Share This Page:

Ranks within troops...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
designervision

Ranks within troops...

Post by designervision »

Ok well there is a debate in our house as to whether there are ranks withing troops!

If an officer is killed, who leads the troop. If the next person is killed, who leads them then? Is there a special rank right up to the last person?

Thanks,

Sam. :D
--"Pain is temporary, the Green Beret is forever"--
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Lol if it ever got that far it would be done on length of service, e.g. a marine whos been out of training 4 weeks would be more up the food chain than a marine who has just joined the battalion :o Probably a democracy is the best thing to adopt if your IC + 2IC (and all you juniour NCOs..) are dead!
xcj

Post by xcj »

Im guessing that even if everyone in a position of leadership was dead or injured, leadership wouldn't be a problem. Someone would take the situation without needing to sit in a school circle and vote on who it should be!

I can imagine in a situation where bullets are flying around, if someone stands up and takes charge, most will follow.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

In the unlikely event that all the ranking officers, etc. are put out of action, I think it works something like this.

Any remaining servicemen who wish to be considered for the role must complete the following sentance in 10 words or less - "I want to be the big boss man because..."

The entries are then put to the public vote and, I believe, the 2 with the highest number of votes then duel for the right to be in charge.

*Please note that this is based on what I have heard in the pub from my mate Dave who was in the SAS, SBS, Navy Seals and Delta Force. Therefore, some of the information contained in this post may be factually incorrect or in the wrong order.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

ali_hire wrote:In the unlikely event that all the ranking officers, etc. are put out of action, I think it works something like this.

Any remaining servicemen who wish to be considered for the role must complete the following sentance in 10 words or less - "I want to be the big boss man because..."

The entries are then put to the public vote and, I believe, the 2 with the highest number of votes then duel for the right to be in charge.

*Please note that this is based on what I have heard in the pub from my mate Dave who was in the SAS, SBS, Navy Seals and Delta Force. Therefore, some of the information contained in this post may be factually incorrect or in the wrong order.
Ali is 100 per cent correct, i have witnessed this first hand on my tour of Mars with the 28th Regiment of flying commando trained potatoe heads recce troop (they are a good bunch of lads but the 490 weeks basic training was a tad long, but as long as you can bench press 180kg then you should be fine, at least on the 32 day PFCPHC, which is their version of PRMC).

If anyone would like any info on this Regiment just ask. I KNOW EVERYTHING.
fodd

Post by fodd »

letsrole wrote:Lol if it ever got that far it would be done on length of service, e.g. a marine whos been out of training 4 weeks would be more up the food chain than a marine who has just joined the battalion :o Probably a democracy is the best thing to adopt if your IC + 2IC (and all you juniour NCOs..) are dead!

MARINES IN BATTALIONS! I REST MY CASE STUDENTS TALKING LIKE THEY KNOW EVERYTHING
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Fodd, get a grip you penarse. The commando units are battalions within the brigade :wink:
jamiet88

Post by jamiet88 »

dwarfy wrote:
ali_hire wrote:In the unlikely event that all the ranking officers, etc. are put out of action, I think it works something like this.

Ali is 100 per cent correct, i have witnessed this first hand on my tour of Mars with the 28th Regiment of flying commando trained potatoe heads recce troop (they are a good bunch of lads but the 490 weeks basic training was a tad long, but as long as you can bench press 180kg then you should be fine, at least on the 32 day PFCPHC, which is their version of PRMC).

If anyone would like any info on this Regiment just ask. I KNOW EVERYTHING.

yea i would like to know more about PFCPHC. i would like to apply, i can bench press 5 ton (hydrolic arms) :P
Application- January 07

physcometric- passed January 07

interview- passed 17/04/07

medical- passed 25/04/07

PJFT- passed 30/04/07 (9:51)

PRMC - 12th June Pass

RT - 10th September
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

fodd wrote:
letsrole wrote:Lol if it ever got that far it would be done on length of service, e.g. a marine whos been out of training 4 weeks would be more up the food chain than a marine who has just joined the battalion :o Probably a democracy is the best thing to adopt if your IC + 2IC (and all you juniour NCOs..) are dead!

MARINES IN BATTALIONS! I REST MY CASE STUDENTS TALKING LIKE THEY KNOW EVERYTHING
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Er, except he happens to be correct. If all ranks are gone, section command goes by length of service.

At least, that's the rule in the Army, I don't see it being any different in the RM.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Don't know the written law, but Bootnecks most definitely do not serve in battalions...lads at units will take offence :wink: It's akin to calling a Troop a Platoon (it's just not, okay?) :o
fodd

Post by fodd »

druadan wrote:Don't know the written law, but Bootnecks most definitely do not serve in battalions...lads at units will take offence :wink: It's akin to calling a Troop a Platoon (it's just not, okay?) :o
THATS THE POINT I WAS MAKING BUT COULDN'T BE BOTHERED WITH AN ARGUMENT!
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Dont mean you doubt you Duradan, but from what I get a lot of my research from, read the first line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_No._45_Commando

Thats what I meant. And If you click on the blued out 'battalion' it goes onto describe a battalion.

Didnt mean to cause any arguments but you snapped first FODD!
_chris

Post by _chris »

Your link only says that 45 commando is battalion sized something no-one has denied. A commando is battalion sized, doesn't mean its called a battalion though.
bird

Post by bird »

Yawn, is it that time already? :roll: :roll:
On the road to recovery.