Share This Page:

Energy drinks really do work!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
lodge939

Energy drinks really do work!

Post by lodge939 »

I used to think they were a gimmick but before my 5miler today I supped 4 ASDA 'Blue Charge' and the time went from 40:44 (last Sat) to 40:08.

The downside is, all the caffeine dehydrates you. Halfway through my mouth was dry as a bone.
Joe-T

Post by Joe-T »

It's true, they can give you a boost and enhance your performance temporarily. The last time I took some Red Bull was when I was on my RMAD, I thought it would be a good idea to take a few cans for me to drink during lunch, but the only thing it did for me was make me feel bloated and full of gas, which is not a good feeling when you've got a bleep test to do next. :-?

I have since thought that it is a bad idea to drink the stuff, I would much rather think that I can pass my PRMC without the aid of an energy drink :P

If I can give you any advise, it would be not drink too many of them, I used to drink 1 litre a day, 5 days a week when I was younger :o and it didn't do my heart much good at the time, I ended having palpitations and an irregular heart beat, fortunately it's all clear now, but it was a silly mistake at the time.

Well done with your time though, keep it up. :P
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

You, sir, are a nutter. Steer well clear. 4 cans and you only gained 36 seconds on a 40-minute run? They're really not worth the bother.
Alfa

Re: Energy drinks really do work!

Post by Alfa »

lodge939 wrote:The downside is, all the caffeine dehydrates you. Halfway through my mouth was dry as a bone.
That say's it all mate, good times are nothing if you end up spanking in.
SamForrest

Post by SamForrest »

I necked about 5 redbulls before my last PJFT,done nothing for energy but I felt sick as anything!

I often take caffine suppliments and as well as countless things over the years of training,I dont think anythings ever actually given me any buzz or alertness.
Dangermouse

Re: Energy drinks really do work!

Post by Dangermouse »

lodge939 wrote:I used to think they were a gimmick but before my 5miler today I supped 4 ASDA 'Blue Charge' and the time went from 40:44 (last Sat) to 40:08.

The downside is, all the caffeine dehydrates you. Halfway through my mouth was dry as a bone.

w@#k works too. I had one this morning and done extra sets in the gym
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

I'd stay away from the likes of red bull and other similar drinks,their full of sh!te,far too much sugar and other nasty chemicals,taste minging and rot your teeth.Get your energy from complex carbs that will keep you going throughout the day,its much better than having a spurt and then a huge dip where you feel drained afterwards.If I had to have some quick release energy I'd just neck a mars bar into me.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Caffeine is a widely used energy supplement amongst athletes (it is I believe even band in certain high dosages in some sports) I see mainly power athletes using it for a energy boost.

Personally as you are (I assume) training for the military I’d steer well clear, caffeine can be very doggie in my opinion, and it will de-hydrate you which really isn't what you want when participating in endurance exercise it can also push your HR to dangerously high levels. Though I’ve herd and seem some evidence to support the fact that it may well be very beneficial to strength athletes it is a very sketchy topic.

Red bull it's self is full of additive, sugar and other crap and really over all wont be good for the body. The gain you made on your run might not have been affected by caffeine at all, it could have just been a good day or you could have been experiencing a placebo affect where by you believe its giving you extra energy when in fact your just un-consciously pushing your self further.

Steer clear in my opinion, though obviously small amount it pretty harmless drinking to execs (as with anything) wont do you any favors in the long run.

Stokey
Last edited by Stokey_14 on Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
del_boi

Post by del_boi »

Pro Plus, Red Bull, Caffine Boosts, Its all S@$t and it does your heart no good. if u want a drink have water. Why deppend on enery boosts to help your score if you cant pull off the time yourself then you need to train harder. Might as well have steriods while your at it. :x
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

del_boi wrote:Pro Plus, Red Bull, Caffine Boosts, Its all S@$t and it does your heart no good. if u want a drink have water. Why deppend on enery boosts to help your score if you cant pull off the time yourself then you need to train harder. Might as well have steriods while your at it. :x
Can't say I’d agree with classing Steroidal substances and caffeine in the same bracket.

I wont go on to debate this as I would bore everyone and go on for far to long but I think it's a bit over the top to class a mild stimulant along side hormonal drugs :-?

Finding supplements and techniques to improve your athletic performance in my opinion is great you just have to know which ones to go for and which ones to leave alone.

Stokey
agapito

Post by agapito »

Alright mate, i tried using redbull to enhance training performace..dont know about the effects it has on other peoples body but it didn't help me much with my training made me ; dehydrated, and after a 6mile run gave me a headache. What i would recommend and it does work is nutriments http://dedicated.cf.ac.uk/reviewspics/nutriment.jpg, can get them from your local shops or supermarkets.
southernsun

Post by southernsun »

I found drinking 2 Orange lucozades (they are loaded with sugar...don't think the original lucozade has any in...going off the 'nutritional info' at the back of the bottle.) an hour before a best effort run always makes me fly.
del_boi

Post by del_boi »

I just think that using these drinks to ''enhance'' your performance is silly when you can have a drink of water and put a little bit more effot in. I doupt they will look to kindly on you drinking Red Bull and lukozade during basic training before doing PT. Your jus going to become dependant on that to get your times. Just be carfull. :wink:
lodge939

Post by lodge939 »

I take it all back. Tonight I switched the energy drinks for a big serving of pasta and I had the same increased energy without the dry mouth.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Red Bull - only good for waking up a bit more for work in the morning after a heavy night out! STUPID for exercise. It will just fill your gut with gas and dehydrate you.

Lucozade - yes please. Just like most other energy drinks it give's you a glucose spike in your blood stream which helps aid performance and it does make a difference. Like anything, everybody react's differently, it will be more potent in others. I only feel a temporary effect from it and I find it worth it if I'm feeling a little more fatigued than usual. While some other people who I know bounce off the wall's after drinking one bottle of it.

Water - no energy from this, just hydration. That's all the body needs. It craves it all day long. Water is so vital because you cannot live without it. You can go for a good while without food, but water on the other hand - no. Keep hydrated lads and you'll feel alot better. Dehydration is far worse for you than having a less amount of food or nutrients in your gut to metabolise for energy. Never ignore water intake.

As I said before, personally I sometimes take energy drink's when I'm feeling a little bit more fatigued than usual and yes, they help me.
You're heading down if you think you can take Red Bull or anything like that and hope for a better performance all around, the effect;s will be temporary but in the bigger picture, you'll gain sweet-fa when compared to eating and hydrating properly!

There are the facts lads.

All the best. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."