Share This Page:

15 and in training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
15-RMC

15 and in training

Post by 15-RMC »

Hi all
I am 15, and my only goal in life is to be a Royal Marines Commando.

I currently do a training program, but i am not sure wheather it is too small or am i overdoing it, I hope to take the PRMC at 17/18.

This is my current training program

Monday
Morning
15X3 press upps
20X3 sit upps
20 mins of weights (working on uppwer body, bicep curls, hammer curls, lateral rises and the bent over row)
Afternoon
3 mile run on hilly terain

Tuesday
Same morning routine
Afternoon
3 mile run on hilly terain

Wednesday
Morning
Rest
Afternoon
30 mins swim at near flat out pace( keep getting slowed down by old people!)

Thursday
Morning
Same morning routine
Afternoon
Rugby training

Friday
Morning
Same routine

Sat
Rest day

Sun
Rugby match, then rest.

Would you say this is too litle for my age?
And i do stick to this program, I dont miss anything!

Any help would be great

Thankyou
Find out about the Royal Marines Commandos 17th October 2001
Begin training- December 2005
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
damon_dixon

Post by damon_dixon »

Alrite mate, some of my pals are Marines, and when they work out the concentrate a little more on swimming, so if i was you i would try and incorporate that into my programme. Also when you go to prmc then you are required to do over hand pull ups, i personally think theyre murder, so you should try and get some practice at them, because you do get assessed on them. But apart from that your training programme sounds fine, just be careful that you dont plateau, meaning keep changing either; Frequency, Itensity, Time (FIT). Hope this helps.
damon_dixon

Post by damon_dixon »

Alrite mate, some of my pals are Marines, and when they work out the concentrate a little more on swimming, so if i was you i would try and incorporate that into my programme. Also when you go to prmc then you are required to do over hand pull ups, i personally think theyre murder, so you should try and get some practice at them, because you do get assessed on them. But apart from that your training programme sounds fine, just be careful that you dont plateau, meaning keep changing either; Frequency, Itensity, Time (FIT). Hope this helps.
15-RMC

Post by 15-RMC »

Thanks,
are you saying i should try to swim more than 1 time a week?
this is no problem!

Do you think i am running enough!?
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
Artist

Post by Artist »

15-RMC

Go careful. Do to much at your age and your going to find yourself suffering from injuries which will haunt you for life. Your body is still growing and will not take to kindly to you doing to much to early.
DWW

Post by DWW »

Artist wrote:15-RMC

Go careful. Do to much at your age and your going to find yourself suffering from injuries which will haunt you for life. Your body is still growing and will not take to kindly to you doing to much to early.
Heed these words of advice carefully 15-RMC.

I'm a prime example of how things can go awry without proper guidance, you have the opportunity to learn from guys who have been there and got the full set of t-shirts. Please listen to this advice.

Mother hen act over,

Dave
15-RMC

Post by 15-RMC »

Thank you very much!

I will take great notice of this!!!
I Will concentrate on swimming alot more as this does not put any pressure on knees and shins ankles and heels. Thank you very much for the advice, and I think it is possibly the most important piece of advice.

Any more help would be most appreciated!
Cheerz
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
dalo

Post by dalo »

Dont eat yellow snow.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Spence

Post by Spence »

As far as the weight training is concerned, what you are doing is only going to be of limited use to you, especially as far as rugby and prep for the marines is concerned.
To make full use of your time spent i would suggest spending it working with a lighter weight and more reps per set (the weight should be heavy enough so that your form is starting to suffer between 15 and 20 reps). Your routine should be based around the big four (bench press, bent over row, squat, and deadlift) this will enable a whole body workout, hitting large groups of muscles rather than isolating individual ones (such as hammer curls or lateral raises do).
If you do your bench press on a swiss ball, and your bent over rows on one leg, then even more muscles will be incorperated, making you even stronger in the long run.
Words of caution though, make sure your form and technique are perfect, if they are not it will cause you injury and you will also be kidding yourself on what you can achieve. Also ensure adequate rest, never train if you are suffering from DOMS (deleyd onset of muscle soreness), it will cause more harm than good. As I am sure you are aware, make sure that ontop of all of that, you are staying properly fuelled and hydrated.
As Artist has said, go steady, you are still young.

Cheers
15-RMC

Post by 15-RMC »

problem is i only have dumbbels. Local gym is a rip off.
How do you suggest i do the bent over rows properly? ( i now ,i am a noob). When i do my routine i try not to stop like in between changing sets, is this a good thing or should i rest then move on?

