Share This Page:

Cardio Substitution: Cycling vs. Running

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Doc

Post by Doc »

this is a turbo trainer with laptop link.

30 mins on a turbo done right is harder than 30 mins on the road.

Trust me I lived on one every morning for 2 years when I was competing.

Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Well i use big normal flat pedals and have also recently fitted a single speed kit to my bike. I usually use my bike for bsx and dirt jumping. It seems a lot of people on these forums are into their bicycles i think we should get a MFAT ride organised!! For now ill post a piccy of bike for you to drool over. :lol:

Nick
Doc

Post by Doc »

Sarastro wrote:Sorry mate, wasn't correcting the name, was just saying what I know them as :D

Understand what you mean about turning circles now, though it's unnecessary on my bike - I find road bikes are a lot smoother anyway, and since there's no extra length on the chain (single speed) you get a lot more control over it naturally. Have to be really speeding along to even come close to having any freewheel in one pedal rotation.
Turning circles as Greg says is also the correct way to cycle on the road, it develops more muscles than standard jumping on the pedals technique.
It also helps to prevent chain droop etc. When a road or MTB is set up right for each user, weight is even through pedals, seat and bars. Turning circles, with knees rubbing the cross bar on each rotation is the proper way to cycle. If your really ninja try doing 10 minutes standing 10 minutes sitting whatever the terrain!

On a turbo my alternate daily phys sesh was 10 mins standing/10 mins sitting/5 mins one legged each leg, follwed by cooldown. Give it a week and see your legs go all Hulk!

Rest of the time is fartlek or endurance with a 40-60 miler on sunday without your speedo going below 16mph av, cadence below 80 etc etc

I was a sponsored rider and rode a Trek 5900 and a Trek fuel after the team switched from Scott. Must say that the Scott GZero was a better MTB than the Trek.
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

How much do you ride currently Doc? I am planning on getting a new road bike, used to only ride road on the weekends though, preferred going down the local jump track on an eve :) Might wait till after RT to get a road bike though.

I did manage to get sponsored for 1 year when i rode in 20" trials competitions, but this was only from a bike shop in the city. All i got from them was a new set of brakes, but they also fixed my bike up perfect before and during comps.
Nick
Doc

Post by Doc »

I havent ridden seriously in over 3 years, sold my mountain bike and original trek road bike.
Now have a Trek 5200 that gathers dust in my bedroom on the trainer pictured above. I do 2-3 turbo sessions a week (started recently) but I cant be arsed if truth be known :lol:
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Turning circles as Greg says is also the correct way to cycle on the road, it develops more muscles than standard jumping on the pedals technique.
It also helps to prevent chain droop etc.When a road or MTB is set up right for each user, weight is even through pedals, seat and bars.
/shrug, fair dos but still pretty sure it's not as important on my road bike as on a mountain bike. It's already tuned as such, and you can see below why chain droop isn't a problem, but I'll see what difference it makes when I get some cleats put on. As for turbo training, I usually figure 50 miles a day around London is enough biking :wink:

Nick, you could do worse than to get my Langsterif you are looking for a short-term road bike. It's fast as a hare, very simple, reliable, and seriously good fun to dodge traffic on. It also weighs less than an SA80, so is great if you want to alternately run with it. Not too expensive (mine came all in at £400). Single-speed also makes a huge difference to how it feels on the road, you feel vastly more connected to the bike, road, rotation and more in control of your speed than on a mountain bike.

As for components, I just replaced/added the standard stuff (lights, Armadillo tyres etc), but if you buy one, tell your bike shop to ask Specialized for a 110mm spindle for the bottom bracket. The factory ones have an irritating habit of clicking (doesn't do much damage, but will piss you off), and the spec isn't actually the (rare) 103mm; Specialized are aware of the problem and will do it for free if you ask. I've also heard that people change the factory wheels immediately, but I haven't had problems with mine, and they're used 10 hours a day over some bad roads, so make of that what you will.

