Share This Page:

Fat loss and muscle building

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I've only just noticed this thread. Top advice thier AJ, nice one! :D
Ed_Bailey87

Cross fit

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

All those pull ups they do on those cross fit videos, they don't go down to a full arm extention do they? Still pretty impressive endurance and stamina tho!
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
AJtothemax

Re: Cross fit

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:All those pull ups they do on those cross fit videos, they don't go down to a full arm extention do they? Still pretty impressive endurance and stamina tho!
No they dont really, but still, you try doing that! :lol:

Thats f*ckin hard work. They're seriously overloading the same muscle groups over and over and that does take strength. Not only that but i bet their mental attitude to training is bang on.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

Aside from mental attitude (which is realise is the most important cos no matter how fit I can get I will still be pushed beyond my limits :D ), as far as strength goes is it a matter of having an awesome power to weight ratio?
Oh and I forgot, about my prev post on pilates? Have you got any advice about it as I've been recommended it as a good way of avoiding injury and strengthening the core muscle groups?

thanks

Ed
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:Aside from mental attitude (which is realise is the most important cos no matter how fit I can get I will still be pushed beyond my limits :D ), as far as strength goes is it a matter of having an awesome power to weight ratio?
Oh and I forgot, about my prev post on pilates? Have you got any advice about it as I've been recommended it as a good way of avoiding injury and strengthening the core muscle groups?

thanks

Ed
Sorry i've replied late, been busy as of late and have only popped on to look and say a comment here and there.

http://www.pilates.co.uk/Pilates-And-Men.htm

Nothing that strengthens the core can really weaken you. Judge for yourself. 8)
AJ

Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

Awesome mate, got hold of a book for myself today and I'm gonna start including it in my routine. Thanks very much

Ed
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:
Awesome mate, got hold of a book for myself today and I'm gonna start including it in my routine. Thanks very much

Ed
Alot of people neglect the core. Having a weak core can be the cause of alot of injuries. Strong core equals strong foundations.

Keep at it. All the best. 8)
AJ

Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

Any advice about creatine mate? I've been using a whey powder in conjunction with my training but I've been wondering about incorporating creatine into my training as well. I had a look around the net and there seems to be a lot of mixed reports about the benefits of it or rather there seems to be a lot of reports of incorrect use. I was just wondering seen as you seem to be somewhat of a guru what you thought of its use?
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:Any advice about creatine mate? I've been using a whey powder in conjunction with my training but I've been wondering about incorporating creatine into my training as well. I had a look around the net and there seems to be a lot of mixed reports about the benefits of it or rather there seems to be a lot of reports of incorrect use. I was just wondering seen as you seem to be somewhat of a guru what you thought of its use?
Whey protien will just help you increase your lean muscle mass and wont do anything to increase your endurance.

I'll tell you what I have sent someone via PM about Creatine: Yes it should help you. If it talks about a 'loading' phase on the tub, thats bollocks mate, just start off normally and you'll be fine. Creatine I've found works better with anaerobic endurance, and that includes weight training as I think it's more beneficial to that as it helped me A LOT when I was really heavy on the old weight training for rugby last year, before my op.

I swear by Creatine Monohydrate, I think that's the best because it's worked the best for me, but others swear by Creatine Serum, it's all a matter of perspective - if you've used it and it worked for you, then you'll carrying on using it wont you. It can only be 99.9% pure, there's no such thing as 100% pure creatine. The best stuff I found worked for me though, was the Creatine Monohydrate with D-Ribose or Ribose in it. Creatine is a naturally occuring substance, it's even in Steak.

A quick bit of detail on this: Creatine works by increasing the flow of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) in the muscles which then converts to ADP (adenosine diphosphate). Creatine increase the shuttle of ATP so it can be burned more, hense - more energy during yoru training sessions. ATP only comes in short bursts to the muscles, about 10 seconds or so. Creatine is meant to increase the flow and provide more ATP so you can train harder and longer.

Best bet is mate, take it and find out if it works. If you dont notice any difference, then fine. Make sure while you're on that stuff that you keep hydrated as it draws water rention to the muscles ok. That's nothing to worry about though alright.

As far as being a Guru goes.....:lol:

Thanks but no thats not true. I just read up a lot and talked and trained with people who really know what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to help you anytime. A couple of members I can definately name who know their stuff are ADDiction and Spence. Either of them can also advise you just as well.

