Share This Page:

SEAL Training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Darren82

SEAL Training

Post by Darren82 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqskS9p9vI

Just stayed up 5 hours to watch this, really interesting
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

Cheers for that. It must be pure comedy being one of those NCO's, however they certainly have earnt the right, although:
SEALS are special forces in America however a pass rate of 16 out of 83, isn't that roughly the same as RM or para training...and in Britain these are considered regular forces.
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

Main interest for me is how they cope with the cold (winter BUD/S) and hell week as you can't really describe how it feels being constantly thrashed, wet and freezing for 5 days on no sleep

Poor sods :D
stretch

Post by stretch »

It's only really SEAL team six that are considered 'proper SF' - they're the tier one types who get the gucci jobs. The rest of the SEAL teams are classed as tier 2 SF, which if it was compared to our lot would be roughly equivalent to paras and bootnecks, or so I understand it.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

mm1306 wrote:Cheers for that. It must be pure comedy being one of those NCO's, however they certainly have earnt the right, although:
SEALS are special forces in America however a pass rate of 16 out of 83, isn't that roughly the same as RM or para training...and in Britain these are considered regular forces.
Okely Dokely. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Couple of questions:

1) Are SEALS part of the Navy? If they are, does that mean anyone from the USN and USMC are volunteer for them?

2) Can you join the SEALS straight off or do you have to do a certain amount of service?

3) Is the shaven hair standard issue?
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

My understanding is that SEALs are the US version of SBS, in a very rough way at least. I mean the yanks have more special forces units than you can shake a stick at!
'Peace is to important to be left to politicians'
E5_Man

Post by E5_Man »

Mr_Kiwi wrote:My understanding is that SEALs are the US version of SBS, in a very rough way at least. I mean the yanks have more special forces units than you can shake a stick at!
I always thought they were the American Royal Marines, SEAL Sea Air Land
Before you insult someone, first walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
Ty

Post by Ty »

E5_Man wrote:
Mr_Kiwi wrote:My understanding is that SEALs are the US version of SBS, in a very rough way at least. I mean the yanks have more special forces units than you can shake a stick at!
I always thought they were the American Royal Marines, SEAL Sea Air Land
Not quite. The Americans have the Marines, which is already a different part of the Army. They have there own funding and troops seperate from the Army, just like the Royal Marines. SEALS are part of the navy. They are just navy individuals that go on training to become Navy special forces.

The 3 most common " special forces " from United States being the SEALS, Green Berets, and United States Army Special Forces.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Technically Seal Team Six doesn't exist anymore, I believe it's called DEVGRU or something now. I believe this is more like the CRW of the SAS rather than a "higher tier" of the SEAL's.

The SEAL's are definitely classed as fully fledged "tier one" Special Forces and have more all round training than Royal Marines or Para Reg.

For example every member is trained in HALO/HAHO, SCUBA and undertake resistance to interrogation training.

I couldn't really comment on how good the are when compared to other SF units cause to be honest I have no idea! All I know about them is from what I've read in books lol

However they certainly do a lot of work hunting down high value targets and also work along side the CIA rather than patrolling the streets of Iraq/Afghanistan which is what they'd be doing if they were the same "type" of unit as the Marines/Paras.
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

Alfa wrote:Technically Seal Team Six doesn't exist anymore, I believe it's called DEVGRU or something now. I believe this is more like the CRW of the SAS rather than a "higher tier" of the SEAL's.

The SEAL's are definitely classed as fully fledged "tier one" Special Forces and have more all round training than Royal Marines or Para Reg.

For example every member is trained in HALO/HAHO, SCUBA and undertake resistance to interrogation training.

I couldn't really comment on how good the are when compared to other SF units cause to be honest I have no idea! All I know about them is from what I've read in books lol

However they certainly do a lot of work hunting down high value targets and also work along side the CIA rather than patrolling the streets of Iraq/Afghanistan which is what they'd be doing if they were the same "type" of unit as the Marines/Paras.
So as I said, basically the US version of SBS. Most recruits are from the navy/marines, their main skills revolve around boat work and swimming. And they are the same level of special forces as SBS/SAS/Delta and so on.
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

Has anybody even watched this yet or should we all just sit around and whinge about who's what when why and how?

8)
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I saw this a few months ago and thought it was pretty interesting, some of the staff were pretty entertaining to watch, like the bloke "motiviating" them on the 4 mile beach run using the PA on his vehicle.

The UDT phase was, IMHO, very interesting, if only for the sheer amount of information needed to be taken onboard, on top of all the warry elements.
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

Good point Darren82, and yes I have seen it. Found it pretty interesting.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Ty wrote:
Not quite. The Americans have the Marines, which is already a different part of the Army.!?!?!?! They have there own funding and troops seperate from the Army, just like the Royal Marines.!?!?!? SEALS are part of the navy. They are just navy individuals that go on training to become Navy special forces.

The 3 most common " special forces " from United States being the SEALS, Green Berets, and United States Army Special Forces.
The USMC are part of the United States Navy.

The Royal Marines are part of the Royal Navy.

Get your facts right before posting your questimations on this site.

Artist