Share This Page:

Commando: On The Front Line Ep. 3 - Discuss

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

Pte Golden wrote:I think the SF guy was ML.
Yes your right i think. As before " survival" you have a "day out" with the ML's where they teach you the techniques you need to know like making a fire, building shelters etc...They were the same ML's that taught us. Also we never got a heli ride out to dartmoor!!
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

Maybe he was a ML when it was recorded and now he works with SF so his identity has to be kept secret, just a guess.
marcus2007

Post by marcus2007 »

I know they have a lesson off ML during RT. Although i thought that ML was seen as special forces? Apparently the hardest selection course in the world?
Last edited by marcus2007 on Sat 06 Oct, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Week 6 of RM Training (7/1/2008)

956 Troop

Think of the worst, hope for the best...
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

The trained ranks involved in the Chickn & Rabbits WERE MLs. MLs have quite a bit to do with recruit training. Anyone who has done Foggin Tor and Gidleigh Wood will know. ML's are classed as SF, hence the blurred faces. All ML courses are now run from CTC so they are around.

I couldn't remember so I checked this morning. The "star of the show" does make an exit in the next episode - thankfully. Anybody would think that he was the only one in the troop!!!!!

Helo support at CTC is very sparse at the moment and has been for quite a while (I should know - I refuel them!!!). This is because most cabs are in theatre at the moment. Any troop lifts are done by the RAF in one of their new Merlins or a Chinook. It maybe fun, but a bus ride gives you a better sleep!!
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

marcus2007 wrote:I know they have a lesson off ML during RT. Although i thought that ML was seen as special forces? Apparently the hardest selectiom course in the world?

Yeah - once you fail the SF aquaint, you go ML ! :D
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Stix@CTC,

What does RV3 - usually mean?

Cheers
Ty

Post by Ty »

I noticed they said, the troops were carrying up to 100 pounds of equipment. Is this correct, or was Chris just talking out of his ass ?. I march with my brother in the Canadian Military and we only carry 50 - 60 pounds MAX. Even then I can only march about 13 km's without feeling burnt out, and Im a strong guy. Anyone have any answers ?
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Ty wrote:I noticed they said, the troops were carrying up to 100 pounds of equipment. Is this correct, or was Chris just talking out of his ass ?. I march with my brother in the Canadian Military and we only carry 50 - 60 pounds MAX. Even then I can only march about 13 km's without feeling burnt out, and Im a strong guy. Anyone have any answers ?
At the point at which he said it they were carrying day sacks so no,

But,

once they pass out the loads get heavier and heavier. In camp, you usually see the JCC and the SCC moving around like human tortoises.
Personal kit doesn't come up that far but once you get given a couple of Mortar bombs, some sigs kit and a I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! sink.......
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

davidemmerson wrote:Stix@CTC,

What does RV3 - usually mean?

Cheers
Woodbury Common, where about 75% of recruit training takes place has car parks all over it. This is where the transport drops off the recruit troops. RV stands for RendezVous - which is Frog speak for meeting place. RV3 marks the start of the Endurance Course, and hence in my job I'm either dropping someone off there or waiting there as the safety vehicle. This morning (6/10/07) at 7am I was there with 938 troop who were doing their endurance passout and 939 who were doing their first timed run. Two troops - only one drop out!
druadan

Post by druadan »

MLs are classed as SF? You mean Sadistic Fcukers Stix surely? :wink:

They're not badged, therefore surely not SF. Although I can understand the identity protection if they're involved in Recce/BPT.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

The guy who has uploaded all 3 episodes and 55 year old commando has also uploaded Peter and Dan Snow's program on the Falklands, the film An Ungentlemanly Act and the program Guarding the Queen. Good watches.

Mitch
mark.f

Post by mark.f »

Where can I watch the 55 year old Commando?
james_m

Post by james_m »

mark.f

thanks

Post by mark.f »

cheers mate :D
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

druadan wrote:MLs are classed as SF? You mean Sadistic Fcukers Stix surely? :wink:

They're not badged, therefore surely not SF. Although I can understand the identity protection if they're involved in Recce/BPT.
Right, I'm on slightly dodgy ground here because you really need to talk to someone that is actually an ML. But, it's an organisational thing I think. Just as SBS are now not (technically) part of the Royal Marines because they don't come under the control of 3rd CDO Brigade (that is why they now have their own cap badge and belt) the MLs are similarly structured. Can't explain more because I don't know and I won't fill in the gaps. But, they are classed as SF. Y Troop were classed as SF up to a couple of years ago also.