Share This Page:

Soldier refused accomodation at hotel

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Think Scargill may have been a little before our time... :wink:

But i would like a hug, and maybe even some kove. :lol:

dwarfs
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

It's like this, I was just trying to make a comparison, I could have picked anyone really but the infamous Burka clad woman description popped in my head as a standard bearer for political correctness.
Artist

Post by Artist »

GGHT wrote:It's like this, I was just trying to make a comparison, I could have picked anyone really but the infamous Burka clad woman description popped in my head as a standard bearer for political correctness.
Yere right!

Racism is not welcome on this site people.

Artist
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

From what I've read about the incident it seems to have been taken in the wrong context.

The reason they refused to book this guy a room wasn't for political reasons ie; the hotel doesn't agree with Iraq/Afghanistan, it was because they'd previously had problems with soldiers staying and then trashing the place.

Was it wrong that they wouldn't let him stay purely because they spotted he was a soldier? Yes it was, however, you can't go blaming Political Correctness, the Government or anyone else over this.

Previous bad behaviour from squaddies was the reason behind the ban, that's it nothing more sinister to it.

Ok that's all from me, you can now go back to the ever so justified racist/sexist accusations and the zanulabour/Browns worse than Mugabe, aren't we all hard done by and the country's a rotting cesspit etc... that's just so interesting to read :roll:
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Alfa wrote:From what I've read about the incident it seems to have been taken in the wrong context.

The reason they refused to book this guy a room wasn't for political reasons ie; the hotel doesn't agree with Iraq/Afghanistan, it was because they'd previously had problems with soldiers staying and then trashing the place.

Was it wrong that they wouldn't let him stay purely because they spotted he was a soldier? Yes it was, however, you can't go blaming Political Correctness, the Government or anyone else over this.

Previous bad behaviour from squaddies was the reason behind the ban, that's it nothing more sinister to it.

Ok that's all from me, you can now go back to the ever so justified racist/sexist accusations and the zanulabour/Browns worse than Mugabe, aren't we all hard done by and the country's a rotting cesspit etc... that's just so interesting to read :roll:
Get off the mods nuts mate.
Patrick

Everyone has their opinion

Post by Patrick »

Jabs and GGHT were making points about the way this country is going, not so much about religious beliefs.

The case was, why should you impose a blanket ban on an entire group of people if you're only targeting a trouble making few?

Not all military personnel trash hotels, but sometimes the military seem to be taking the flak for the few that do.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Opened a can of worms there Alpha.
Saw it coming which is why I kept quiet.
My only gripe would be the Serviceman involved was alone not in a herd.
If a platoon of squaddies had descended on the hotel I could understand the reticence.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Wholley wrote:Opened a can of worms there Alpha.
Saw it coming which is why I kept quiet.
My only gripe would be the Serviceman involved was alone not in a herd.
If a platoon of squaddies had descended on the hotel I could understand the reticence.
Bang on Whooley.

Who in their right mind wants a mob of service blokes just back from "Pastures Green or Brown?" and wanting to have a laff staying in their hotel then?

Once had the Devil of a time trying to get accom when an Oppo got married in Liverpool. In the end one switched on kiddy contacted RMR Liverpool and asked if we could stay at their location (Birkenhead).

We got a free pit for four nights (Friday till Monday), the RMR bods met a bunch of regular RM Eeijuts, the RMR Bar made a vast profit and any hassle was sorted out ASAP by us and the RMR lads toot sweet! The Stag night was a brammer! Scousers from all over the country attended as the Grooms Pop was the Landlord of a well known Public House/Nightclub back then in the early seventies.........Happy Dazed! :D

Artist
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

GGHT wrote:Get off the mods nuts mate.
Well first off, I wasn't sucking up to the mods as I don't think you're comments were either racist or sexist hence :
Alfa wrote: you can now get back to the ever so justified racist/sexist accusations

That was sarcasm :wink:

Secondly I didn't think Flighty had any nuts to get on in the first place :roll:

Just because I voiced some disagreement with some of the opinions you've made doesn't mean I'm trying to suck up to the mods, I have my own mind and will state my opinion whenever I feel the need after all this is a public forum.
Yep, but I was in the mood to do it 8)

:P
Artist

Post by Artist »

Alfa wrote:
GGHT wrote:Get off the mods nuts mate.
Well first off, I wasn't sucking up to the mods as I don't think you're comments were either racist or sexist hence :
Alfa wrote: you can now get back to the ever so justified racist/sexist accusations

That was sarcasm :wink:

Secondly I didn't think Flighty had any nuts to get on in the first place :roll:

Just because I voiced some disagreement with some of the opinions you've made doesn't mean I'm trying to suck up to the mods, I have my own mind and will state my opinion whenever I feel the need after all this is a public forum.
Yep, but I was in the mood to do it 8)

:P
True, Flighty has no nuts, but she has balls! I live with her, I know! She is as straight as a die people. However I am also a Mod on this site. And as I have said before I will not tolerate racism in any way shape of form. This is a site for people to glean info ref the forces, not to shout off about their views on politics, religion creeds or colour or whatever floats their boat.

As a kid I was so green I really thought a racist was some bod who ran races. Ain't a kid now. I worked with various colours and creeds whilst in and also worked with the same people when I left the mob doing the same job but for much more dosh.

A large paintbrush to daub someone with is not nice concerning their colour, creed or way of life. I have mates who are openly gay. To me they are mates not Poofs, Shirtlifters, Whoofters, etc, etc, they know which side my bread is buttered and we get along fine (even though I know Pete the Poof really fancies me, as an "Owd bit off ruff stuff" just waiting for the chance to come around to his way of thinking! :D).

In these days anyone can join the forces whatever their bent, colour or creed. Accept it people and please bin the rasict and other jibes, OK?

Artist
Artist

Post by Artist »

Now!

Having just quoted various people. Can I ask people to stop quoting people as it hacks me off and also takes up a lot of space.

Retreats to corner, hides head in arms and awaits the abuse.

Please don't quote me on this mind! :D

Artist
flighty

Post by flighty »

dwarfy wrote:Think Scargill may have been a little before our time... :wink:

But i would like a hug, and maybe even some kove. :lol:

dwarfs
Didn't have my specs on, Dwarfy, but just get in the queue for some 'kove.' :D

Jayne
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

This thread is a load of bollocks.

It was nothing about racism or Muslimaophobia - but about a serving serviceman being refused a room in a hotel because he was a serviceman!!

Calm down you lot - especially Jayne and Steve, who I love dearly. Also GHMT and the other guy, who I can't be bothered to look up!!

Don't look for things that aren't there!

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.