Share This Page:

Shocked!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
cosmo

Shocked!

Post by cosmo »

I usually do this run around mine, either the 3 mile circuit or the 2.2 mile circuit, anyway i decided i wa going to do the 2.2 mile one, and half way you turn around and run back, or you can carry on (we didn't know how far it was, but we knew it was FAR to the end), its like an old road which goes through fields and is surrounded by tree's, cars don't go down there as it leads to nowhere, anyway, me and me mate decided to carry on instead of turning around at the 1.1 mile point..

.. i carried on plodding along, my legs where burning and i was breathing out my arse, in the blazing heat with no clouds in the sky.

..FINALLY i got to the end after seeing a sign saying "East Lancashire Road 3/4 mile ---->" and i ran to the end where it comes out on the East Lancs road, and thought "shit", now i've gotta run back, anyway i turned around and plodded on, nackered, shirt off getting bitten by flies all over torturing myself in this heat...

1 hour later from starting running i get back where i start.

i was waiting for 10 minutes for my mate to get back (he was behind me running, hes slower), anyway when he got back we drove his car up the road, and it clocked 4.4 miles to the end in total, and obviously its 4.4 miles back, so i ran 8.8 miles in an hour, which isn't too good to be honest (or is it?!), but considering i've never ran that far before, i didn't need to stop either, i was just totally W@nkered on the way back, sweating to hell, it was torture.

I'm going again tommorow doing the full 8.8 miles again. :P

(my legs are acheing to hell today)

I was shocked to find out how far i had ran. har har!

When i got to the end of the road (4.4 miles) i thought i CAN'T turn around and carry on with this, i felt that i had to walk but i carried on running, my legs where in so much pain and agony, but no matter how much you feel you need to stop, you don't need to, you can always go them extra few miles, this might seem strange but that run yesterday made me realise the limits of my body's endurance, they are much more than i had thought.

Just thought i'd share that with you all, give you some motivation.
dalo

Post by dalo »

So you want to give us motivation, when you left your mate behind to stick it out himself, come on, did you not want to motivate him. Normally when i go for a run with my mates, its WITH my mates so when its checkout time and we are finished we motivate each other because none of us stop. anyway mate thats a good time you got there, considering things such as the heat etc well done. Remember all you can do is improve on it so keep at it.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

we go at our own paces and forget about each other, i want to get better and so does he, so theres no point in me keeping at his pace which is alot slower than mine because i'm never going to improve then. :)
HardRock

Post by HardRock »

Sorry Cosmo, but I would rather help me mate out and motivate him rather than leave him puffing behind. As for motivating us, it certainly sounds like you are fitter than me, but their are certainly others on the forum that are a lot fitter than you.

I personally do not feel that your post (by its wording) was not aimed to be motivational, but you are looking to brag.

Well I can hold my head up high and say I may be slow, but I have never left a friend behind. My friends that are fitter than me, support me. Its a crazy concept, called 'teamwork' I believe.

Rock
A great quote from the "Destination: D-Day" series:

"Right, you've done the hard bit, now make it look easy"

Desire. Grit. Determination. Victory.
Felias

Post by Felias »

cosmo wrote:we go at our own paces and forget about each other, i want to get better and so does he, so theres no point in me keeping at his pace which is alot slower than mine because i'm never going to improve then. :)
Have that kind fo attitude on PRMC or Commando training and you in for a little shock because I was once like you! Now thats the opposite! They are looking for team players.
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

bleh, he isn't training to go in any armed forces, i knew people would take all this the wrong way and all that, he is running to lose weight, nothing else, hes happy at his pace and i'm happy at mine.

and this post wasn't a brag at all, i was just shocked to see how far i had ran, as i didn't think it was that far atall, and yes, there is someone who is always fitter than you, i know that, and that is that.

tra.
bird

Post by bird »

I'm sure he could be even fitter if you helped him out and helped motivate him.

Bird
On the road to recovery.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

The man will have plenty of time and training to make him work as part of a unit if he gets in. Before you can do that though, you need to be able to push yourself. Personally I think training solo at this point is much more important than with your mate / brother / dog / dog's dentist. Though it is quite funny seeing Feely lecture someone on their attitude :wink:

Besides, you are all missing the bloody point - he's training for RM, his mate isn't, and clearly doesn't want to be going that hard!
dalo

Post by dalo »

Good point, and as i said before well done cosmo on the times, lol but i think you knew they were good anyway, so dont think the "dunno if thats good or not" was necessary. But well done mate.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Sounds like its just a bragging post to me. And I would think - instead of giving people 'motivation' it would make them feel unsure about their own abililty.

