Share This Page:

good olde army, always giving your much needed info asap! :P

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
drummerja

good olde army, always giving your much needed info asap! :P

Post by drummerja »

a lil sarcastic, though true. ive not had anything from the para insight course thing. how long does it normally take to get anything from them. my course is the end of august, but it would be nice to know everything i need to take etc prior to the date. o well, but i hope it come sooner rather than later. im not paying to go to dorchester via the train lol!!
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

drummerja

Welcome aboard, but please cut out the text speak it's not required here.....
Last edited by mfat_man on Wed 06 Aug, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CardSharpe

Re: good olde army, always giving your much needed info asap

Post by CardSharpe »

drummerja wrote:a lil sarcastic, though true. ive not had anything from the para insight course thing. how long does it normally take to get anything from them. my course is the end of august, but it would be nice to know everything i need to take etc prior to the date. o well, but i hope it come sooner rather than later. im not paying to go to dorchester via the train lol!!
Isnt it in Colchester? :) I have been on two courses, and received the initial information & permission slip within around three weeks of the course. If you have any worries just phone the up and ask.

As for the things you need to take, there isnt much out of the ordinary, there is a list on here somewhere I believe - things like a wash/shave kit for two days etc.

Best of luck on the course and all that!
drummerja

Post by drummerja »

cardsharpe, cheers for that. i thought it was colchester, but i wasnt to sure due to the fact that im sure i misunderstood what the guy on the phone was saying at the time, i just agreed and told him the required information :) still, that is one gain for me, knowing WHERE it is being held. by the way, why have you been on 2 courses? im planning on judging my fitness based on everyone else there, and then from than, deciding for my self, NOT some guy in a suit with a pen and paper, if i am personally fit enough to sign up. besides, i know i wouldnt have much of a home to come home to if i signed up and hadnt had the discussion with whor fatha and mutha!
CardSharpe

Re: ..

Post by CardSharpe »

drummerja wrote:by the way, why have you been on 2 courses?
I went on a course 6 months or so ago, at which point I was very unfit and just went to see what I needed to be doing. I booked the second course 8 weeks in advance after a decent period of training, hoping that I would beable to lower my 1.5 mile time within those 8 weeks, and because I was starting to struggle with my training a bit - motivation mainly.

By the time the second course came along I was still finding the running difficult, and after being put off of my running due to a leg injury just before I went, I really did struggle with it. Still, manage to take over a minute off of my old time(and got all of the upper body stuff to an acceptable level), which I was kinda happy about, although overall a bit annoyed that it still wasnt fast enough.

A guy on the course I had been on had been there three times :) he did pretty well though I think.
DJSOLUTION

Re: good olde army, always giving your much needed info asap

Post by DJSOLUTION »

drummerja wrote:a lil sarcastic, though true. ive not had anything from the para insight course thing. how long does it normally take to get anything from them. my course is the end of august, but it would be nice to know everything i need to take etc prior to the date. o well, but i hope it come sooner rather than later. im not paying to go to dorchester via the train lol!!

So have you got your details and information through yet?
Application sent - 16/07/2008
BARB Test - 04/08/2008 PASSED
Insight course - 05/09/2008 PASSED
drummerja

aye

Post by drummerja »

just come back from the lakes after a 4 night yop over 50miles. it was nice, bivvy bagging it every night was super uncomfortable! but it was great fun over the langdales. anyways, yeah ive got my infomation now, and im awaiting my rail warrant now! thanks for the information. i dont think i will be able to make the time for running. maybe 9:40 when running with everyone else, but i thought it was 9:13 the time!? thats not what it said on the sheet of information i got, but hey ho, i should be able to make 10minuets or so