Share This Page:

Smartie tubes

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
bungyned

Smartie tubes

Post by bungyned »

Does anyone have any accurate info on these and the other tunnels on the Endurance course, i.e length, dimensions and how many of them there are? Also what happens if anyone gets stuck, has this actually happened before? I don't want to sound all PC but is it actually safe? I have my PRMC coming up soon and the only thing that worries me is the tunnels and the smartie tubes in particular. I am quite claustrophobic and quite broad and the thought of getting myself through these tubes is terrifying me. So much so that it is affecting my sleep and I really am shitting myself. All I have ever dreamed of is a career in the Marines and I have worked hard to maintain an excellent standard of fitness. Any help and advice really would be greatly appreciated.
jay999

Post by jay999 »

You don't do the endurance course on PRMC.
100% welsh

Post by 100% welsh »

Hi mate,......a lad from my uncle's troop was to big to fit in the tubes (he was farkin huge). They made him do press instead of the tubes, if you are worried about getting stuck I hope that helps, lol.
Brows

Post by Brows »

Bungy,

As stated previously you don't do the endurance course on PRMC, had you been doing POC then you would have had to tackle them.
I'm not claustrophobic so I didn't have a problem going through them and being quite a small bloke I felt I had ample room. But I can definitely see how some people can see them as an issue.
You do go into complete darkness at some points only to be reminded of the direction you need to be going by a bang on the head or a boot in the face. I couldn't tell you how many/length etc because whilst going through them I was fecked, it was just a keep going at that point. However I’ve heard the longest one is 50ft/meters. There is water in most of them and reasonably sharp gravel there to fook your arms up.
They did make us carry around a couple of shovels in case they collapsed along with the key to empty the sheep dip. But I think that was just to try and mess with our heads and to give us something else to carry more than anything else. Good old Mr. Armstrong (who I very much hope is in YO training right now) ended carrying two things at one point, quite glad he passed since I had to carry his arse for the fireman’s carry.
They are safe since they are made of concrete.

If/when you get to training you will have to go through them, like I say I didn't have a problem with them but it may become a small personal war you will have to face. Look at it this way; if you did get stuck etc (it won't happen) you'll have the instructing team and a bunch of your best mates doing everything they can to get you out.
Relax, they're not as bad as they look.

All the best

Brows
RM Commission progress

POC: 04/06/07 -Passed
AIB: 02/07/07 -Fail, needed more life experience

Intend to re-apply after I have gone to university

Read my diaries in the RM archives section THEN PM me if you have a question
degrees of passion

Re: Smartie tubes

Post by degrees of passion »

bungyned wrote:I am quite claustrophobic
Not speaking from experience here but from what I've read,RM training will soon sort out your clausrophobia.Im thinking of the water tunnel and the simulated helicopter crash in water,upside down then in the dark.After these you should learn to be much more comfortable in confined spaces etc
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Rhyno13

Post by Rhyno13 »

I actually did the Endurance course at the weekend as part of my RMR training.
There is nothing really to worry about. There was not that much water in the tunnels and thats in the middle of winter after alot of rain! You'll be hanging out of your hoop and adrealine will be kicking in so the last thing on your mind will be "ooo these tunnels are quite tight". And what's more likely is there will be someone right up your ar$e shouting at you to get a move on!
Now the run back to camp afterwards is what you should be worried about!
TomClarke

Post by TomClarke »

jay999 wrote:You don't do the endurance course on PRMC.
Why would that matter ? You will eventually do them and if the thought is keeping you up at night this could be a problem as far as having a career. If I was you try and put yourself in the same position see how you cope might be you imagination?

Tom
surfingdream

Re: Smartie tubes

Post by surfingdream »

bungyned wrote:Doe anyone have any accurate info on these and the other tunnels on the endurance course, i.e length, dimensions and how many of them there are? Also what happens if anyone gets stuck, has this actually happened before? I don't want to sound all PC but is it actually safe? I have my PRMC coming up soon and the only thing that worries me is the tunnels and the smartie tubes in particular. I am quite claustrophobic and quite broad and the thought of getting myself through these tubes is terrifying me. So much so that it is affecting my sleep and I really am shitting myself. All I have ever dreamed of is a career in the Marines and I have worked hard to maintain an excellent standard of fitness. Any help and advice really would be greatly appreciated.
You wana be a Bootneck and you can't crawl through a wet and muddy tunnel?? Come on it's not the Air cadets is it!!!.

You will be fine mate.

Church
karlbfc

Post by karlbfc »

Mate, you are going to be a boot neck you are going to be in one of the best armed forces in the world the best in my opinion if you are going to make it into it you can't let a bit of mud and concrete scare you.

Good Luck
bungyned

Post by bungyned »

Cheers for all the support, I half expected to have the piss taken out of me and be told to just get on with it. Is ther any videos on sites like youtube that I may find of help.
fodd

Post by fodd »

bungyned wrote:Cheers for all the support, I half expected to have the piss taken out of me and be told to just get on with it. Is ther any videos on sites like youtube that I may find of help.
Mate you have got to pass your PRMC then at least 24 weeks of RM training before you even worry about smartie tubes etc worry more on getting in first! :roll: :roll: :roll:
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Dunna worry about them tubes sunshine. When you get to that phase of training you would crawl though a Chinkys Jock Strap with a dose of CLAP if your Section Cpl told you to do it!!! :D :D :D

Artist
Sully

Post by Sully »

That's about it - in a nutshell 8)

Fear will become your friend :-?
Per Flank, Per Tank
Doc

Post by Doc »

You no longer do the endurance on PRC?????? Sorry PRMC!

You still do the Assault course and USMC test I take it?
Sully

Post by Sully »

Showing your age there opps :-?

I remember on ours one of the DS screaming "Stop 'kin shivering" :roll: Thing is.......you can!
Per Flank, Per Tank