All the best. 8)
AJ

Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I swear by Creatine Monohydrate, I think that's the best because it's worked the best for me, but others swear by Creatine Serum,
There is also creatine ethyl ester - a creatine monohydrate derivative- which some people I’ve spoken to say gave them much better gains than Monohydrate... but as you said it's all personal opinion, I think Monohydrate is the most widely used version of Creatine

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the Serum myself

(this was lifted from bb.com)

"The majority of studies regarding creatine supplementation have used creatine monohydrate, the form of creatine bound to a water molecule. Some studies suggest that the combination of creatine and carbohydrate will enhance absorption or "uptake" of creatine. Science shows that creatine is unstable in liquid form, meaning that serum or liquid delivery systems are currently not supported by scientific literature. "

Personally if you are going to try out a creatin substance, I’d go for Monohydrate (a lot more research and tests) but if you don't see and worth while gains on that, some folks don't, then why not try creatine ethyl ester (CEE). But as I said the serum, from what I’ve herd has had a lot of bad press (maybe with good reason, maybe not, I’m not knowledgeable enough to say )

By the way does anybody have any research/ evidence to show that creatine helps with Muscular endurance? I've heard from various sources that it does in fact help, but does it help sufficiently enough to say help running or cycling etc...just like to read up on it as I have often wondered, maybe there would there be other side effects (water retention etc) that would be more of a hindrance than the actual Endurance gain whilst on Creatine?

Hope I’ve made sense :lol:

Stokey
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

once again awesome response and very helpful! I think I'm going to try incorporating the monohydrate version into my training, any suggested brands or are they all much of a muchness?
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Can't really suggest a brand (sure someone else can)... just don't go with some cheep stuff from Holland and Barrats, health rack, Argos etc. then again don't just buy the most expensive on you can find... remember it going into you're body therefore any extra crap that’s with it will also be doing the same... if you're having it on a daily basis then that might not be great for over all health.

one I here a lot about is called "green Mag" or something like that :-? look into it see what you think :D

Best of luck

Stokey
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ed_Bailey87 wrote:once again awesome response and very helpful! I think I'm going to try incorporating the monohydrate version into my training, any suggested brands or are they all much of a muchness?
Mate, they all claim to be the best. Otherwise they wouldn't make money as there are far too many out there.

This website is one of the cheapest I have seen and has alot on it. Recommend it to anyone who's looking to purchase supplements. Here's what I used to use: http://www.thesupplementstore.co.uk/int ... octane.htm

I found that stuff sh*t hot and it made me work harder than any other creatine I have been on. There is a brand called Vitargo but im not quite sure if its still about. That stuff is rocket fuel. Just a massive amount of carbs in a drink. I bought the Vitargo that had creatine in it once as well. Back when I used to do boxing, I found myself going alot futher than everyone in the session and my own person gains were pretty good. If you can get your hands on that stuff somehow, then you should consider trying it.
Stokey14 wrote:if you're having it on a daily basis then that might not be great for over all health
Correct. Once you have finished a cycle, and by that I mean you have gone through the tub, have a break of a month or two off of it. Please dont be put off, you're not going to turn into some bodybuilder sized bloke or something like that. It's just always best to give your body a break from time to time. With regards to using Whey protien, personally I would use that stuff for about 3 months before I had a break, but thats just me.
AJ

Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

You cycle Whey as well AJ :-? never herd of that before, come across creatine cycling and herd a lot of different views on it... Some people say it comes from food (which it does, or at least can be found in it anyways.) so cycling it is like cycling red meat... personally never used creatine so couldn't say... but I don't cycle Whey Protein just use a good brand and only have one a day along with a healthy balanced diet. It’s like chicken as far as I can see :lol: .

Have you ever used ZMA... herd a lot of good stuff about it, swear by it for a cracking nights sleep :lol:

Stokey
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Stokey_14 wrote:You cycle Whey as well AJ :-? never herd of that before, come across creatine cycling and herd a lot of different views on it... Some people say it comes from food (which it does, or at least can be found in it anyways.) so cycling it is like cycling red meat... personally never used creatine so couldn't say... but I don't cycle Whey Protein just use a good brand and only have one a day along with a healthy balanced diet. It’s like chicken as far as I can see :lol: .

Have you ever used ZMA... herd a lot of good stuff about it, swear by it for a cracking nights sleep :lol:

Stokey
You should cycle them. To be constantly hammering your body with them, eventually isn't the best for your body Stokey. There's alot more than just protien and a little bit of carbs. Creatine can be found in steak.

ZMA?? Erm...no. Can't think of what you're referring to or am I missing a joke or something????
AJ