Thanks
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
Spence

Post by Spence »

Dumbbells are all you need my friend! In fact they will end up being more beneficial for you because of the added instability, this means that more muscles will be called upon to stabilize the weight.
If you don't rest between sets, you will cause unnecessary fatigue in your muscles. However if you train a different bodypart immidatly after the first set, (known as super-setting) this can be beneficial although you may want to avoid this for the first couple of weeks; remember don't run before you can walk! You would be better suited to resting for 30-60 seconds between sets.

As far as the proper technique for the bent over row is concerned
ImageImage

Put your feet close together and grab two dumbbells. Bend forward as far as you can go, so your torso is close to parallel to the floor. Bend your knees slightly and keep your head up and back arched inwards. Hold dumbbells at arm's length straight down. Pull dumbbells straight up to your sides keeping your elbows out. Concentrate on squeezing with your middle back. Return slowly to starting position. You can also do this with a barbell or with an underhand grip.

It is important that you concentrate on squeezing your shoulder blades together rather than contracting your biceps to complete this movement, if you can feel the strain in your arms before your back, then the weight is probably too heavy.

However if your ultimate goal is military service, I wouldn't get too hung up on using resistance training, your body is one of the most valuble and usefull peices of equipment to those that know how to use it. If the RM wanted you to bench your bodyweight on the PRMC then they would tell you to use weights in the training programme they give out to everyone who shows an interest in applying.

Hope that helps
Artist

Post by Artist »

15-RMC

One important thing to remember is that on completion of the Commando Course the average height of a new just out of the box Bootneck is 5' 10/11" and his weight will be around 11 to 12 stone.

So don't spend to much time on weights. Concentrate more on your running and swimming. Both exercises use different muscle groups. Also (though I hate to say it!) work out in a gym. Pressups, Pullups that sort of thing. Also try some grid sprinting. Very good for building up your Stamina. But rest between each evolution. In fact why not approach your PE teacher for advice.

If you can, see if any of your mates would be interested in joining you when you work out. Working out on your own can be very boring indeed. It's much nicer to have a fellow sufferer with you as you can still do the running/swimming/gym work but have a conversation as well as pitting youselfs against each other.

Whatever you do though don't be tempted to run carrying weight. At your age it is a surefire way of really injuring yourself. Once you are at CTCRM the training teams will prepare you for that particular torture technique. :D
15-RMC

Post by 15-RMC »

Thank you very much.
I prefer to train on my own just thinking of passing out with my green beret!! But i like to thrash me dad a few times on running, swimming, press ups, sit ups.
I do take part in hill walking, hiking (yomping!) over my local moore but i am careful not to stress myself. (Just wondering, what type of rucksack (Bergen) do the Royal Marines use, just for woodland training type, and where they could be brought would be a great help :wink: )

Also If someone could explain "grid sprinting" that would also be a great helpas it would add to my program!

Thank you very much
All help is verf much appreciated :wink:
Thanks!!!
( this place is the best forums on he net is you ask me by far!!)
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

grid sprinting - an officer reffered to the 5x60m sprints as this on PRMC

so sprintin a length of 50m,then back to where you started, 3 times.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

15-RMC: Good to see a keener like you on the site who knows what he wants in life.

Half of them on here are all, "shall I be an officer or a marine". "Shall I join the SAS or the SBS?" So your post is refreshing to read.

Artist gives wise councel here. If you do too much while your body is growing, you can really do yourself a mischief that will haunt you in later life. A white fibrous tissue injury especially! Also, whatever you do, stay of the heavy weights. At your age, that can be disasterous! Sure, you'll get big muscles, but what do you think all that "deformity" and stress is doing to the bones trying to grow beneath them? You're way better off doing power-to-weight-ratio type work: Push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, etc.

You shouldn't be pushing yourself now. If you're not taking c@#t you're 17 or 18, you have lots of time. Just maintain a solid level of fitness that incorporates some variety to avoid boredome/maintain motivation and that will stand you in good stead for when you really start to get into it down the road.

Aslo, for goodness' sake be sensible on the groceries. Stay off the rotten Ronnies' and such like. It's bloody poison and of no nutritional value. Same goes for refined sugar (there's 15 tsps of refined sugar in a can of pop and don't drink diet pop because the key ingredient in Apsertame and its clones turns to formaldahyde (embalming fluid) at body temperature and has been linked to the huge U.S. increase of MS symptoms in patients!) Get lots of good quality water down you, plus eat plently of fresh chicken, fish, lean beef, tons of green vegies, and a moderate amount of taters and pasta.

Finally: Get plenty of quality sleep. Funny thing about old sayings is they are generally based on truth. Ever heard, "an hour before midnight is worth two after?" It's true. Get your eight hours or more that your body deserves. It will thank you for it and respond well to your training regimen in return.

Good luck!