Share This Page:

POC Diary by Deadhead, 2006

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
AdamMc

Post by AdamMc »

Well I have just returned from failing my POC. I just hit a point on the 3 mile speed march back to camp (3/4 of a mile before camp) where my knees and thighs were not going to go on any longer. I was at the front the whole way and half way through the 'Hare and Hounds' they started to sod off, so I came in number 5 on that bit. Seven lads passed (out of 18 ), they deseved to pass, all great lads who will wear a green lid with pride. My roomie tried so hard he has ended up with a stomach infection - he was confident and good verbally, I think he has a very good chance with AIB.

We had a few surprises. We were made to do the assualt course twice. Which was fun. Also you will be pleased to know they have changed the timings of the POC. Everything on Monday has been shifted forwards, so, GET THERE ON SUNDAY! We were the first course on the new timings.

Don't ask me what the timings were, I did not have time to look or rememeber - it was do or die.

Take food with you. You will not have a lot of time to get up to lunch between the bottom field and the lecturette. Get your own food and water (sports drink etc) down your face. I only had time for two scoops of tuna pasta - I ate it despite the fact I hate tuna.

Enjoy your lecturette. It is on you so it's not like you are going to forget anything. Do what I did if you wish and make it up on the spot. The Capt' quite liked mine as well.

The laundrette was closed so washing was fun. Towards the top end of TOBRUK accom there is a small wash room. The washer and drier on the right work, the ones on the left do not. There is a pack of Surf and some wash tablets in there. Use them at your pleasure, our POC bought them so they may as well get used. If you are using a drying room, especially to get Colours blankets dry (if you find out what this means then I know how you feel), turn on the fan heater and crack a small window open.

Do not place your hands in your pockets at any time. Keep your head up and a good posture at all times. Do not quit. The Staff and Officers will shout at you, because they want you to do your best, they are all great blokes - wait until your debrief and you will really see how great they are. Do not VW (Voluntary Withdrawal). Did I mention, DO NOT VW!!

Any questions then ask away.
"A Nation that draws too broad a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Anon
sd88

Post by sd88 »

Well not long until my POC (8th May) and to be honest i'm getting a little nervy. I just keep reading this diary over and over so i'll know what's coming!

I've been told hare and hounds is pretty much downhill, is that true?
POC: 8th May - Passed
AIB: 28th June - Passed
Final Selection: Failed!
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

All the nerves will disappear once you've got settled in your room and got some scran in you, well they did for me anyway, just try and get a good nights sleep and you'll be right. Good luck for that :wink:
Nick
AdamMc

Post by AdamMc »

Hare and Hounds in not downhill. Sorry. But, there are some serious downhills on the endurance course. Use these and attack them, its a good opportunity to make up time.
"A Nation that draws too broad a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Anon
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Thought I'd post on here as it will help people going on the POC.

What can I say. I big time bottled it on bottom field. I did feel like a bit of tit in the debrief when the officer was saying how confused he was that someone with my score on the first day could do so badly.

If any PO's wish to avoid such embarrasment when going on POC I would advise lots of nasty sprint sessions and intervals that make you want to cry as opposed to mildly intense long sessions.

I'd also advise doing these when you're not feeling too strong and haven't much chance to load up on the carbs all day, try getting up early having a little bowl of cerial and then going all out. There's no denying my training got me fit but training when you feel good just doesn't cut it for the POC you need to get really nasty with yourself in my opinion.

Also I'd advise doing chin ups slowly, with a hold at the top and just use your fingers on the bar as you can't get a grip with your thumb round the plank and it makes chins tricky whilst on the RMFA.

It is damn good fun there though, every time I think of some of the things Colours comes out with it makes me laugh, I'll be definatley going back there on a PRMC.

For the record my scores were:

bleep test - level 12
press ups - 58
sit ups - 73
chin ups - 7

RMFA score of 267. :roll:
sd88

Post by sd88 »

Just got back from the same POC myself, it was a bit of a shame about bottom field matt, did you come off the monkey bars?

RMFA scores as follows:

Bleep Test: 13.0
Press Ups: 53
Sit Ups: 63
Pull Ups: 9
Score: 266

I ended up passing the course with 10 others but didnt complete the endurance course. I had about 1k to go and just started dropping back and marching out of time. I wasn't kicking myself when i was in the minibus since i simply couldn't have given any more, but i was gutted that i thought i may have failed. We were told that the endurance course had extra beastings in to try to get some to drop out so it was harder than a lot of the other POC endurance courses.

