Share This Page:

Guess whos back early...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Oh no, if I enjoyed the observers I would stay with them untill I wanted to join the marines.
AACC and P-Coy?
I'm not worried to much about what I have to pass to be one.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

All Arms Commando Course and Pegasus Company. They are the hard tests at the end of Royal Marine training and Para training. I don't think you can view them as a side career before you joined the marines.
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

unlucky stinky, at least next time you know to go easy on the breakfast as well.

i still would have stayed though to see what was in store next time.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

I've fished this up, might be of some help with your 3 mile time stinky. I'm going to try it.

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/fh08.php
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Thanks lodgi.
I don't know what to do now. I want to get into the marines but untill then I have to do something. And the more I look into the Observers, the more it looks like they don't see any action at all. I want to be working behind enermy lines but I want to do the whole soldiering thing. I have to find a job I can do for the next 6 months, I guess it's going to have to be a normal job.
jezb

Post by jezb »

Stinky wrote:Thanks lodgi.
I don't know what to do now. I want to get into the marines but untill then I have to do something. And the more I look into the Observers, the more it looks like they don't see any action at all. I want to be working behind enermy lines but I want to do the whole soldiering thing. I have to find a job I can do for the next 6 months, I guess it's going to have to be a normal job.
It seems your best option is to get a job, any shitty job will do, and train your ass off in your spare time.

6 months is f all in the whole scheme of things.

Do you regret not staying on so you could have gone back in 3 months?
rt 10/09/2007
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Yes I do. Even if I did delay it anyway, I don't want to go there hoping for the best next time, I want to be actully ready. I have a little bit more insight to what they want now, If I had stayed there, I would have more but even though I didn't stay there, I am still going to be ready next time. If I don't get in in 6 months time, you know I'm a lazy bugger :wink:
Chrisbrum

Post by Chrisbrum »

I'd recommend getting a normal civvy job for now, just to get some cash in and get a bit more experience, but if you've got an RMR detachment in your vicinity it would be worth getting in touch with them and seeing if they're currently running a holding troop. They should let you join in if you are going for the regulars, and it'll be a great way of building and monitoring your fitness. Of course, you still have to work on it in your own time, but you'll get at least one tailor made, marines focussed training session a week, which you can then use as a basis to build on your own training. You'll also get a bit more of an insight to the life, ethos and people in the marines, which could benefit you in making the decision whether or not to try again, as well as giving you a taster of what life will be like once you're in.

If there isn't an RMR detachment nearby, the TA is also another option. Before I came to university I spent a year in the TA, and my fitness levels definitely increased dramatically. Another bonus you'll receive from this is that you'll get paid (which you won't in holding troop) and also learn about life in the military more in depth, especially with regard to going on exercise. During your training you'll get the chance to go out in the field for weekends, as well as doing marches with weight and spending a few days shooting on the range. Although the fitness requirements may not be as high as with the Corps, there is no doubt that you will benefit from the TA, as well as deciding if being out in the woods in the pissing rain and freezing cold is really something you can handle. You'll also be instructed in areas such as Battlefield First Aid and NBC drills, which could turn out to be valuable knowledge if you do eventually join the RM.

Hope these ideas help, as you seem to be a bit confused about what you want to do at the moment. I would really recommend against joining the regular Army with the intention of jumping ship and leaving as and when you feel like it, it will be frowned upon. The TA, however, is much easier to get out of, and is a great way of building up your fitness and experience.

Chris
RMR
Written Test - Passed
Eye Test - Passed
Interview - Passed
Medical - Awaiting date
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Thankyou. Now I know you normaly give great advice chris but does everybody else agree with chris? I have a TA unit near me so I might go through with this idea.
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Thats the attitude Stinky :D
Eagle Eye
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

sounds like a good idea but if you want to go for the marines in 6 months then how far along will you actually get in the TA? how long does it take to get through the processes etc? if you get paid then thats an even bigger bonus.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
Sully

Post by Sully »

I want to get into the marines but untill then I have to do something.

Try cracking a bit of phys and applying yourself.......... and stop dreaming. The rest (job, hobbies) is entirely up to you and is irrelevant.
Per Flank, Per Tank
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Sorry if this sounds abrupt or harsh stinky, BUT if you want to get into the Royal Marines (RT), you will do. The fitness required to pass PRMC is easily obtainable if you put your mind to it and dig out on your phys sessions. As for what to do in between? what does it matter? its 6 months....do anything that pays you enough money to live and then really, really get into your phys so you crack the PRMC with ease next time.

As for joining a T.A unit, or the Army or whatever first, there is no point if you want to join the RM, they aren't stepping stones to the RM either and there is certainly no requirement to do so. You can get your PRMC fitness by yourself like thousands of others to, IF thats what you really want to do.

Think hard about it stinky, there should be no doubts in your mind as to whether you can get fit or not for PRMC, you can if you want to. If not then think about something else, but i wouldnt suggest it as something else 'before' the Marines, not ruling it out completely in the future, but i'd suggest it as a different path.

Anyway, best of luck to you

dwarfy
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

It did come into my mind, what if the fitness the TA gave me was going to be easier then I would give my self. I'll just get a job and join a gym, I just thought TA might make it easier with motivation and all but if it's going to reduce my chances of getting in, then I wont do it.
chris_

Post by chris_ »

stinky,

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml

follow that to the end and you'll be fine. no need to spend money on a gym.
mapmyrun.com coupled with that routine is both free and effective.