Share This Page:

Being able 2 drive in the paras

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
milleredgeside

Post by milleredgeside »

Not bad mate
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

milleredgeside wrote:
dwarfy wrote:milleredgeside,

I'd drop the attitude if i were you or you certainly wont get any answers to your questions. Sterion was actually giving you some sound advice about conduct on here regarding text and slang speak. This site is for people who wish to join the military and there are many on here that are currently serving, therefore there is a standard that is expected, as there will be for anything you may end up doing in the forces.

Take the time to write out your posts and check them, it does not take long and it will be worth it as this site can provide you with a wealth of information that can help you alot. So if you take the time to do that, there will be people who take the time to answer you.

P.S im not a mod, just giving you a heads up and helping you.

dwarfy
Right thanks alot pal, sorry for being childish and not thinking
No worries mate, good luck with it all. As for the driving, i can be of no help, i have failed my test twice now. The second time was for a rediculous reason and i was not happy at all as i only got 3 minors but then a 'Serious' fault which makes it a fail. It was not dangerous or bad drving at all, just a technicality and my instructor said most examinors would have given me the benefit of the doubt for that reason and the fact that im a capable driver. That just made me even more annoyed.

dwarfy
milleredgeside

Post by milleredgeside »

dwarfy wrote:
milleredgeside wrote:
dwarfy wrote:milleredgeside,

I'd drop the attitude if i were you or you certainly wont get any answers to your questions. Sterion was actually giving you some sound advice about conduct on here regarding text and slang speak. This site is for people who wish to join the military and there are many on here that are currently serving, therefore there is a standard that is expected, as there will be for anything you may end up doing in the forces.

Take the time to write out your posts and check them, it does not take long and it will be worth it as this site can provide you with a wealth of information that can help you alot. So if you take the time to do that, there will be people who take the time to answer you.

P.S im not a mod, just giving you a heads up and helping you.

dwarfy
Right thanks alot pal, sorry for being childish and not thinking
No worries mate, good luck with it all. As for the driving, i can be of no help, i have failed my test twice now. The second time was for a rediculous reason and i was not happy at all as i only got 3 minors but then a 'Serious' fault which makes it a fail. It was not dangerous or bad drving at all, just a technicality and my instructor said most examinors would have given me the benefit of the doubt for that reason and the fact that im a capable driver. That just made me even more annoyed.

dwarfy
Ive done my lessons and that but havnt done my theory or nothing yet, just heard its alot easier in the army to pass the test so was just wondering if they actully do it in the paras because my first choice was scots guards but now im trying for the paras and i dont know that much about everything in the parachute regiment life style like so just wanted to know, but your a big help cheers
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I wouldn't worry too much i work in an environment where there is just constant banter everyone has their own way of dealing it, sorry it wasn't appreciated on this account.
milleredgeside

Post by milleredgeside »

sterion66 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much i work in an environment where there is just constant banter everyone has their own way of dealing it, sorry it wasn't appreciated on this account.
No its right, thought you was just havnt ago at me for my spelling and that trying to make out im dumb and just didnt like it thats all
JayBuckley

Post by JayBuckley »

sterion66 wrote:Starting on the 16th november for phase 1 training.
Snap, but for paras! 8) Bring on the 16th! I am off to Spain tomorrow to top up my tan before getting down to Catterick haha!
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

The paras taught me to drive.

But you only learn how to drive if you make it to your Battalion in colchester.

I now have my Cat C license aswell for driving heavy good vehicles. So it is possible to get all your licenses, including Motorbike if you want to.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
shawlee

Post by shawlee »

JayBuckley wrote: Snap, but for paras! 8) Bring on the 16th! I am off to Spain tomorrow to top up my tan before getting down to Catterick haha!
till you go and freeze your nuts off at catterick lol
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

My how this post has improved 8)
Good to see I did'nt have to say anything in BIG RED LETTERS :D
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I beat you to it Wholley. I didn't want you getting carried away or addicted to the big red letters. Good to hear about the motorbike issue though. I was planning to pass my test once i got to battalion. I do have a few issues though which while it's associated to this thread i might hijack it temporarily.

Is anyone aware whether motorcycle tests are something that are done throughout the british army as i'm joining 2 R Anglian. The other question is, should this be the case, are these tests also available in Germany?

Thanks
Mike
JayBuckley

Post by JayBuckley »

shawlee wrote:
JayBuckley wrote: Snap, but for paras! 8) Bring on the 16th! I am off to Spain tomorrow to top up my tan before getting down to Catterick haha!
till you go and freeze your nuts off at catterick lol
Hahaa yeah tell me about it dude! Oh well will be all worth it when i get the maroon beret 8) . Off to airport in a min so will speak soon guys.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Have fun Jay see you at Catterick, all be it when your shouting you hat in my direction.
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

dwarfy,

Once you've passed mate, you'll wonder what the fuss was about. Seriously, the driving test itself isn't that hard, nerves is the biggest problem I guess. I passed first time with four minors, and it took me one lesson short of five blocks. I took ages to pick it up and to build up my confidence; I think there is a tendancy (not saying you are guilty of this) for people to try and pass their test as quickly as possible, and as a result, they fail first time. Your second test sounds a bit unlucky though, which is a pain becuase a re-take is so expensive!

Once you've passed (which you will!) you realise why there are some utter idiots on the road.

The real learning starts once your on your own and driving without the safety of L plates!

Good luck with the re-take, sounds like you have it mastered. I hope I haven't come across as big headed in my post, no offence intended, just relating my experiance- of course, everyone is different.

David.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

David,

Doesnt sound big headed at all mate, i know people who have passed first time and their crap.... :lol:

But in all seriosness its just getting me so annoyed, im 26, carefull when driving and i do respect the road. Im not 17 and raring to rip it up once ive sat in a car for 40 minutes. I want to pass so that getting back and forth to my RMR unit with my kit isnt a Friday afternoon adventure on the train and two busses, with a mini yomp to start it off before im even the field. :evil:

It seems to me though that there is just a 'fail them if you possibly can mentality' amonsgt the examinors now and apparently it is alot harder now to pass than it was even 5 years ago and its getting harder. I fully accept and agree with making roads safer i just dont think its done by making the tests technically unrealstic, its how 'idiots' drive AFTER they have passed that is the problem.

I can now, and will continue to drive safely as im not one of those 'idiots', and its just VERY frustrating.

dwarfy
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think legislation needs to be changed after people pass the the driving test. I mean, look at Luke McCormick, he's going to out after 3 and a half years, what sort of an example is that? I know plenty of people who will happily drive home after 3 pints or more, or who have got totally trashed the night before at a party, and I mean practically paralytic, and then drive the next day. The alcohol still in their blood will still be over the legal limit.

But it doesn't matter what age you are when you pass, you'll make mistakes- but maturity helps with cutting the chances of it being fatal! The bit about tests being unrealistic is true, I have yet to do a parallel park! I think the test should be expanded to include driving around a city centre, for people like me, who learnt to drive in a large town instead. Driving around Plymouth would be a totally different experiance.

How long have you been learning for mate? It must be a pain in the backside with the RMR on the go too, how far away to you live from your base?

David