Share This Page:

Benjo goes to England

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
KiwiBen

Benjo goes to England

Post by KiwiBen »

Greetings people,

In four days I will be boarding a flight for England to attempt the physical side of RM recruitment. It will be my second time to UK and I'm pretty darn nervous.

The idea of joining the Marines for me goes back to when I was young and impressionable, I met a guy from 29Cdo RA who gave me an hour of his time and told me his life story. He told me about the different Commando units and the Marines. The desire to be a Marine has burned away quietly since then.

Recently I was tasked to go over to England to take my 82 year old grandfather to visit, I decided to set the ball in motion and start things with the London AFCO. I completed the Recruit Test (English/Maths/Mechanicle Comprehension/Reasoning) with a good score, but I let myself down badly at the interview, which I managed to scrape past however.

I wasn't fit enough to even contemplate the PJFT test, let alone PRMC as I had busted an ankle a month before, so that is what I am hoping to pass this time around.
I've greatly increased my fitness and upper body strength, although I consider myself a long way off being able to breeze it.

I shant be online much in the next few weeks but I'd like to give a large thank you to all the people on this site who have given advice and encoragment to the young hopefulls.
In particular Artist, Doc, Sticky Blue, Wholley, Sneaky Beaky, Sully etc. Your input really makes a difference for us younger chaps, THANK YOU!

Not forgetting Aunty Jayne either, will be up your way around the 30th Oct :D and wishing you a happy 50th :wink:

Cheers aye, Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Good on you benjo mate, good luck and hopefully speak to you soon, gonna be a good'un. Congrats on working so hard and finally seeing where its taking you and wait a bit longer and see what the final result after PRMC, when u been giving your joining date. farking quality!!
Good luck mate.

Dan
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Doc

Post by Doc »

Good luck Benjo, watch yourself at No.6 :lol:
dalo

Post by dalo »

See you on the 25th kiwi :D
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Best of luck mate! Hope all goes well.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Good luck mucker - you've got a spot on attitude so you're more than halfway there :wink: The rest will take care of its self and the Corps will get what it needs out of you.
Per Flank, Per Tank
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Sully whats your position are you a RM or are you training or getting fit? just noticed your AFCO is mine.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Onyer's Benjo.
They do have confuzers at CTC.
Keep in touch bud.

Wholley.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Best you bring some dosh with you Ben. Cos Oie likes me Hydes Black. Arr!

See you when your up in Cheshire Mate.

Artist
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

Cheers everyone 8) I have arrived safe and sound.

I'm enjoying the weather so far, very kind on me as i come from the tropics you know.

Well just to bring you all up to speed I have done my PJFT and passed, I am definately on the 25th PRMC.

My time was 10:05, 40 secs clear but still slower than I'd like. I detest treadmills with a passion, what a crap invention :evil: kept having balance troubles and the like, had I been on the hard I'd have done sub 10 I'm sure but I passed and I'm bloody proud I passed!
Awaiting securety screening to come back, photos to be done etc.

The perks of being from overseas is my AFCO really bend over backwoods to make things happen. I can't really praise them enough, they've been simply outstanding.

Anyway, look forward to meeting some of you soon, I'll keep you up to date;)

Regards,
Benjo
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

well done mate, 10.05 isnt a bad time, what speed did u run it on?
but hey at least your passed and now your onto the next stage...PRMC 25th OCT?? wow thats soon.

Congrats again.

Danno
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

KiwiBen wrote:. I detest treadmills with a passion, what a crap invention :evil: kept having balance troubles and the like,
Same here mate!
How much of a gap between PJFT and PRMC mate, is it really 14 days!? Reason being I want to get down there before Xmas but it's going to be a good three weeks before I can get a decent PJFT time. I've been under the impression that it takes at least 6 weeks.
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

GGHT it normally does take a few weeks, but it was provisionally booked by AFCO while I was still in NZ, as long as I passed the PJFT I was on that particular course. Had my briefing and all today for PRMC.

All the best mate aye, the PJFT is alright just get some practice first on a treadmill.

The speed was set to 15 km/h although I was down at 14 for a bit then up to 16 for the finish, fully knackered me because I just wasn't used to it and used more energy than normal. Was damn all dizzy after because I stopped too quick.

I recomend just set it up fast and go for broke :lol: you shouldn't die from it :o

Benjo
Jitts

Post by Jitts »

Well done for passing your PJFT, Seems like your passion to get into training and get stuck in is like mine. I'm also on the PRMC for the 25th so I'll probably bump into you & Dalo.

Good luck I hope everyone’s preparation pays off.