Share This Page:

black masking tape

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
jackrod

black masking tape

Post by jackrod »

hi guys i am goin to catterick on the 19th as i said in my other topic an on my equipment list i hav to take with me it has listed (black masking/electrical tape) i was wonderin if one of the more educated members could enlighten me as to what this tape is used for as i cant find out anywhere any reply would be greatly appreciatted
SWYD
adamb

Post by adamb »

I read somewhere about using tape on blisters or to prevent blisters. I not sure if this is entirely true but i think i read it on another forum & i think it was zinc oxide tape not black tape.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Its zinc oxide tape for your feet, to simply add a bit of extra 'skin' to stop blisters. It works for some people, not for others, blisters are something you might just get regardless im afraid. As for the black masking tape or 'maskers' it will be for squaring away any loose straps on your bergen or webbing, so it doesnt look gash or get in the way.

dwarfy
jackrod

Post by jackrod »

ok thanks a lot for your help guys i havnt actually bought any zinc oxide tape yet i take that you recomend gettin some.
SWYD
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Yeah you may aswell mate, you'll be able to get it down there from the NAAFI or wherever but you might not have that much time on your hands so get some before you go. Have you been issued boots yet? If so go out in them a) to wear them in and b) you can establish where your likely to get blisters by doing so. You will get 'hot spots' which is where the skin is rubbing and will at some point form into a blister. Take note of where these hotspots are on your feet and this is where you will need to apply some tape to hopefully stop them from forming when your out in the field. I personally buy that compede blister stuff, its fairly expensive but for me it completely stops two nasty blisters i used to get without fail on the backs of my ankles, and its worth it for that as they can be a real bugger.
jackrod

Post by jackrod »

i hav already got my self some compeed as a freind told me that was good stuff is it as good as the zinc oxide or would you say get both. and no i havnt bin issued boots yet i still hav that to look forward to. thanks for all your help mate.
SWYD
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

jackrod wrote:i hav already got my self some compeed as a freind told me that was good stuff is it as good as the zinc oxide or would you say get both. and no i havnt bin issued boots yet i still hav that to look forward to. thanks for all your help mate.
IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE ENGLISH?
jackrod

Post by jackrod »

sorry if its a little hard to read. It's meant to say i already hav compeed blister plasters but i am unsure still as weather to buy zinc oxide tape to use along side the compeed.

Also i was answering the question ( do i have my boots issued to me yet) which i replied no i do not hav my boots yet this is somethin to look forward to
SWYD
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Black cloth tape/Black and nasty is used as dwafty said, to stop straps flapping about as it looks unprofessional. There are plenty of straps on your belt kit, bergan and helmet so get a big roll from your local DIY store. Just ask for "black cloth tape". DONT GET ELECTRICAL TAPE; ITS SHITE! :o

You will get issued your boots in your first week in catterick, so you dont have any time prior to getting there to break them in unfortunately. Your instructors will let you know how to break them in...plenty of polish, and you will be wearing them all day every day anyway, so they will break in quite quickly.

Zinc oxide tape is what you use to put on your feet and toes to cover up any "hot spots" you get from your boots rubbing. When it comes to blisters, PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. So if you are getting lots of rubbing, tape up every day to prevent those blisters. I taped up my feet before every TAB, so its just part of the job.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

There is a place called the pri at catterick but it is run by a rip off merchant having a laugh selling comms cord for £5.95 !!
Unfortunately in weeks 1-6 you will have to buy most stuff from there.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

mm1306 wrote:There is a place called the pri at catterick but it is run by a rip off merchant having a laugh selling comms cord for £5.95 !!
Unfortunately in weeks 1-6 you will have to buy most stuff from there.
Thats disgusting. There are big f@#k off rolls of para cord in different thickness that the army buys for people to use. There are loads floating around at my workplace, and when i was in afghan there was loads of big rolls of para cord. Would it be too much to get a couple of rolls of para cord for recruits to cut up and use for comms cord and a few rolls of black and nasty??
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!