Still, i did the discussion exercise and the BST which was definitely the most enjoyable phys.

We started with 19, 5 left after the RMFA and 2 after bottom field. 3 didn't complete the endurance course (including me) but only 1 failed because of it. So in total 11 passed.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

That was me who fell in the water, twice. :D

Who was it who failed?

Thats a rubbish RMFA score there Sd88. :P

Oh yeah, well done by the way.
AdamMc

Post by AdamMc »

Well done to the both of you! Those are really good RMFA scores.

Just out of interest - Are your knees still falling apart? I can't keep skin on my right knee and my left knee just swells up when I sprint. I can still run but keeping off the sprinting for a while. :cry:

Matt, you got seven chin-ups and couldn't do the monkey bars??? Sounds like you need more time on a Lateral Row machine. 15 reps. 2 sets per session. It will work your back and fingers. Hold the bar like you have to hold the monkey bars, thumbs tucked under. Also, get yourself back there on a POC. You sound like a decent chap who is in good shape. This is the kick up the arse you need. Take the opportunity, get back and be part of the 40% of Officers who did their POC twice!
sd88

Post by sd88 »

It was the ginger guy that failed from the people left on the last day, not too sure why but probably just low scores overall, he only got 183 on the RMFA and i heard that he lied about doing 2 pull ups when in fact he got none. (not too sure about that so dont quote me on it!)

Thanks adam, and yes i have been pretty nackered for the past couple of days but still got a cheeky bit of football in. About my knees though, theyve been pretty raw, not least because of the huge stone/rock they put in one of the smarties tube style tunnels. I had to laugh when i got to that point, even with my cramp. :wink:

Matt, in comparison to your RMFA then yes, mine was pitiful. I tried to push out the extra rep on each exercise but just couldnt do enough obviously!
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

AdamMc, I'll certainly be heading back to CTCRM. Although my confidence has taken a bit of knock, I now have a burning desire to succeed and know what to expect and precisely what needs to be done about it. Although I will be heading down again it will be for PRMC rather then POC.

sd88, pitiful is the word that springs to mind, that one mark does seperate the men from the boys, don't worry though you might be a jedi one day. :P

Seriously though, I hope you make it and when's your AIB? make sure you reveal the details on MFAT as I shall be waiting with baited breath.
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

sd88 I'd say a whole other level is much harder than bashing out 10 more situps :wink:

Still horses for courses and all that,

Shouldn't really comment until I've done it...Roll on June 19th!

p.s. Well done to both you lads that passed POC :D
sd88

Post by sd88 »

Cheers mate, i'll sure you'll do great.

I hope you doing some hill sprints though! They definitely would have done me some good
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

I do a couple in each run but i've yet to grow a set and do a full session :lol:

I'm trying to make a conscious effort to do more and more runs incorporating hill sprints. I find weighted squats in the gym help my hill work as well and they're not nearly as un-enjoyable as hill sprints :-?
Daka

Post by Daka »

Heyup guys, i didnt think my question worth startin another thread so i thought id ask it here.

Im at uni at the moment, just coming into my final year. Im interested in joining the Marines when I finish.

I was just interested; Is their one batch of officer training taken a year? When do they usually start?

I know its kind of jumping the gun, but because of the way my course is run, I probably wont be able to get my application in til Nov 2007, am i looking at another whole year before I could (potentially) commence training?

Also, I am reasonably fit, I wouldnt say POC fit at the moment. But as I understand, there may be two years or so between now and when I could take my POC. What kind of levels of fitness would you advice to try and maintain over such a long period of time?

Would you advice getting to the level of fitness suggested in the last week of the "Fitness schedule" and keeping it at that? Or should i say, aim to keep a reasonable standard of fitness and pushing it up a notch or two in the few months before a POC.

Thanks in advance
tom_06

Post by tom_06 »

the batch is only once a year starting in september.
in terms of fitness you have got ages to get extremely fit, you should just keep on building your fitness by making sure you can run 6-7miles in 7 minute miles. if you cant do taht at the moment,start with a distance you can do in 7 minute miles and build up gradually.
if i was you i would say just get as fit as possible in two years dont wait until a few months before to sart going for it. 2 years also means you will get ample time to rest yourself, take 2 days off a week so you dont overdo it and every few months take off a few days in a row otherwise you'll burn out.
obviously this is all just my opinion, best bet is to get down your AFCO and ask them.
good luck
Recruit Training: 13th November