Share this page:

The F Word!

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
CardSharpe
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 5:08 pm
Location: uk

The F Word!

#1 Post by CardSharpe » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 1:33 pm

Not the one you say to the walts that ends in "uck", usually to be followed by the word "off" :) No no, I mean fear!

I dont know what it is with me, but before I do anything new, as in anything I havent done before, I always get fairly nervous in the time leading up to it.

Once I'm there doing it, I'm fine, no problems at all, its just in the months/weeks/days/hours leading up to it. In the minutes the mood seems to set in and from then on its just concentration.

I'm 23, and its been almost exactly the same for me whether I'm doing exams, skydives or a driving test - it doesnt affect what I've done as I can enjoy the moment - its just the lead up to it :)

Now I would imagine most people are the same or similar here, you get the nerves (some worse than others perhaps) but you just chill out as best you can and get through it, no dramas and all that :)

What I mainly wanted to concentrate on is the nerves you get/got before you first went to basic training, be it Catterick, Lympstone or wheverever it was, how bad was it for you, and how did you cope with it? :)

For me, I'm not at that point yet, I know its coming soonish, but its not a definite date yet beyond "the next few months", but I'm interested to see how everyone else found it!

Advertise your company or services here and contact us today!

Ria

#2 Post by Ria » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 2:47 pm

I can't speak for "joining-up nerves", as you know, but nerves are perfectly normal, & I think they are a good thing, as they can make you more focused.
( Providing of course they don't make you fcuk up when the time comes, which obviously isn't the case with you.)

I always think you don't get a real sense of achievement after you've done something scary unless you've REALLY felt the nerves first.

Use your nerves positively. Let that excitement motivate you.
I'm sure if you're really well prepared for whatever you are going to do that's making you nervous, you can learn to almost enjoy the nerves!
I love feeling scared, in a bizzare kind of way!
I think some people just worry more than others.
It's just the way we are!

Illustrious

#3 Post by Illustrious » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 3:26 pm

Well considering I plod on down to lympstone next week, Im sure I can help.

I feel nothing. Im not letting the nerves latch on to me as being worried wastes energy. :lol:

If I must be honest, I have concerns that my fitness isnt going to be what I had hoped due to an accident I had (no I didnt wet the bed) so I took some time off to rest that. Ive tried to cram some training in as best I could but we'll have to see how that pans out. I was told it is better to turn up slightly unfit than slighty broken.

Ria

#4 Post by Ria » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 3:54 pm

Illustrious wrote:Well considering I plod on down to lympstone next week, Im sure I can help.

I feel nothing. Im not letting the nerves latch on to me as being worried wastes energy. :lol:

.
What a cool dude....... 8) 8) 8)

Good luck with Lympstone. :P

dwarfy
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: somerset

#5 Post by dwarfy » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 6:54 pm

Cardsharpe,

Nerves are something everyone gets to varying degree's and as you say, once your in the thick of it(whatever it is your doing) you deal with it ok, that is the main thing.

When you have time to think about it, in the days/months beforehand you will worry as you have no control over what it is you are worrying about, once you are there doing it you just dont have the time to be nervous, and that is especially true of joining CTC or any other training establishment/environment.

I can remember the words of the CO at RMR Bristol on our very first field ex:
'I am sure many of you, if not all of you are at this time a little nervous or anxious as to what to expect in the months to come, this is normal, and do not worry about it. The reason you feel like this is because joining the Corps and aspiring to earn the Green Beret means something to you.'

I thought that was very true.

Dwarfy,

P.S have a look at this http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/royalmar ... ar-800.jpg
Last edited by dwarfy on Mon 22 Sep, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hyperlithe
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1811
Joined: Fri 21 May, 2004 1:53 pm
Location: It's a secret...

#6 Post by Hyperlithe » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 7:39 pm

It doesn't go away either!
I'm a SNCO, and I'm still scared of cocking up and looking like an idiot!
Mostly it's because I'm a total perfectionist and I set myself impossibly high standards for everything, and I really should just chill - but that's who i am, and I wouldn't be as good at my job if I didn't push myself so hard.

So, just keep doing what you're doing, feel the fear, but don't let it rule your life. I've managed to get through my training by concentrating only on the day at hand. Looking ahead to next year, next month etc. was just too daunting.

How do you eat an elephant?


One bite at a time!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
***********************************
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours

Ria

Re: The F Word!

#7 Post by Ria » Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:34 am

CardSharpe wrote:Not the one you say to the walts that ends in "uck", usually to be followed by the word "off" :) No no, I mean fear!

I dont know what it is with me, but before I do anything new, as in anything I havent done before, I always get fairly nervous in the time leading up to it.

Once I'm there doing it, I'm fine, no problems at all, its just in the months/weeks/days/hours leading up to it. In the minutes the mood seems to set in and from then on its just concentration.

I'm 23, and its been almost exactly the same for me whether I'm doing exams, skydives or a driving test - it doesnt affect what I've done as I can enjoy the moment - its just the lead up to it :)

Now I would imagine most people are the same or similar here, you get the nerves (some worse than others perhaps) but you just chill out as best you can and get through it, no dramas and all that :)

What I mainly wanted to concentrate on is the nerves you get/got before you first went to basic training, be it Catterick, Lympstone or wheverever it was, how bad was it for you, and how did you cope with it? :)

For me, I'm not at that point yet, I know its coming soonish, but its not a definite date yet beyond "the next few months", but I'm interested to see how everyone else found it!

Maybe he's just a big fairy...... :-? :x :wink:
BOO!
See, I made him jump.....! :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
CardSharpe
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 5:08 pm
Location: uk

Re: The F Word!

#8 Post by CardSharpe » Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:16 am

Ria wrote:Maybe he's just a big fairy...... :-? :x :wink:
BOO!
See, I made him jump.....! :lol: :lol: :lol:
haha :D

Cheers everyone for the replies, makes sense with the "one day at a time" bit.

I've heard a bit about people saying "you're too busy to be nervous", and that makes sense too, I guess its best to just keep my head down and go for it rather than mulling over too far into the future :)

Ria

Re: The F Word!

#9 Post by Ria » Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:21 pm

CardSharpe wrote: For me, I'm not at that point yet, I know its coming soonish, but its not a definite date yet beyond "the next few months", but I'm interested to see how everyone else found it!

Have you decided what you're going for yet?
You mentioned maybe Infantry at the Paras 10?
How is your 1.5 mile time doing?
:D

User avatar
CardSharpe
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 5:08 pm
Location: uk

#10 Post by CardSharpe » Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm

I spoke to a few people at the recruitment office in middlesbrough while I was staying up there, learnt a few new things about the different infantry roles.

I'm hoping to get an interview with a couple of the recruiters for local regiments (east anglia) to see what they say - I still want to put the parachute regiment as my first choice, but I think I'll go for a local light infantry regiment as my second choice.

No progress on the 1.5 mile time so far, 10 minutes flat is still my best time by a fair way, I do have a month or two before I expect to do RSC though so I have a little time yet :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests