Share This Page:

Falklands PC Game

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
MrMitty

Falklands PC Game

Post by MrMitty »

Shrapnel Games is excited to announce that Patrick Proctor and his company, ProSIM, are currently developing a simulation of the Falklands War conflict.

Shrapnel Games is excited to announce that Patrick Proctor and his company, ProSIM, are currently developing a simulation of the Falklands War conflict. The project lead, Gary Bezant, currently resides in the U.K. and has twenty-three years of military experience as an artillery officer. A longtime wargamer and history buff, Gary brings his expert knowledge of British military history to ProSIM and the game itself, tentatively titled War in the Falklands, for the Windows OS.

The Falklands War took place in 1982 and began when Argentina invaded the islands on April 2nd. The conflict lasted until June 13th, which saw the British forces victorious and the Falklands recaptured. The war itself was a curious mixture of modern, high-tech warfare (the sinking of the H.M.S. Sheffield due to an Exocet attack) and low-tech, in your face battles that could have taken place in any conflict over the past fifty years.

The British were outnumbered on the ground, and were for the most part without true air cover, having only the aircraft that came with the task force. The amphibious operations were a potential disaster, as the landing fleet had been rapidly assembled for the upcoming conflict, with many of its members originally destined for the scrap yard. Yet training and valor carried the day, and in the end the British took the islands back and captured over 11,000 prisoners.

ProSIM's War in the Falklands will allow players to examine all facets of the conflict, from amphibious operations (made manageable by their relatively small scope) to naval warfare and special forces. Due to the nature of the war the game is well suited for portraying small unit combat and tactics, something which will be familiar to veterans of ProSIM's other products. Some of the game's highlights include:

* Wage an entire war but at a small scale. Units vary in size from brigade to company
level, with battalion sized amphibious operations possible.

* Full featured naval integration: naval gunfire support, amphibious vehicles, landing
craft, aircraft carriers, and more.

* Extensive unit list of fixed wing and rotary aircraft, including the famous carrier-
based Harrier jumpjet.

* Highly precise maps have always been a hallmark of ProSIM games, and War in the
Falklands is no different. Period correct and digitally accurate British maps of East
and West Falklands will be used to game on.

* The chance to explore hypothetical situations such as the use of heavy armor on both
sides.

The Falklands War is an oft-neglected area of conflict in the wargaming world, in both boardgames and computer games, yet is a perfect conflict for gaming. Forces are manageable, and there is plenty of excitement to be had with the various facets of the conflict: special force and airborne operations, amphibious landings, air combat, the naval dimension, etc.

Currently slated for a spring 2005 release, more details will be available at Shrapnel Games as the release date approaches.
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

sounds good, i'll have to give it a go when it comes out 8)

it best have a good multiplayer :P something to rival Call of Duty.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Probably still too early to bring a game out about the confilct. In the ideal world it would never come out, but thats in an ideal world. People shouldnt be so quick to cash in on things like this.

Cosmo, are you being serious? :roll:
lew

Post by lew »

Jeberdiah Klink wrote:Probably still too early to bring a game out about the confilct. In the ideal world it would never come out, but thats in an ideal world. People shouldnt be so quick to cash in on things like this.
klinkers, that’s the first serious thing from you I’ve read in a while, you feeling ok pal :lol:

Yea I think it probably is still a little too early, but that’s not going to stop them is it.

I know my Grandad used to hate seeing WWII games being advertised, and that war finished in 1945.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

The Falklands war was not a game. Everyone knows exactly what happenned, due to TV etc. People lost their lives in this conflict - on both sides.
It is not something to make a"game" of. I find the idea sickening.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Sneaky speaks from the heart!
My conflicts are younger still but some people feel its ok to make £'s from them. The Falklands Conflict was short but bloody and cost many lives on both sides I personally feel that some of these "games " just cheapen the loss of lives! :cry:
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I'm just going to lob this out for a gen disc.
As it pertains too this thread.
Do you guys really think computer games affect our kids?
Do they really understand game playing is just that?
Violence is on the decrease in the US,and has been for quite a few years.
What happened in the UK?
Don't start Lew :P
lew

Post by lew »

wholley wrote: Violence is on the decrease in the US,and has been for quite a few years.
What happened in the UK?
Don't start Lew :P
Labour got into power about 7 seven years ago :roll:, does that answer your question.

lew
MrMitty

Post by MrMitty »

Morning All

Sorry if I offended those who have served and lost mates in the falklands war. I am a civilian and have never served and therefore am not qualified to comment at all on the conflict itself.

