Share This Page:

Failed PRMC

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
borisimo

Failed PRMC

Post by borisimo »

:(

Scores were:
Press ups - 33
Sit ups - 70
Pull Ups - 6
Burpees - 29

300m sprint - 52 seconds
2nd half of 3 miler - 10.03 (someone got 8mins!)
Level 10 on bleep test

overall not too unhappy with how i did, beat all my previous bests and i know i couldve done better on the bleep test and swimming if my hamstring wasnt falling apart!

higlight of the weekend was going for the 3 miler at about 5.30am and then geting sprayed down with a hose after that plus a 1 hour phys session.

the food was most excellent though....i get re assessed in september so i should be able to improve those considerably in that time. in hte mean time back to phys a go go in holding troop.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Unlucky Borisimo, what did you actaully fail on then, bleep test? How did you find the assualt course or did you get withdrawn?
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

yeah the bleep test was the first reason, secondly they want at least 45 press ups really and 10 pull ups.

only been training for a couple of months so im not too disheartened, and id rather pass with better scores next time and find training less of a struggle.

obstacle course we didnt do (RMR) but we did a variety of confidence based tests using ropes and gym equipment.
dalo

Post by dalo »

Your PRMC sounds like a weird one mate, running the second half by yourself, burpees, looking for 45 press ups and 10 pull ups?
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Good luck for next time...

10 pullups? :o i was under the impression they want at least 3, i can only do 3
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Sounds like bad luck mate, seems to me that a lot of folks last year got through with lower scores than you. But then, it's at the discretion of the examiners. Could be that they are harsher at the start of the year, quota stuff and all?

Anyway, you get a second chance, so whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger etc, and those scores, at least by what everyone else on this forum has been posting, are perfectly respectable in the most part! Chin up :D
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

yeah it sounds a bit off, and the run at 5:30?
Why didnt it follow the format?
hard luck though.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

I think he means PRC for RMR, where the three mile run is done on the last day, early in the morning. Futher, it is not done at Lympstone but at a respective RMR detachement (I'm sure it's equally as hard though).

Here's a quick link too the RMR selection page:

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2928.html
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

yeah as letsrole said i was doing it for RMR, same tests etc but slightly different format. london did it differently to the websites version which i think worked in our favour really

they want the higher scores (and i found the pull ups the hardest) because they dont have time to work with you on fitness you have to do it in your own time as they only have 1 evening a week with you so you need to be very fit before you start training.

got there on friday evening and signed all the documents and stuff didnt get finished until about 2330, saturday we did all the gym tests etc. up super early for breakfast at 0630 then into a lecture, then we cracked on with the RMFA (gym test 1 with the press ups and sprints etc) after a 'warm up' :lol: then we did some challenges like memory games and putting a tent up in a team of 6. after that was lunch. then we kicked into gym test 2 and the bleep test (had to do 20 press ups before i started mine for not standing to attention at one point). after that we had another hard gym session comprised of circuits,weights, rope work and team log style races. had a couple more lectures then dinner and bed after that. sleeping on a gym floor doesnt really mean you get much sleep though, i think i got about 6 hours sleep in total over the weekend.

sunday we got woken at 0500ish and were out the door in darkness to do the 3 miler in southwark park. the first 1.5 mile is run as a squad and then the second lap is your best effort time i think you needed to get sub 10.45 really minimum, bearing in mind we had to run to the park we did it in as well which was about half a mile at least from the unit. after the run we did circuits and sprint work, crawling (many grazes and cuts) for an hour or so in the park straight after then ran back to base where we were lined up and hosed down which im sure will be nice in the summer! got some scran (we all went for the cooked breakfast on both occasions and noone brought it up, just go easy on the sausages :wink: afterwards we went for a swim to the local pool for the basic swimming test - its the warm up that makes it hard as 50m on its own isnt too difficult, then you had to get a brick from the bottom then tread water for 2 mins. i had to give up before i got the brick because my leg just completely cramped up and i was in danger of drowning hehe.

cleaned up the unit, got our results, those that failed were interviewed by a senior commissioned officer and we were told where we went wrong and when to come back again.

we had a guy that had done PRMC at lympstone a couple of years ago and he said it was almost exactly the same, i know id liked to have tried the obstacle course though!

i am gutted because i have been thinking about going for the regulars where im guessing my scores bar injury would probably have been enough to get through but uni needs to take priority for the moment and with training etc i cant see why i wont pass in 6months.

this forum has been a treasure trove of info and definately made it all a bit 'easier' mentally so cheers to all who have helped me, ill be sticking around.
rc

Post by rc »

unlucky mate, does seem a bit harsh with them scores.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Yeah sounds pretty hard. If I fail POC (although I’m trying to stay focussed on success!) I want to go for RMR selection, what training were you doing prior too going down? Do you think you were doing enough? If you could go back what type of training would you do and/or change?
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

definately more upper body strength, thats one of their main requirements, if i had got to 45 press ups, 10 pull ups then i would have got in essentially. i had only been training hard for the last 4 weeks or so and a few weeks before that so i wish id had more time too but i have a whole 6 months now so no excuse for next time :)

our PTI told us to do low mileage runs like 1.5-3 mile runs and to focus on circuits with the exercises we were gonna be tested on so press ups sit ups pull ups and burpees with other stuf like squats etc mixed in. looking back it wouldnt have done me any harm to have got down the gym and been doing some strength training but i just didnt get round to it but you live and learn. the circuits i was doing did give me noticeable improvement in terms of performance and muscle mass visually so id recommend it.

what RMR unit would you go for?
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Well if I failed POC it would depend on which Uni I went too, most probably Northumbria because it has a RMR unit just around the corner! Or maybe Oxford so Hently detachement, part of London RMR. Do you think it's really essential to practice burpies? I can do them quite easily and dont really find them a problem but havent done them in a while..
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

yeah its worth buildin em into your circuit as they are much harder to do when you have been beasted for an hour before hand :cry: they hurt
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Ah well mate just take stock of whats required and train harder.

There were a couple of lads on my PRMC who were second timers, and they passed.