Share This Page:

So I've got myself a shiny pair of boots...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ashley

So I've got myself a shiny pair of boots...

Post by ashley »

...after I receiving my certificate for passing PRMC.

I would type out a couple of paragraphs about it, but I'm not in the mood for righting write now. So, ask me any question you want about it.

My scores were:

10.5 Bleep test (Shitty, feel free to remind me)
47 Pressups
67 Situps
6 Pullups
3:39 Assault Course
3 Miler Pass

I have some delicious looking blisters on my heels. I've drained one, and the other decided it enjoyed being stuck to my blister plaster so much that it came off with it. Could someone please tell me what's the best way to deal with these things?

Also, what's a good, proven way, of breaking in boots?

Thanks,
ash
druadan

Post by druadan »

Congrats mate, good effort. Another 32 weeks of that and you'll have your lid :roll: Blisters, not a lot you can do, make sure you disinfect them (liquid or spray better than cream), stick a plaster over them if you're wearing footwear, let them breathe when you're not. And start to get used to them 8)

There's loads of tried and tested ways of breaking in boots, personally I just walked around in the bath until they were soaked through, then wore them around the house constantly until they were fully dry (couple of days). After that, lots of polish, and keep wearing them around the house. You don't do any phys in them for a bit when you join, so they break themselves in pretty well just through use. No need to go walking miles in them.
AC

Post by AC »

If you've been issued assault boots then what i did was filled 'em full of warm water (take the insoles out first), leave 'em for two or three hours, pour water out, then wear 'em for the rest of the day. The leather softens and moulds itself around your foot. Repeat the process until you're happy with 'em.
If it doesn't hurt it's not worth doing!
druadan

Post by druadan »

Oh, get a decent pair of insoles, Sorbothanes or something, issued are crap. Not needed for the first few weeks, but when you start doing big yomps and long exercises in wet boot they're a godsend. Same for a decent pair of socks (NOT Thousand Milers, they're generally accepted as crap). Again not really for phase 1, but definitely later in training.
speed freek

Post by speed freek »

Congrats on the pass ashley.

How many was on the PRMC ? How many of these passed ?
How did you find the new format? , ie 3 mile run first.
How did this bottom field session compare to your one a year ago ?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

good effort on passing.

when i got my boots i filled them with as hot water as i could comfortably stand, sloshed about in them for a bit then pulled on a pair of those lined no-blister socks and ran a few miles.

yeah i had blisters but the boots felt so much better after.
after the blisters went, the felt better still!
lew

Post by lew »

Hey ash, as I said on messenger congrates. best way I found to break boots is was to wear them constantly. I didnt bother with socking them in water though.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
cliffchallanger

Nice one on passing mate

Post by cliffchallanger »

um, do you see the three mile how fast of a pase were you going at because i dont really no how fast i should be going :S
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

Who do we have here then :lol:

Well done again mate, if only you were as good looking as me :P
wato212

Re: Nice one on passing mate

Post by wato212 »

cliffchallanger wrote:um, do you see the three mile how fast of a pase were you going at because i dont really no how fast i should be going :S
7 min miles, what you should be aiming for.
Cairnzy

Post by Cairnzy »

hey ash,
i just ask my pop's wot he did to prevent blisters, he said first break into them by just wearing them around the house and also wear two lairs of socks one being u're standard issued thick socks and a really thin pair that u would normally wear with a suit.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Could always go with what we used to do when rowing to prevent blisters.

First, when you get a blister, remove loose skin / drain it (better option), then either rub or inject surgical spirit into the raw new skin. It will hurt like buggery f@#k, but toughens up the skin so it doesnt happen again. Rubbing surgical spirit into your hands generally helps a little bit, but not nearly as much as treating new skin (it's a bit like reverse-tanning leather...).

Second, walk barefoot as much as you can.

Third (psycho option), if above is impossible, and stick with me here, you can try to form callouses. Discovered this accidentally when I couldn't be arsed to resole a pair of boots I wore constantly a few years back, so walked around with nails sticking into my feet for ages. My heels are now calloused enough to step on tacks without them piercing, and haven't had a blister forever :)
sandaz

Post by sandaz »

hey total congrats dude for passing ya prmc!! Hopefully be doing mine soon :D any chance of adding me on messenger to make it easyer if i need any advise ? : sanders_141_uk@hotmail.com, ta
c sanders
liam17

Post by liam17 »

i got my prmc in a few days, any advise for a few days before i go
my msn is liam9379@hotmail.com if its easier
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

hey total congrats dude for passing ya prmc!! Hopefully be doing mine soon any chance of adding me on messenger to make it easyer if i need any advise ?
How charming...... a text thingy from some nice person in Alabama. One would have to assume that the correspondent has failed to read the forum post requesting proper use of the English language, no text messaging and an adherence to language useable on the streets of a British City...........NOT chuffing downtown MacDonaldville PLC! :roll:
Last edited by El Prez on Thu 19 May, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente