you're there they don't let you have you're mobs but after the day's up you get some free time in naffie, how ever you wana say it, to use you're mobile. mate if you can't survive a day without you're mobile how do expect to go through training??
adamb

Post by adamb »

No its not that personally i hate the things i was just wondering if i was aloud to take it so when ADSC is up i can ring up my family & let them know if iv'e passed or not :D
jdunc2301

Post by jdunc2301 »

Hey adam, thought id join!!
Im going 6th and 7th with you guys
Jstagg.....snap with the long term girlfriend issue :roll:

The train from birmingham to lichfiled is at 10ish to get there for 10.30, where are you coming from mate?

Il PM you when i figure this site out or drop me a PM
HarryH

Post by HarryH »

Phones are allowed but there will be a pay phone at the adsc ( if any ever work )
Take one so you can ring your family once you get your results at the end of selection.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Thanks HarryH,

Hi again Jdunc lol.

You got a long term-relationship on the go aswell? & you have to jstagg?
I do aswell, nearly 2 years now. How does your girlfriend(s) feel about you going?
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

You'll be fine Adam you want to join the army so if shes the one im sure she'll accept it in her own way :) Just get her to write to you and stuff on training keep in touch etc... i'm sure your not the only one in the same situation.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Yeah shes fine about it we been talking and she's thinking about joining up (HR & Finance). Shes going for the induction next wednesday :D
TickTock22

Post by TickTock22 »

I had been with my girlfriend for two years pior to joining, and yes the training does put strain on. Though having someone at home to talk to and support you really does play a big part in the mental game.

Always remember that once you go to bed in the evening thats another day done and another step closer to the end.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Hey to the 2 fellas heading to lichfiled inc adamb because we'r allready aquainted.

Yeah long term girl from YR 9 at school so thats like a LONG time. haha

Shes worried ill become dedicated to the core and that i'll never be home ect, but im trying to make her learn that i will be home, and as i might be dedicated to the core i sertainly wont love it with the same respects as i love her.

She also said, what if you keep having to dissapear on me, so i told her that if the army says jump i say how high, if i question it i can loose a dream, she seems to be getting more comfortable with the idea, she also knows after i said to her that it will set us both up for a great future ect.

But in a nut shell, im doing it for my self that little bit more than i am her, and i''ve told her there will be days i wont be able to come back ect but i plan on keeping a diary kind of thing (because she likes reading) so she can read what im doing day to day and basicly to show her its not only gonna' be her missing me, its me missing her and that im about to embark on a trip where im headed on my own and its just realy gonna' be hard for both of us.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
HarryH

Post by HarryH »

Just remember that although the first 6 months of your army life will be away from home a lot if you plan on marrying her you both will be posted to your regiment together and a start of a very good life for the both of you,
Grimsby, London not the best places to raise a family, just look at it that way :P
Me personally yes i have a long term relationship of 8 years now, and 4 young children so my decision to join the army was not only about me life it was about me and my whole family,
I come from a military family so i know how much my whole family will be looked after not just me which again was a big part of my decision.
I cant or do not want to raise my 4 kids in London forever.
If your wandering how old i am I'm 25, young for a family so big yes but I'm proud of what I've achieved so far in my life, nows the next step.
22-25 years of service i can come out proud with a nice pension (better than any state one) and retire at 50 if thats what suits me.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Yeah im pretty much in the same boat as you guys, besides the kids of course. Josh your right mate it will certainly set both ourselves & our partners for the future, thats a good idea about the diary thing it will let her know what your doing, what your thinking of and stuff like that i may have to copy you lol :D Did any of you get told if you do 22 years you get a cash lump sum and a hefty pension? I heard it was 50k lump sump and 750ppm pention?
jdunc2301

Post by jdunc2301 »

heya guys, i think the pension is dependant on what was earned etc.

My girlfriend of 2 years is eerrrm not so understanding, she just opened up her own business so understands that if its something you have always wanted then nothing will stop you.

I explained that during the first 6 months there won't be much physical contact only by letter or email/phone and text's which she finds hard, but i also said that if i were to stay and carry on a 9-5 job i would go mad and resent (spelt wrong i know) her for it.

Once she realised what i was saying the next thing that came out of her mouth was "but you might die"
Needless to say i laughed and explained that the dickhead that i have as an apprentice will kill me one day when im welding in a ceiling void.

She then agreed that i was right but she's still upset.
So not sure if I WON or not :D

jstagg where you travelling from mate?
what does your parents etc think of it all?

Mum- Please dont die.......lol
Dad- I suppose you'll enjoy it
Grand parents- Happy campers
Brother- Wants a bullet bringing back, and a picture of me on a tank.
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

I like the other chap come from a Regimental family, i can name 5 people in 5 reg's haha.

Yeah the dieing thing is a issue but if you do the maths and i mean sit down and research, you're more likley to be ither knifed or have a crash on the way to training it seems.

My GF is understanding and i think by what you said about resenting her for not leting you achive a dream is right, because befor i had to say that my girlfriend said that if its a dream do it, im sure your GF's bisuness is a dream and you've let her start it at a time where to be honest work will be slim on the floor..

Most of my fmaily don't know, and won't know untill i recive the letter threw after ADSC but my lord they will be pleased, in part im doing it for me/the GF but mostly me, i think it's the hole respect, honour and comeradery of it all over the war side of things.

I've also said im not working my ass off at a dead end job for 5 years to achive a pay grade that i will no doubt be earning with in 3 years maby sooner in the army, civilian life has it's perks.. SHORT TERM.

Military life is a life non the less and perks are fiew and inbetween but they last for ever.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.