Share This Page:

RM training TV shows.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Worthers Original

RM training TV shows.

Post by Worthers Original »

I know that there's been at least one, back in the early 90's, and I'm almost certain there was another about 4/5 years ago but are either available anywhere to buy? Anyone know what there were called? There's a book which accompanied the 90's one "Commando: winning the Green beret."

I've been watching the Commando Test footage on the Fighting Fit CD and they may have taken it from the 90s TV series.
Scottish_Kiwi

Post by Scottish_Kiwi »

There was one being repeated for a while on Discovery, it was called "Royal Marine Commandos: the Green Berets" i think, it might come round on the schedule again soon. It was filmed in 2001/2 i believe.

K
Worthers Original

There was also one about the Mountain Cadre a fair while ago.

I don't have Sky or cable so can't get Discovery.

:cry:
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

The "Commando" program to which you refer covered the All Arms Commando Course and little else. Whilst not to bad in content it did not cover recruit training at all. There was another program about 3 years ago that when aired concentrated on why recruits dont complete training and it was really bad. The editing was discraseful. Showed the Corps in a really bad light.

Historically the media has always shafted the Corps because we don't have the "Old School Tie" connections that the Army enjoys. When they come down to Devon they think they are dealing with a bunch of farmers.

I have yet to see a really good program about the Corps or recruit training. Maybe if they went to a Unit instead of coming to CTC they might show what the Corps is realy all about. 30 weeks of training gets you ready for being a Royal Marine - It ain't the whole story
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Scottish_Kiwi

Post by Scottish_Kiwi »

THe show i am referring to showed the corps in a very good light i think. It was split between showing one troop(819 i believe) going right through from their first day in foundation till their kings squad parade, covering some of the major milestones through the 30 weeks. The other part of the program was following 40 Commando at a time when they were doing ex Saif Sareea and also the first Afghanistan deployments. This program was split into 6 30min shows.

I saw another show on the history channel a few months ago examining the history and content of the the current Snipers course, which was very interesting but did not go into that much detail about the course. Some fo this program also examined Soviet snipers during WW2 which was interesting. This program was 1 hour long.

The Mountain Leaders program you describing was originally a BBC production i believe but i have seen it twice repeated on Discovery in slightly different Edits. This show is very interesting showing the ML2s course in some but of course not all detail and following it from the start right through to the end. This program was 1 hour long

All worth watching, best idea is to do a search of the schedules using the Discovery channel website or radio times and just hope to get lucky. If you don't have Cable or Sky your pretty f*%$ed though.

Hopes this can be of help

K
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Whist taking nothing from the content of the program, the best bit of The Mountain Leaders program was the drumming on the programs introduction. Best bit of drumming I've ever heard.

Oh, did I mention that it was me? :wink:
Worthers Original

Blimey! A celebrity.

:D 8)
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Now hows this for timing.....

Spoke to some Equity / Thesbian* type person this afternoon that was in the camp and he was saying that Sky TV is doing a Bootneck type weekend very soon. Watch those listings!!

Did I say that some years ago I played at Wentworth and Wembley in the same week? :wink: :wink: :wink:

*Actor tv chappie - not what you'd like your girlfriend to dabble in
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
james_m

Post by james_m »

Straight from the discovery channel website:

Real Life Commandos
Sun, Oct. 23, at 8 p.m. ET/PT
Real Life Commandos follows a 30-week training course for the Royal Marine Commandos in Devon, England. Through rigorous training footage and interviews of instructors and recruits, we see why it is considered the hardest basic training in the world.

30 weeks?? This indicates it may be a little old but I guess the basics are still there!

Should be good
Cheers
James
Worthers Original

Looks like that show is just on the American "Military" Channel.
lil-j '88

Post by lil-j '88 »

lol aahh my mum will love watching that the night before i go away lol

it'll be interesting though, never seen a decent documentary on training just that pretty naff one we get to see in the careers office!!

cheers lads, j
lil-j '88

Post by lil-j '88 »

oh! reading skills just kicked in, b*ll*cks!! i was lucking forward to that.
Galant

Post by Galant »

Well, since I'm currently in the US I can watch it, if it's good I should be able to put in on DVD.