Wholley,

I have disposed of my copy of "Grand Theft Auto" for the playstation due to the fact that my young children started to copy the various punching and shooting moves in the game, saying that it does have an "18" certificate.

Heres a good question for you all though. Do you think that introducing children to shooting sports at a young age is wise?? I would appreciate all your opinions especially those of you in the USA were firearms are more part of the culture i.e. hunting etc.

I am asking because my wifes cousin has offered me the opportunity to go shooting for rabbits etc with him on a local country estate and he has suggested that my 5 year old son could come as his boy who is 7 enjoys it. He is an experienced handler of firearms and also has full permission to use the land etc.

Thanks Guys

Mr Mitty
Artist

Post by Artist »

As a kid I witnessed rabbits, chickens and suchlike have their necks wrung but the meat was later on the table. As to a five year old going out and shooting a weapon. He's your kid so it's your descision. Myself. I'd let him loose, but, under strict supervison. The whys, the whens and the wherefores of killing animals should be drilled into his Head before you let him loose mind.

Shooting an animal for no reason I don't condone. Shooting it because it's a pest or a future meal don't bother me at all.

I have mates who every week go out and ZAP clay Pigeons for fun. I've been out and done the same and a great time is had by all.

I've sat in a hide plugging Wood Pigeons for a farmer. Have spent days and nights killing foxes that were devastating an Estates Game Birds. Both were done for money I might add. The pigeons were sold to a local butcher and the foxs were sold to a Taxidermist. I've also been out in the wilds of the Highlands Culling Deer whilst still in the Mob. A really good way of honing your fieldcraft skills hence why we did it.

OK this may upset a few people but I daresay they have never seen the damage a Fox can cause once it gets into a Breeding pen of Game Birds. "Reynard the Fox" is a bloody menace in the countryside and no amount of "Arr int it sweet" waffle will change that. Wood pigeons are a major cause of failed crops. As to the Deer. To many Deer = Starvation for the entire Deer population.

As to the threads original name. Please read what Sneaky Beaky has said about it. I agree 100% with him.

Artist
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

MrMitty wrote:
Heres a good question for you all though. Do you think that introducing children to shooting sports at a young age is wise?? I would appreciate all your opinions especially those of you in the USA were firearms are more part of the culture i.e. hunting etc.
I think fire-arm SAFTEY should be taught to anyone over five.
The shooting sports are a great way to enjoy and help preserve our wild life and country.
I agree with Artist on this question.
Now ask me about the use of fire-arms for self defense and use of deadly force.
Matt Dillon. 8)
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

I think children should be taught firearms use and the discipline that goes with it. That way they would realise that firearms are dangerous and likely to kill people. Not like computer games where people can be "ressurected" by gathering certain points in other areas. Once shot by a firearm you are, usually, dead, no chance of being revived - unlike lots of computer games.
I also think that children should be taught, or even forced to learn;
Parental discipline, School discipline and the difference between right and wrong.
Unfortunately, our society doesn't think it is important.
Sorry - this has turned into a bit of a rant but I do think that this is important!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Strongly agree with Sneaky on this one!
Remove the glamour and fantasy elements from firearms and show the reality and these so called gang-bangers etc wouldn't want anything to do with guns!
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

I agree with you sneakey about the discipline and right & wrong but i think that children realise the dangers of firearms and that computer games dont take away the realistic factor but they take away the value of human life. (if that makes sense, i've had a couple of drinkys) personally i think that lack of discipline and the uprise of drugs are slowly bringing the downfall of this country.
Only 3% of applicants to the Royal Marines earn the right to wear the green beret.
Sol Bro

Post by Sol Bro »

You got to remember kids now play games rather then watch tv. If a game is made about the falklands conflict than at least those that play it understand a little of how it happened and why.
feed the homeless to the hungry