Share This Page:

RMR

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Sounds like a plan letsrole, then you have everything covered, id definately go with the RMR at some point.

As for the norm yeah that sounds about right, phys plays a huge part on any exercise, from the beggining insertion speedmarch or yomp and to the end extraction phys, again march or load carry, not at the start of RT though, likely a booted run. Add to that the beastings (corrective training) during kit inpections when you've been pinged for something, general beasting for the troop farking up on something, and the 'planned' phys sessions in the field, yeah you,ll be doing a lot of phys, day or night.

And of course in between all this is when you,ll be learning how to conduct yourself in the field what with admin, kit, fieldcraft and of course learning the basic's of soldiering.So despite all the phys and lack of sleep and tiredness you have alot to take in at the same time, hence why a notebook is so vital, as you,ll need to go over things you have learnt.

Personally i think its just the process and proffesionalism of how you will learn and disipline yourself with the RMR that will stand you way above the OTC. I cant imagine you have dealt with much pressure so to speak with the OTC, where as with the RMR you will constantly on an exercise as its all go all of the time and you have to be switched on every second to takw it all in or 'stand by'.

I had hoped to go back to the RMR in March, but that now does not look likely, so more likely july (holding troop) and im thinking now i have nothing to lose by attempting the POC and A.I.B so will get my application in around this time next year.

best of luck

dwarfy
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Yeah pretty much everyone had their eyes fixed to the beatings the RMR were getting on that morning feild inspection. A few interesting ones I saw:

Dirty mess tins- crawling on belly with hands behind back holding said mess tins

Dirty mug or flask- star jumps or press ups

Not a full water bottle after being told to fill it- water being poured on head

Dirty boots- beasted up a hill

Dirty rifle- had to dig a hole deep enough to they could get in it, then fill it back in again

I think OTC is pretty relaxed actually, e.g. we dont really have noise or light disipline at night! I suppose you do? Or are you a loud red filtered lights? We also get about an hour after stand too just to eat brekki and back our bivvs away. How long would you get?

Not going recruit anymore then?

Will
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Letsrole,

Im not being funny but to be honest the OTC is an entirely different world to the RMR, they are not comparitable. The RMR are training lads who could theoretically be serving if Afghanistan or Iraq in 14-18 months time from the start of thier RT. So yes of course, harbour positions are extremely strict from the very beggining, any glimpse of a white light or noise and your going to have the whole troop crash moved to a new harbour position, most likely with a beasting in between or a trip to Peter's pool to stand in the oggin for half an hour so you learn not to do it again.

As for an hour after stand to to square your kit away, Farking hell, you'll be lucky to have an hour to yourself accumulated over a whole weekend with the RMR.

The kit inspections are as thouragh as you could possibly imagine and then a load more, admin in the field is vital and you will learn quickly or you will suffer heavily. A very small misdermeanor will lead to an even more extensive check of your kit,(every piece of kit), and your likely to be getting some fun phys to do whilst the rest of the troop is inspected, which is lovely before you then have a speedmarch back to CTC.

The discipline is extreme, it has to be. I have to say, as my mate was, i think you'll be fairly shocked at the difference, although you shouldnt be. The RMR are training men to serve alongside some of the best soldiers in the world, the OTC are not.

Personally if i were you i'd get yourself into the RMR and see for yourself, i think you'll find it was the best decision you could have made, but thats my opinion. You mentioned before that many of the Cadets at Sandhurst were OTC members, i very much doubt that will be the case on the YO batch, although you will find a fair few who were RMR during Uni. When i left RT for Uni my troop commander asked if i was thinking of coming back and trying for a Commision after Uni, and although my answer at the time was no, he said if i changed my mind then the RMR would be very much worth my while, to aid my chances.

As for me like i say im waiting now to re-join the RMR and i will most likey attempt to go down the Officer path with the Regs in about a years time. If that doesnt come off then i'll re-access my situation then, i may stay RMR or i may go Regs again as a recruit, but it all depends on opportunities and my position at the time. It may be that if things go well for me in the RMR that i might be in a position to go on FTRS who knows, but i have a way to go first so i'll just take it as it comes.

dwarfy
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Hello old boy, as I said- RMR in my 4th year is the plan! Good luck to you in your officer application too, hope it all works out for you.

So we are both agreed on the OTC being aweful then :lol:

Will
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Old boy??

Touchy subject, im 25 now and feel old. The only thing i would say about doing it in your final year is that you may find it hard to commit the time you need to. I had to leave the RMR to concentrate on my final year at Uni, not so much for the time you actually spend with them, but also because of the time you will need to spend personally building your fitness up in your own time. Having said that, i did have extra modules and subsequent work loads for Uni, due to a change of course. Just have a think about it though.

Best of luck,

dwarfy
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Your medals dont look a day older then 21! Well thats how old I thought you were.

I'm doing a construction management degree, and to be honest dont want to go into the constrution industry for many different reasons so I'm not looking to get a great score on my degree, just pass it! And think I can use my time more wisely with the RMR or something.