Share This Page:

What jobs are open to you once you come out?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
cosmo

What jobs are open to you once you come out?

Post by cosmo »

Say if i'm in the marines for 4 years doing general duties, then i decide to come out, what jobs would employ me purely for being in the marines? if any?

thanks.
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

brace yourself for a beasting.

search it mate before posting things like that!
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

cosmo if your already thinking like this now why bother?
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

To be fair to the guy Im think what will I have to offer potential employers once my spell is up in the Regiment so its not really a bad question to ask.
To be fair it would be down to how you market yourself once you leave the RM, what skills you have learnt etc. Are you looking to go into civvy protection side of things etc or get away from the world of guns and green stuff?
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

but thinking of doing the absolute minimum time and what careers it will get you is a bit different to planning for a life outside the wire once your in surely?

cosmo you are aware that you can leave during training if you dont like it?

although that wastes money and takes someone elses place who may have stuck it
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

markthestab wrote:but thinking of doing the absolute minimum time and what careers it will get you is a bit different to planning for a life outside the wire once your in surely?
Fair one Mark, guess I was reading it from a different angle to you.
Humph

Post by Humph »

markthestab wrote:but thinking of doing the absolute minimum time and what careers it will get you is a bit different to planning for a life outside the wire once your in surely?

cosmo you are aware that you can leave during training if you dont like it?

although that wastes money and takes someone elses place who may have stuck it
Whats the problem? If you get in and pass out then its up to you isn't it? Surely youve earned the right to make that decision and they give you the option to do a SSC so why not take it if its good for your plans.

Nothing wrong with planning ahead and TBH not all of us see it as a long term career and that doesnt mean we take training for selection and what the corps are about any less seriously than somone talking the talk of staying in for life.

Humph
markd

Post by markd »

I have a friend who has just left the paras and hes now head of security for some big company or other. If you behave yourself and get and honourable discharge then you could become a prison officer. Personally though I can't think of anything I want to be except a royal, and if i'm able to earn my green beret i'll want to go the whole hog.
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

its not just the marines, it seems strange to me to go into any job thinking about leaving it as soon as possible

but especially when something is though to earn, why put yourself through it if you dont really want it, and can you do something that hard when you dont really want it, or do you just wrap waste money and fook it up for someone else

bad drills IMO!
Humph

Post by Humph »

markthestab wrote:its not just the marines, it seems strange to me to go into any job thinking about leaving it as soon as possible

but especially when something is though to earn, why put yourself through it if you dont really want it, and can you do something that hard when you dont really want it, or do you just wrap waste money and fook it up for someone else

bad drills IMO!
How is someone not wanting that much determined by the amount of time they hope to stay in? Surely 'wanting it' is determined on selection and during training. At the end of the day you want a green lid - does the time scale really come into it that much baring in mind it will be around 4 -5 years at the earliest before you can leave of your own accord How are you wasting money if you are given the option to do a SSC? If it was a waste of money then why would they offer it? Your not fooking it up for anyone else because if they were good enough they would be in so that doesent wash. although granted to my knowledge edpending on the size of the officer intake they have to start weeding people out even though they have passed so to speak (feel free to correct me if im wrong.) Granted if you wrap in training thats a different story but im sure theres been plenty who had their sights on a long career who wrapped because they found out that they couldnt actually hack it.

Humph
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

cept im not talking about leaving on an SSC being a waste of money im talking about wrapping being a waste of money

as for the rest its nothing to do with timescale its to do with attitude, planning to leave as soon as possible at any job isnt the best start

nothing wrong with doing the minimum service if youve had your fill or circumstances have changed, but one step at a time, planning to leave before even starting is bad drills
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

markthestab wrote: nothing wrong with doing the minimum service if youve had your fill or circumstances have changed, but one step at a time, planning to leave before even starting is bad drills
in your eyes maybe, but by going off what you're saying, i take it that i'm not allowed to think about my own future?

... :roll:
im2skill

Post by im2skill »

A few questions
Min service is 4 years after training?
You can leave before 6 months?
It's impossible to leave before 4 years?

I think you're being unfair. He's just wants to know what options he has if he doesn't like the marines.
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

im2skill wrote:
I think you're being unfair. He's just wants to know what options he has if he doesn't like the marines.
Thankyou. :)

I think the minimum service is just under 3 years (taken off the RN website), but you have 6 months after you pass out training to decide if you want to stay in or not-- i think (unless i read it wrong on the RN website, either it means that, or it means something completely different.), can someone clarify for me?
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

cosmo wrote:
markthestab wrote: nothing wrong with doing the minimum service if youve had your fill or circumstances have changed, but one step at a time, planning to leave before even starting is bad drills
in your eyes maybe, but by going off what you're saying, i take it that i'm not allowed to think about my own future?

... :roll:
i couldnt give a monkeys what your dreams are, im stating my oppinion, but ill offer you some advice, if your planning on joining you might want to keep to yourself the plan of using the marines as a stepping stone to a civilian security job

you may or may not choose to follow this advice and they may or may not tell you to f**k off

its more a case of one step at a time, if you want the marines then go for the marines, you dont have to be a marine to do a civilian security job in iraq, people go straight from the TA and even with no military or police training