It's purty too...

Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Looks nice, i had a good read of the spec on the specialized site, the single speed is good.

I used to race bmx and ride 20" trials so have never had much affection with gears. Now ive just slapped on a single speed kit on my MTB it rides like an absolute dream. If you want a run down of parts give me a shout. Bike messenger sounds like a job i would love apart from the lungs full of traffic fumes of course :wink:
Nick
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

How utterly amazing is that Doc! That is really amazing. I want one! You could even use the SVideo output from your graphics card and plug it into a 50" TV.
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

nickosx wrote:Well i use big normal flat pedals and have also recently fitted a single speed kit to my bike. I usually use my bike for bsx and dirt jumping. It seems a lot of people on these forums are into their bicycles i think we should get a MFAT ride organised!! For now ill post a piccy of bike for you to drool over. :lol:
How old is that frame??! Looks sweet! I haven't seen anything Onza for years!

I ride a 14" Rocket FAB Stage 1, same forks - DJ3's - but triple chainrings for cross country really although with the saddle down it's awesome. It's an awesome little BSX/ dirt jump frame.

Also ride a Club Roost XS Freeride with Junior T's, Hope Big Un's etc. It's set up for downhill with a single chainring but can't resist taking it on the long rides cos it's so much fun to ride.

I raced downhill and dual slalom for two years as a junior - can't get away from my roots!
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Doc wrote:I was a sponsored rider and rode a Trek 5900 and a Trek fuel after the team switched from Scott. Must say that the Scott GZero was a better MTB than the Trek.
Doc, when was this and which Team? Might have seen you about...

Regards,
Greg.
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

How old is that frame??! Looks sweet! I haven't seen anything Onza for years!

2004 model, they dont make them with seat tubes any more lol. I originally had the frame built up as a street trials bike. I started of with a 20" onza then moved up to 26" with age and just stuck with onza.

I had a 24 seven frame for dirt jumping for a while but found this a tad to large to whip around the way i liked. So i tried jumping on the onza and because its so small you can really throw it about in the air plus it has 4-bolt mounts on the frame for a magura.
Nick
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hi Greg

2001, 02 and first part of 03. I raced for Biped in Brecon. We wore black kit with yellow trim. Started out on scott G zero strikes and their road bikes for training when the foot and mouth kicked in. Then moved to Trek. Reason was we set up the Beacons Beast 100km enduro, and Trek threw some money, bikes and kit at us that ran it. I dont mean ran around it carrying a bike, I mean the planning etc :lol: took us months to fix a route for that and we rode the route every weekend in all weathers until we fixed it, it still chages every year now.

Rode all the Schwinn 100's at Builth (later on became Kona sponsored and another was added up at Rhaydar, I crashed on that one and broke my collar bone, rode another 5k and finally puked and gave up) The one around Cheltenham I forget its name. A few down the Neath Valley, a few in Plymouth. Road wise it was Time Trials around south Wales, Abergavenny, Neath, Brecon etc. with hill climbs in the Beacons on road and we did an annual Brecon to St Davids and back trip for "fun".

We also used to guide up in the beacons, such as travellers rest, Gap, etc etc

Miss it but now the team isnt run anymore the effort just isnt in me if Im honest.

I can just see my Nike shoes under the bed giving me the finger as they aint been used in over a year :lol: We were right lance wannabes with giro helmets, oakly MFrames, nike shoes and socks, usps training kit :lol: sad c*nts that we were.

Fun though and I was fit as fark. :cry:
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Doc, sounds like you had good times. Get back in the those Nike's and see what you've been missing! :D

Greg.
hc00

Post by hc00 »

Just 1 question.

Why do people here like single gears?

As multiple gears have advantages over single gears (E.g. Higher Speed/Effort Ratioo and easier uphill.) but I cant see any advantages to single gears...
Wo zhu ni jian kang.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

I was curious about that one too, surely the dis-advantages of a single gear bike out weigh the advantages?
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]