Share This Page:

Fat loss and muscle building

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

A good reminder from Artist and I was waiting for it as well.

Anyone on here who thinks they can crack the course by bulking up is only kidding themselves. That's not what this thread is about at all so if you're reading and you were thinking that, go elsewhere.

All the best.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
hemmingwayIII

Post by hemmingwayIII »

Some really useful advice in this thread!
I've taken note of alot of it and hope it will do for me what it has done for everyone else. :D

Cheers :wink:
Life Is Short, So, Sleep When You're Dead
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

I've started using the weights room at my gym at uni but I get really fed up as it seems to be the kind that if you ain't built like Arnie you ain't welcome! I've got some free weights at home which I use in my ordinary daily routine, am I going to be missing out on a lot if I stop using the gym for weights. As has been said so many times in this forum I am not interested in bulking up, I'm not naturally bulky and so see no point in sacraficing my cardio for extra muscle mass. Along with my cardio routine I do a circuit work out, climbing and lots of reps with relatively light weights, I'm just fed up of the pure meat-heads in my gym!
Am I going to miss out?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Spence

Post by Spence »

By not going to a gym? Not at all, build yourself a sled to drag and pull, find something heavy and carry it for a while, be inventive.

However, I would say never ever let anyone tell you that you are not good enough to do somthing, or that you are too small/too big or whatever. Just don't settle for it. Get back in that weight room and let your work ethic do the talking.
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

I must admit, I find the weights room a tad boring as well, struggle to motivate myself in there, would much rather be going for a run or climbing in the lake district (only half an hour away).

Cheers though, advice is always appreciated and I must admit I do like the idea of building a sledge and charging around pulling that, my girlfriend suggested I pull her to uni everyday.
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

Mind you my girlfriend is a bit skinny, need a bit of a heifer to drag really!
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:mind you my girlfriend is a bit skinny, need a bit of a heffer to drag really!
Tell her to bring a friend along or two! :wink:

David
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

climbing in the lake district
Crack on with that mate, climbing is great for upper and lower body strength... I still believe all the tree climbing, fence hopping and other dangerous climbing activities gave me a hell of a kick start when it came to pull ups.

Was like a little orangutan, on speed :lol:

Stokey
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Tell her to bring a friend along or two!
If she's got a sister tell her to bring her along, then when what you've just said registers in her head, run like the clappers... I guarantee you're 3 miler time will be smashed in half with her hot on you're heals. :D

Stokey
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

Well she's Norwegian and so her sister is a hell of a long way away but I could tell her to bring one of her hot flat mates along :D

Yeah, climbing is awesome for your upper body the one good thing about the weights room here at uni is I can beast all the bodybuilderesque guys when it comes to pull ups 8)
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed.

First of all, if you know you're not bulking up and you aren't doing it for the specific reason of bulking up because you're training towards a career in the marines, then do not be put off or feel that you have to justify yourself by saying that you aren't doing it to bulk up. Don't worry about what anyone thinks on here. If they don't like it, they should ignore it.

It's been stated on this thread a few times about what it's about and what to avoid. End of ok.

The same applies to this gym of yours. Get back in there and crack on. Forget about anyone else. Those 'meat heads' were once smaller than they were so forget what they think and you do what you have to do. If anyone has a problem with it, I'm sure they'll say something to you. That's the last thing you should be thinking about. Get back in that gym and get on with it ok.

Another fact you might want to know. Bodybuilder's don't train specifically for strength. They train for sheer physique. Just for size. Bodybuilding is a competition where having symmetrical muscles counts (or is supposed to). Don't worry about their size or how much they can lift etc.

Go in, do the business and then go about your day.

All the best.
AJ

Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

cheers AJ, sound advice as ever!

Will definitely try to get back in there, its not particularly size intimidation cos I know that as far as what I'm training for I'm far fitter than the majority of them.
But yeah you're right, I shouldn't be bothered by the rest of them :D
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:cheers AJ, sound advice as ever!

Will definitely try to get back in there, its not particularly size intimidation cos I know that as far as what I'm training for I'm far fitter than the majority of them.
But yeah you're right, I shouldn't be bothered by the rest of them :D
Think of it this way. Half, if not most of them, started out with nothing. Everyone starts out from somewhere. So just keep going ok.

Take care. 8)
AJ