Share This Page:

Shishak

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
shishak

Shishak

Post by shishak »

All right people

I have a couple of questions about commando selection

How long does the selection process take? For example if I applied this week, when could i expect to be called for the PRMC?
Reading the posts on this website it seems that they can change PRMC dates at the end of a year, to the following year.

Thanks
Hughser

Post by Hughser »

It all depends on your AFCO, mine told me I could be in Recruit Training within a month of my psychometrics providing I passed each hurdle.

It's a good time to apply though, with recruitment low - they will be quicker to process the requests.
Recruit Tests - Passed
Interview - Passed
-- Injured --
2nd Interview - Passed
Medical - Passed
PJFT - 9.39 Passed
RMAD - 20th November
PRMC - 4th December
Cliodna

Post by Cliodna »

Which is it to be Shishak??
RAF or RM??? or are you just weighing up your options at the mo??
AJtothemax

Re: Shishak

Post by AJtothemax »

shishak wrote:All right people

I have a couple of questions about commando selection

How long does the selection process take? For example if I applied this week, when could i expect to be called for the PRMC?
Reading the posts on this website it seems that they can change PRMC dates at the end of a year, to the following year.

Thanks
Ring your AFCO and talk to them, they and only they will really be able to judge how long your application will take, generally speaking.

All the best.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

mine took 7 months , but i've heard of people going thorugh in two . Depends if your afco can pull there finger out.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
shishak

RM selection

Post by shishak »

I filled out the expression of interest from on the Navy website, but I don't
know how long it would take for them to get back to me. Does anyone reckon it would be better to ring the AFCO directly?

As to the question about the RM or RAF. I don't know yet which I should apply to. The British military has some excellent units. I was watching
the marine commando programme on BBC 2 last night with Jeremy Clarkson. Tough guys, definitely. I started training on the 9th of march
and can only manage about 1.5 miles at the moment. Imagine speed marching over long distances?
shishak

selection length

Post by shishak »

as above
Cliodna

Post by Cliodna »

shishak,
ring the AFCO and get their opinion.
Get them to send you the "corporate bumph" ref what you are interested in for starters, and book an appt for an informal chat.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Why don't you visit your AFCO matey thats what I did and I'm well on form now it motivated me so much to sending me application off tomorrow :D

Eagle Eye
chris5818

Re: RM selection

Post by chris5818 »

shishak wrote:I filled out the expression of interest from on the Navy website, but I don't
know how long it would take for them to get back to me. Does anyone reckon it would be better to ring the AFCO directly?
Mate they won't, everyone i know who has expressed an interest over the internet never got a call or any info back at all mate so your best going to the careers office
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
shishak

RM selection

Post by shishak »

Cheers for the advice. Do you have to go and talk to them to get an app.
form? I reckon I know want job i want to do, and from the forum there's some sound advice. They (AFCO) would hardly buy that though, would they if you phoned them?
shishak

RM selection

Post by shishak »

in above i meant 'i reckon i know what job i want' Sorry, crap at grammar.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Shishak,

I agree with the idea of going into your AFCO and just having a good look at the jobs you think you may be interested in. They will have all the information you need to move your process forward and most importantly to allow you to fully decide on which way you want to go, be it RM or RAF.

If im being honest i never really knew much about the RM untill a friend of mine who was serving told me a little bit about them and what he got up and why he loved it so much, i liked the idea of it all and once i'd taken a closer look at it all in my own time thats what i decided i wanted to go for, and though i left during training my intention has always and still is to go back. I think each regiment/corps stands out for whatever reason to certain people, because of the person they are and different things make different people tick, so i would suggest getting all the info you can about the ones that takes your initial interest and then see which one stands out at the end.

The likelyhood is that you will know for sure where you want to be going and then you can really crack on with making it happen.

Best of luck,

Dwarfy
AJtothemax

Re: RM selection

Post by AJtothemax »

chris5818 wrote:
shishak wrote:I filled out the expression of interest from on the Navy website, but I don't
Mate they won't, everyone i know who has expressed an interest over the internet never got a call or any info back at all mate so your best going to the careers office
Dont know about you guys but i heard back from them within a month from the website. Happy days! :)

But as stated by myself and everyone above, ring your AFCO ok.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Iles

Post by Iles »

I filled the 'expression of interest form out this morning and got a phone call back this afternoon from the very nice eligibility officer. It was quite efficient I thought, they're sending me some bits in the post and they said they could make an appointment for a presentation thing at my AFCO. :D

Matt