Share This Page:

bow training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Have to say I find it a little odd that you are maxing a 6 minute mile over a 1.5 mile sprint, and only increase to a 6 minute 20 second mile over 6 miles with boots on. I would check your route to see if it really is a full 6 miles. If it's true, I want to know the secret to doing that, because it's a skill worth having!

Either way though, scores don't mean bollocks on here, it's how you do for the PTI's that will matter.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Scores, times, 3 miler's, 6 milers' press ups, whatever.

The FACT is you could turn up at CTC for RT with the just the bare minimum scores and fitness to have passed PRMC but still leave your with your Green Lid or alternatively you could turn up with some of the highest scores and fitness and wrap.

It really isnt the be all and end all, far from it.
Iles

Post by Iles »

I agree that scores aren't the be-all and end-all but is anyone going to actually answer his post or just call him a liar.
(I appreciate that I haven't actually answered his post but I felt the point needed making)
james_m

Post by james_m »

Are you talking Bow near Crediton? i.e. North Devon or is there another Bow?

Cheers
James
Iles

Post by Iles »

james_m wrote:Are you talking Bow near Crediton? i.e. North Devon or is there another Bow?

Cheers
James
I,m guessing that's Bow, East London famous for the bells by which true cockneys are judged.
ramz56

Post by ramz56 »

lol guys im one to admit when i'm wrong lol even if i do look like a w****r, did a route check and i ran 5.1 miles in 37:57 lol i think thats still good but not as good as it sounded before, i didnt just guess the route that i took though i got my mum to drive it and meanure it with her mileometer so summat must have gone wrong there! but my beep test score is genuine. lets all kiss and make up! btw i'm not making mty aplication for another 2 years, im 15 and when i do itll be for the reserves first so i can join as an officer when ive done uni.

ramsey
"per mere per terram" "esprit de corps"
Aptitude tests-PASSED
Medical-PASSED
Interview-PASSED
PJFT-PASSED (7.26)
ramz56

Post by ramz56 »

and yes im from bow, east london anyone near my parts
Aptitude tests-PASSED
Medical-PASSED
Interview-PASSED
PJFT-PASSED (7.26)
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

14.7 for a 15 year old is impressive :)
ramz56

Post by ramz56 »

thanks but i personally think it is easier for someone my age to get good fitness scores as long as they have been training because a- younger people are always active, doing something because of school especially boys who are always playing football
and b- we have about 3-4 hours of pe every week and if you do gcse pe then you have to attend lunchtime clubs for your gcse sports. but yes thanks
Aptitude tests-PASSED
Medical-PASSED
Interview-PASSED
PJFT-PASSED (7.26)
batess01

Post by batess01 »

welcome to the site, its a great place to chat about fitness and joining up etc.

But...

a) if one of your stats was not true/bullshit, then whats to say the others are not?

b) time to edit your stats? :wink:

Cheers,
Seb
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Ramsey,

Everything aside, good luck to you for your future plans and fair play to you for having such a clear goal at your age escpecially one such as your yours. It took me untill the age of 24 to decide exacty what i wanted to aim for.

Now i am no expert in this field so don't take what i say here as gospel, but maybe talk to someone who can either confirm or deny what i say. It appears you have been running a fair amount in boots, which from what i have heard and always been told, is not a good idea before you go into recruit training. The RM warn you to run only in trainers before you turn up to CTC as this will help avoid injuries before hand, such as the dreaded shin splints amoung others. Also at your age, i would imagine this was even more important as your body is still growing and bone and muscles are more prone to injury under such stress??

I know you havent mentioned it, but weight training is also a dangerous area for someone of fifteen, and certainly lifting heavy weights is a definate no no.

Like i say, i am no expert but i do know that you should be careful with your training as you dont want to develop a nasty injury over time due to over training at a young age. I would recomend going to see someone who knows exactly what they are talking about, as two years is along time to be training and a decent and safe plan would be worthwhile in my opinion.

Best of luck Ramz,

dwarfy
mitch_boxing

re

Post by mitch_boxing »

I will also add to that, do not run in boots until you get closer to RT. The reason for this is because they do cause shin splints a lot easier than normal running trainers. Also, shin splints take time to develop so better to stop now before it makes you stop training altogether. If you do carry on running in boots make sure you stretch the lower body thoroughly before and after your runs. This is especially important to prevent any injuries.

Good Luck, and lay off the running in boots for now, only do it when you have to, like before RT.

Mitch
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

I know you havent mentioned it, but weight training is also a dangerous area for someone of fifteen, and certainly lifting heavy weights is a definate no no.
Spot on, no need for heavy weights, or running in boots either, pointless at this age, will do more harm than good.

Do some circuit training to build up strenght, you can't go far wrong in that area, although I did over-do it on the reps and screwed my bicep muscle up :roll:
Rittefski

Post by Rittefski »

ramz56,

I'm in Leytonstone, your welcome to train with me any day of the week except Saturday and Wednesday when I do training with a former Royal and another potential. It would good to go running with some one who is faster than me :roll:. If your interested PM and we can sort something out.
The 6 Ps: Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

PRMC: 24th April - PASSED
batess01

Post by batess01 »

I dont think weights is a "DANGEROUS" thing to do at the age of 15. I have done weights for about 2 years, went from 40kg to 70+kg in 2 years, and can still run, jump, and do all the bodyweight stuff, i started weights when i was 15, and found it was A GREAT way to make me fitter, faster, stronger and more powerfull. I would, at your age, go as far to say i would RECCOMEND IT to you. Dont overdo it obviously, lift 3 times a week for an hour or so. Keep your running up and stay profficient with bodyweight exercises.

(Weights, can build a faster runner too guys :) by strengthening the muscles you use for running and making them capable of exerting more power at any given time.)