Share This Page:

body composition for the royal marines

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
mitch_boxing

body composition for the royal marines

Post by mitch_boxing »

Hi,

I was wondering what type of body composition would be essential to becoming a marine. Obviously, the info needs to come from people who have been there, done it. Do I need to be like a bodybuilder, no fat, very muscle bound. Do I need to be like Bruce Lee, Skinny but Ripped. Reason I ask is because my driving instructor had to pull out from royal marine training and it was because of his knees. He said about how when you run with weight, your knees suffer ect. This could of been down to the fact that he didnt prepare his body enough, maybe down to lack of training or lack of size ect.

Whats everyone think about this...

Cheers

Mitch
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

You definetly dont want a body builders body type, its too heavy to carry all that muscle around, and you dont want a bruce lee either, if your thinking of comparing body structures, mines a little like van dammes. Try to aim for that sort of structure, strong but not bulk, fit but not heavy.

All you need to know is that you can run in the time limit and do the rest of the PRMC tests, if you can do all of them then you will be able to do your RM training. Go for a an olmpic gymnast body. That is propbably what your going to be aiming for.
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

Obviously, the info needs to come from people who have been there, done it
I have not been there, but i do know people who have. And all i can say is that as long as you can perform the tasks required it doesnt matter any more than 1 shit.

You obviously dont want to be FAT but you by no means need to be a huge muscular machine.

I would advise that you use cardio to shave off the excess pounds and therefore build the fitness at the same time, whilst pumpin a little bit of iron but mainly using body resistance exercises (pull ups / press ups / sit ups / lunges etc) to build strength.

Its common sense really - just think of the job description - you need to strong enough to shift your own body weight plus kit over and around obstacles and fit enough to run like a beast!

In conclusion i dont really know what to tell you other than dont rock up to your PRMC as a big fat blob that cant run or do a press up!
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

In_Training is right, just keep yourself lean, you dont want weight, but you dont want to be underweight. You will self mould yourself through training anyhow if you follow a PRMC program.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

I think the general consensus on here is that it's what inside your head that counts most. I'm sure I've read posts by the old and bold saying they had skinny guys, big guys, tall guys and short guys.. All sorts basically!
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

Brian- wrote:I think the general consensus on here is that it's what inside your head that counts most. I'm sure I've read posts by the old and bold saying they had skinny guys, big guys, tall guys and short guys.. All sorts basically!
I agree with brian, im not the biggest guy! I weigh a little 175 and skinny beyond belief. haha
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
Artist

Post by Artist »

As long as you've got all the bits in the right places you should have no problems being a Bootneck.

You may have a problem if your names Jake and you have an extra leg mind! :D

As has been said it's whats in you bonce that counts.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Me myself being an amateur fighter im already reasonable muscular (van damme sort of structure) not bulky but not skinny. My upperbody is great, but im working on my running. The main point is, if you do the PRMC workout your body will naturally mould into its chosen shape, as long as you can do the tests and have it up in your head thats what its all about and i agree with everyone that has posted.
Hughser

Post by Hughser »

personally, im a fairly average height bulky bloke, huge shoulders and i tend to walk with "ape arms" also i have man boobs or pecks as many prefer to call them, i went to my local Marines AFCO today, and my build wasnt commented on, though he was impressed with my physical fitness, he didnt ask to touch my boobs.. which i was disappointed about.

the only thing i do find, having a bulky build is pressups and pullups are very difficult. situps and running on the otherhand are a piece of pyola.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

Hughser wrote:he didnt ask to touch my boobs.. which i was disappointed about.
dress sluttier next time!! :wink:
Aways look on the bright side of life.
dalo

Post by dalo »

To be honest when your on a double period on bottom field with kit on body composition goes out the window. Doesnt matter how your body is built im alot heavier than most but i can still clamber over the assualt course quicker than most lighter guys.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Alright dalo.

What week are you in now, hows training?
ben1

Post by ben1 »

my mate was skinny as a rake when he was doing his training but he passed out and also got 2 awards as well, commando medal and determination award i think they were, not 100% though, but his mate who also passed out is built like that ivan drago on rocky 4 so i shouldnt imagine you need to have any type of body structure i dont really think they'de turn around and say "no your too muscley to be a marine" or vice-versa i think if you want it enough you'll get it no matter what sort of body your in, as long as you can do everything they ask i think you should be alright, dont take my post too serious though i havent done it yet mate! also mitch_boxing what have you done so far with the marine selection? just wondering as i've seen a few of your posts and you also look well up for it and keen to do it just wondered if you'd started with your selection or anything or whether your just getting all the information you can for now so you can pass with flying colours?!
Ben
Never Quit-Quitting is for those who are not serious about achieveing their goals.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Phew thats ok then because im at muscly guy trapped in a fat mans body!
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Phew thats ok then because im at muscly guy trapped in a fat mans body!