Share This Page:

Yet Another Of Those "Is This Too Much" Threads...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ghost

Yet Another Of Those "Is This Too Much" Threads...

Post by Ghost »

..Sorry Guys! :P

Right now my running is kinda lax, in other words, two 1milers and a 3 miler every week. However, I was thinking of trying this out:

Monday: REST
Tuesday: BFT
Wednesday: 20-30mins fartleks
Thursday: REST
Friday: 3 miler
Saturday: Miler
Sunday: 5 miler

I guess what I'm asking is if you think this is too big a jump, I'm only 15 but want to start now so I'll be ready for the RMR at 17. I do the 3 and 5 miler on roads, so there's a risk of shin splints, but everything else is done round a football pitch. I guess there's a lot concentrated over the weekend, which is why I've left Monday as a R&R day. :P

So, what do you think guys?

Zak :)
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

it doesnt take 2 years to get fit enough for RMR (or any military branch for that matter), it took my mate 4 months of good solid training to get fit enough to pass PRMC, he maxed out all his pressups/situps/pullups/got a good score on the assault course and hammered the 3 miler (so he says :lol:) .. :wink:

anyway, about a year later, he got his beret!

edit: speLing.
toffee

Post by toffee »

try it, different programmes work for different people you need to know what you want out of it. sounds like your concentrating on cv a bit too much you need to put a bit more upper body/strength exercises in there aswell.
you want it bad enough, you will get it.
the_trainee

Post by the_trainee »

what are fartleks
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Introduction

Fartlek, developed in the 1930's, comes from the Swedish for 'Speed Play' and combines continuous and interval training. Fartlek allows the athlete to run whatever distance and speed they wish, varying the intensity, and occasionally running at high intensity levels. This type of training stresses both the aerobic and anaerobic energy pathways.
Fartlek for Runners

The following are a selection of fartlek sessions for runners:
Watson Fartlek

This is good training for 10k, 5k, 3k and cross country.

* 10 minutes warm up jog.
* Stride hard for 4 minutes with 1 minute jog recovery - repeat 8 times
* 10 minute warm down jog

Saltin Fartlek

This is good training for 1500m, 5k and 3k.

* Repeat 6 times - Stride hard for 3 minutes with 1 minute jog run recovery.

Astrand Fartlek

This is good training for 800m .

* Repeat 3 times - Maximum effort for 75 seconds, 150 seconds jog run, maximum effort for 60 seconds, 120 seconds jog run.

Gerschler Fartlek

This is good training for getting fit quickly when combined with steady running.

* Repeat 3 times - Stride hard for 30 seconds, jog 90 seconds. repeat with 15 second decreases in recovery jog e.g. 30-90, 30-75, 30-60, 30-45, 30-30, 30-15 and 30-15-30.

Hill Fartlek

* Select a 2 mile hilly course. Repeat 3 times - Run hard up all hills twice before moving to the next hill, jog run between hills.

Whistle Fartlek

The coach, using a whistle, controls the session over a 1200m circumference grass area.

* When the whistle is blown the athletes run hard until the whistle is blown again. Pyramid session of 4 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minutes, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes with a 60 second jog run recovery between each run.

Fartlek for games players

For games players, the session should not just use running, but also jogging and walking to fit in with the demands of the sport. After all, no soccer player actually runs for the whole 90 minutes of a match, the pace is varied. Similarly, the direction of work should not always be straight ahead. This may be important for the track runner who has to cover the ground as quickly as possible in one direction, but the games player has to go forwards, backwards and from side to side. This must all be taken into account if the training session is going to mimic accurately the pattern experienced in a match. Remember, if you are a games player, you are not training to be a better sprinter, you are training to be better at your game Therefore, sprinting should not just take the form of back and forth shuttles but should make you change direction or even imitate a slalom. This is where the imaginative element comes into play.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fartlek.htm
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Just been for my 3 miler, got 20:58. Is that decent for my age, do you think?

Zak :-?
W.Mitty

Post by W.Mitty »

Like toffee says I would chuck in some other stuff to your training programe aswell, like a bit of gym work and swimming, if all you do is running thats all you will end up being good at.

Also if you are planning to join in 2 years, I see no point in killing yourself to get fit now, just take it easy and nearer the time up the anti otherwise you will burn yourself out.

All you need is a slightly above average all round fitness level, but well above average levels of determination. If it was all about fitness then all the gym queens that joined would pass and this is not the case.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I can't join the local gym until next year, but I try to do two sets of press-, sit- and pull-ups every day. I guess I just prefer running.

Zak :)