8.8miles in 60mins is 6.49 a mile or a 20.29 - 3miles x 3.

Very good.

But you`ve stated before you had shin splints once - running 18 miles in 3 days sounds like a sure shot way to get them back. Although you did state you were cured of shin splints by running on concrete so maybe you will be fine.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

The fact that Cosmo doesn't hold his mates hand when they go for a run together doesn't mean that he lacks any ability to work in a team. At least he motivates his friend to run in the first place. Some of you are acting like Cosmo left his mate behind to get savaged by wild beasts, I'm sure his mate gets plenty of motivation from the fact that he gets pissed on everytime they go for a run together, besides that it's only a run it's not the commando course.

Of course the post has something to do with bragging, hasn't anyone here ever been proud of something and want to show it off to an extent? There is also definately an element of motivation behind it, whether it is intended or not we will never know, but i'll give Cosmo the benefit of the doubt.

Good time mate, who wouldn't be shocked/chuffed with that. When I get back into training proper I'll try and beat that. Ergo who've motivated me.

Cheers.
Felias

Post by Felias »

My time today was 50:21. That was for 8 miles. I tried to avoid running in heat. Shin splits were not cured but simply less painful for me now. After a fortnight out they still were pain ful as hell. I will tell you what hsocked me. My pressup score, I am now on 98(not timed just my max) training has been 2/3 sets a day. I am just surprized at the big jump from 50 to 98 in just 2 weeks. I think cos I stopped my other training program ie doing pressups with rucksack(hard and does not work).

PS, Royal Marines are a fab corps! The best in my opinion!! :D
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

My time today was 50:21. That was for 8 miles. I tried to avoid running in heat. Shin splits were not cured but simply less painful for me now. After a fortnight out they still were pain ful as hell. I will tell you what hsocked me. My pressup score, I am now on 98(not timed just my max) training has been 2/3 sets a day. I am just surprized at the big jump from 50 to 98 in just 2 weeks. I think cos I stopped my other training program ie doing pressups with rucksack(hard and does not work).

PS, Royal Marines are a fab corps! The best in my opinion!!
Now that is what I call a bragging post. :wink:
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

aye i was expecting the "you'll never get in the marines bollocks because you don't motivate your mate", hes running to lose weight so he only needs to keep his heart beat up basically, i am training for something alot more and harder, hence why i was running ahead and faster, or how else am i going to get better?

themattmeister made me laugh about the savaged by wild beasts joke :lol: it did seem like i had done that, but at the end of the day its only a run, one of many, i run with or without me mate, i know very well about team work, but i am not going to hinder MY training for someone to lose weight, in which he is not training for the same thing. :)
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Felias wrote:My time today was 50:21. That was for 8 miles. I tried to avoid running in heat. Shin splits were not cured but simply less painful for me now. After a fortnight out they still were pain ful as hell. I will tell you what hsocked me. My pressup score, I am now on 98(not timed just my max) training has been 2/3 sets a day. I am just surprized at the big jump from 50 to 98 in just 2 weeks. I think cos I stopped my other training program ie doing pressups with rucksack(hard and does not work).
That's it, this is pissing me off.

Felias, you run 8 miles in 50 minutes (6 minutes per mile) in hot weather, with shin splints. You double the amount of pressups you can do, an increase of 50, in only 2 weeks. You also can do this with what must be a huge bodyweight, as you used to weigh 18.9 stone (so claimed in another thread), so must have the frame of a fecking elephant, considering that you are so uberfit that it couldn't possibly have been fat. And this is all before you have even finished growing, since you claimed to be around 20 a while ago. Arnie didn't weigh 18.9 stone when he was 20 matey. Sumo champions are lighter.

If all this is true, congrats on the Nobel Physics prize, since you seem to be breaking Newton's Laws all over the damn place. You should also just toss in the military and go straight to the Olympics, seems you would do equally well in, say, the marathon as in the weightlifting.

You, sir, are full of it. I suggest you learn to shut the hell up before someone really decides to rip into you.